Weight lifting "records"... NOT political!

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
As far as sports goes, the simplest options would be to make separate leagues or have advantaged individuals compete with their birth sex to negate that advantage. Separate league would probably be easier to implement.

I would LOVE an open league where any performance enhancing substances were "allowed" ala professional body building. I think there will always be a market for the "pure" sports vision, and I know there's a market for all the after-market enhancements you can stomach in whatever athletic endeavor you want.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would LOVE an open league where any performance enhancing substances were "allowed" ala professional body building. I think there will always be a market for the "pure" sports vision, and I know there's a market for all the after-market enhancements you can stomach in whatever athletic endeavor you want.

You know what was super fun? Watching Sammy Sosa and Mark Mcguire launch baseballs out of the stadium 20 years ago.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Giving kids powerful, supplemental hormones... that's gonna be a no from me, dawg
Well, another option is letting those kids deal with depression and anxiety issues until they decide to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. That sounds pretty awesome too, dawg.

The hormones aren't any more "powerful" than what's already in the human body.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I think people have to understand that this is still a new thing. It's still developing, under study, new treatments, things are always going on here, it's nowhere close to settled. It'll take time to study pros/cons/effects of treatments at certain ages, different regimens, etc., but we shouldn't shut ourselves off to study and advancement just because something seems "unnatural" or "wrong" to some people. We're not really playing God here, we're trying to work within limitations and issues we have presented to us.

As far as decision making goes, it may as well be like anything else -- if the parents sign off on it, go for it. If they don't and f*** their own kids up even worse, that's the parents' faults.

As far as sports goes, the simplest options would be to make separate leagues or have advantaged individuals compete with their birth sex to negate that advantage. Separate league would probably be easier to implement.
To be clear, transgendered people have been around as long as there have been people. What is "new" is the open discussion about how to operate in a world that was built around 1s and 0s when the reality is everywhere in between.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Well, another option is letting those kids deal with depression and anxiety issues until they decide to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. That sounds pretty awesome too, dawg.

Difference is the body is operating from a time tested blue print and does what it does because that's how it grows people.

I'm not anti-trans but I do think arbitrarily changing an entire person's identity at age 8 is extreme. I get the psychological part and in my mind that is where you address it until the person is in a position to make a more informed decision.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Difference is the body is operating from a time tested blue print and does what it does because that's how it grows people.

Correct about the blueprint. During early development the gonads of the fetus remain undifferentiated; that is, all fetal genitalia are the same and are phenotypically female. It is only the introduction of hormones that cause sexual differentiation.

I'm not anti-trans but I do think arbitrarily changing an entire person's identity at age 8 is extreme. I get the psychological part and in my mind that is where you address it until the person is in a position to make a more informed decision.
It's not changing your identity at 8. It's affirming your identity at age 8.

(FYI, as stated many times, I knew from my earliest memories, so around age 6.)

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It's not changing your identity at 8. It's affirming your identity at age 8.

(FYI, as stated many times, I knew from my earliest memories, so around age 6.)
Yes, this. I know a 13 year old going through this journey. By age 10 they knew something was wrong and they started showing signs of depression. With a therapist they were able to confirm what was causing their issues, and now that they have started the transition process - like @harimad said it's about delaying development right now. They are also getting ready to see a gender therapist who will continue to assess and help them understand their options. Thank god they have access to the Seattle Children's Gender Clinic, and a supportive immediate and extended family. It breaks my heart to think about people in the same situation without those incredible resources.

But hey, what about mah sports bro?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Furthermore, in weightlifting and powerlifting there are literally dozens of federations each with their own record books. Some allow trans athletes, some don't. Some drug test, some don't. Find the federation that aligns with what you want. And in these sports it's all about pride and setting PRs. The winners of most meets take home at most a couple grand. It's not something you do to support yourself. It's not like you're taking food from someone's family.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa

A f****** kid doesn’t know if they want to change genders. Come back to reality.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Fine. A child’s brain is no where even remotely close to being developed enough to make such life altering decisions. Any parent that allows such hormone therapy should be jailed for child abuse.
You have very strong opinions on this topic. Now I'm curious; what experience do you have with transgender people? What research have you done into the science? More to the point... who hurt you?

@Cytown12 you too.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat