2023 NFL Draft

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Looking at the Bears draft, I see that they only drafted one OL. I find myself left with the conclusion that they had a better OL the last few years than I thought they had.

That said, I’m not really sure what drafting a grand total of three DT’s means.
The were pretty leaky against the run last year. Possibly the worst in the league without looking it up

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

It would be interesting to see trend of drafted players over last 20 years comparing each P5 conference and G5 in aggregate.

Through round 3 yesterday something like 93 P5 and 9 G5 players. Are we seeing many of the best G5 players transferring to P5 or is P5 identifying HS talent better?

IMO the days of G5 schools having a voice at the table when the playoff expands to 12 or 16 teams is going to be limited.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I recorded the GB pick and I'll be honest, I was more psyched for the Jets pick when I was there at the draft. My buddies gave me crap, but couldn't be more happy for Will. I hope he dominates and Jets do well. The fact that him, Breece, and Lazard are together is crazy and awesome. They're definitely my 2nd team now.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I recorded the GB pick and I'll be honest, I was more psyched for the Jets pick when I was there at the draft. My buddies gave me crap, but couldn't be more happy for Will. I hope he dominates and Jets do well. The fact that him, Breece, and Lazard are together is crazy and awesome. They're definitely my 2nd team now.
He got lots of hate from fans on social media because they think the pick was an overreach, but the coaches seem SUPER high on him, essentially thinking (correctly) he was used wrong at ISU as a 4i technique instead of Wide 9, and even despite that, still produced like a beast. Saleh even told him exactly that when he called to tell him he was drafting him. Seems like a lot of the analysts agree. He’s gonna have to earn the fans there, but I think he couldn’t be put in a much better position than with what Saleh will do for him.

• Friendly
Reactions: 4theCYcle

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
He got lots of hate from fans on social media because they think the pick was an overreach, but the coaches seem SUPER high on him, essentially thinking (correctly) he was used wrong at ISU as a 4i technique instead of Wide 9, and even despite that, still produced like a beast. Saleh even told him exactly that when he called to tell him he was drafting him. Seems like a lot of the analysts agree. He’s gonna have to earn the fans there, but I think he couldn’t be put in a much better position than with what Saleh will do for him.
I haven't even checked twitter for info. I loved that the make a wish kid made the pick. Was so cool to experience live in person and was so hyped that Will broke ISU's 1st round streak. Fact that hes still raw and has a lot of room for growth since he's only been playing since his junior year in HS, he can definitely have success there. Props to Kiper for making the correct call. Hope I am able to watch the jets on tv a lot next year, I was trying to visit with several jets fans when I came across them in KC.

I get many want to say he was used incorrectly at ISU, but he still got double teamed a lot. Obviously he didn't have as much success this year, but Heacock is no moron either so he definitely brought out the best in him.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Wrong and different are two different things. And how wrong could it have been since he’s the Big XII all time sack leader and a first round pick?

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Will was a huge part of the defense for us. Playing a 3 man front put him in a lot of bad situations both on running and passing downs and didn’t allow him to be manned up against a tackle on his own that frequently.

If the only metrics that matter are sacks/pressures, then yes, ISU used him in the “wrong” way. His alignment didn’t allow him to get the numbers that he could have gotten in other schemes.

However, if the goal was to have an incredibly good team defense, he was used the “right” way, in that he did the job he was asked and became the all time big12 sack leader.

Draft experts and pundits saying he was used incorrectly aren’t wrong. It’s not an insult to the ISU staff. It’s not an insult to ISU fans. Will has the prototypical edge rushing hybrid DE/OLB frame, but we used him as a DE often shading inside.

Our scheme worked wonderfully with Will. His athleticism allowed him to thrive in a non-optimal scenario for his body type.

It’s also true that as a part of the greater whole, this has been the most successful period of team defense likely in school history.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Wrong and different are two different things. And how wrong could it have been since he’s the Big XII all time sack leader and a first round pick?
Wrong to his skill set. Heacock used him to the needs of the defense, but lining a 235 pound dude up over tackle isn’t the best usage of the skill set in today’s day and age. I don’t think anyone ever would question Heacock, but in a different defensive set, McDonald probably could have shone even brighter than he already did.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Will was a huge part of the defense for us. Playing a 3 man front put him in a lot of bad situations both on running and passing downs and didn’t allow him to be manned up against a tackle on his own that frequently.

If the only metrics that matter are sacks/pressures, then yes, ISU used him in the “wrong” way. His alignment didn’t allow him to get the numbers that he could have gotten in other schemes.

However, if the goal was to have an incredibly good team defense, he was used the “right” way, in that he did the job he was asked and became the all time big12 sack leader.

Draft experts and pundits saying he was used incorrectly aren’t wrong. It’s not an insult to the ISU staff. It’s not an insult to ISU fans. Will has the prototypical edge rushing hybrid DE/OLB frame, but we used him as a DE often shading inside.

Our scheme worked wonderfully with Will. His athleticism allowed him to thrive in a non-optimal scenario for his body type.

It’s also true that as a part of the greater whole, this has been the most successful period of team defense likely in school history.
Exactly this. It’s not Heacock’s job to put guys in the NFL. It’s his job to get the most out of his defense he can get with the guys he’s got to help win games. And that’s exactly what he’s done. McDonald, as an individual alone, simply would have likely benefited in more of a Michah Parsons type role than in a straight DE JJ Watt kind of role. He still denominated despite that. But he’ll flourish in the role Saleh is going to put him in. He’ll be able to use his speed and block shedding skills to their fullest and won’t have to rely on bull rushing guys that are 120 pounds heavier than him.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Exactly this. It’s not Heacock’s job to put guys in the NFL. It’s his job to get the most out of his defense he can get with the guys he’s got to help win games. And that’s exactly what he’s done. McDonald, as an individual alone, simply would have likely benefited in more of a Michah Parsons type role than in a straight DE JJ Watt kind of role. He still denominated despite that. But he’ll flourish in the role Saleh is going to put him in. He’ll be able to use his speed and block shedding skills to their fullest and won’t have to rely on bull rushing guys that are 120 pounds heavier than him.
Who’s he going to be rushing against? And I’m going to tell you right now that Will McDonald wasn’t “bull rushing” anybody. That’s not his game at all. When you heard them talk about his incredible “bend” that’s a testament to his speed and edge rushing ability.

Reactions: ScottyP

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Who’s he going to be rushing against? And I’m going to tell you right now that Will McDonald wasn’t “bull rushing” anybody. That’s not his game at all. When you heard them talk about his incredible “bend” that’s a testament to his speed and edge rushing ability.
Alright man, I’m sure you’re right and the defensive minded NFL coach that drafted him is wrong. My bad. Carry on.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Ant gets a HoF number of the inventor of the Lambeau Leap.

Anthony Johnson, Jr.: #36​

This is the number for a modern-day safety in Green Bay. Originally made famous by running back MacArthur Lane in the early 1970s, Leroy Butler made it a DB number with his Hall of Fame career in the 1990s. A few years after his retirement, the Packers gave 36 to Nick Collins, who continued on with that exceptional play and was potentially on track for a Canton-worthy career until a neck injury ended his career prematurely. Recently, safeties like Raven Greene and Vernon Scott have worn 36, but none have had an impact remotely similar to those two legendary Packers.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron