2020 Football Targets

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
It'd be nice to have a kicker that can put it through the endzone. Who was doing kickoffs this year? It seemed like the farthest they could get it was the 5. But perhaps that was by design? Campbell recently bragged about our kickoff return coverage which apparently was great unless we were playing K State.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It'd be nice to have a kicker that can put it through the endzone. Who was doing kickoffs this year? It seemed like the farthest they could get it was the 5. But perhaps that was by design? Campbell recently bragged about our kickoff return coverage which apparently was great unless we were playing K State.
I believe that's by design. You don't really see guys take the kick off out of the end zone much anymore, so pin pointing the kick off at the 5 makes the returner have to make a decision on whether he wants to fair catch it or take it. If you don't allow them to get 20 yards, you net a positive result.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I believe that's by design. You don't really see guys take the kick off out of the end zone much anymore, so pin pointing the kick off at the 5 makes the returner have to make a decision on whether he wants to fair catch it or take it. If you don't allow them to get 20 yards, you net a positive result.

So I went back through our 12 games last season. We had 60 kickoffs.
3 went OOB
1 went for a TD
4 were fair caught
8 were touchbacks

So only 20% (12 out of 60) of our kickoffs were placed at the 25. So, one conclusion I have is that we fair catch way more of the kickoffs that come to us than what other teams are choosing to fair catch. Also, other teams are better at putting the ball into the end zone on the kickoff than what we did.

I would tend to agree with Statefan, this almost has to be by design. Our coaches want our kickoffs to be returned. 80% of our kicks were either returned or went out of bounds before they could be returned. That has to be one of the higher percentages of returnable kicks in college football last year, and I can't imagine we did it by chance alone.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So I went back through our 12 games last season. We had 60 kickoffs.
3 went OOB
1 went for a TD
4 were fair caught
8 were touchbacks

So only 20% (12 out of 60) of our kickoffs were placed at the 25. So, one conclusion I have is that we fair catch way more of the kickoffs that come to us than what other teams are choosing to fair catch. Also, other teams are better at putting the ball into the end zone on the kickoff than what we did.

I would tend to agree with Statefan, this almost has to be by design. Our coaches want our kickoffs to be returned. 80% of our kicks were either returned or went out of bounds before they could be returned. That has to be one of the higher percentages of returnable kicks in college football last year, and I can't imagine we did it by chance alone.
Yeah I find it fascinating that we chose to not return as many kicks as we did. Punting was obvious.. our punt return team was absolutely horrific. But Nwangu was the best kick returner in the Big 12 his freshman year and last year we didn't even try to use him as a weapon. I'm not sure if that was Campbell having a ton of confidence in the offense moving the ball, but it eliminates a large element of the game. The winning percentage of a game sky rockets after a special teams touchdown.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Air Force, Army and Navy offered him. I don't see academics being the issue there?
I have no idea what the academic standards are for military schools. They might be extremely low, or they might be average so i can't say and don't feel like googling

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Yeah I find it fascinating that we chose to not return as many kicks as we did. Punting was obvious.. our punt return team was absolutely horrific. But Nwangu was the best kick returner in the Big 12 his freshman year and last year we didn't even try to use him as a weapon. I'm not sure if that was Campbell having a ton of confidence in the offense moving the ball, but it eliminates a large element of the game. The winning percentage of a game sky rockets after a special teams touchdown.

Return percent went down after that horrific decision to return the one kick off late in the Iowa game which got stuffed AND we had a penalty putting us in a hole.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Return percent went down after that horrific decision to return the one kick off late in the Iowa game which got stuffed AND we had a penalty putting us in a hole.
I think the Iowa game set a tone for the rest of the year in regards to our return teams. I think that game made our coaching staff second guess almost every single decision and it hurt us. We got incredibly passive and so passive that when we decided to actually take the chance to return a punt or a kick, I think we played not to screw up and that's the worst way to play.

• Agree
Reactions: CyberJJJ

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha

I noticed in the Superbowl, it seemed that KC purposely kicked to about the goal line or 2-yard line, then they stuffed the Niners on the 10-yard line or maybe the 15. It was very effective. Then when they went ahead 31 - 10, I noticed their kicker booted it out of the endzone because the only thing that could really hurt them there would be a kickoff return for TD. So, I think it can be a strategy to encourage the opponent to return the kick and then stop them short of the 25.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron