2024 Mens CBB Coaching Carousel

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
they can still afford to be patient knowing they have Mark Pope who will say yes to the first offer
I think he's a sneaky good hire for them. Look what he has done at BYU with a fairly limited recruiting base. I see him kind of like TJ, under the radar, extremely hard working guy, but with pretty high basketball IQ.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think he's a sneaky good hire for them. Look what he has done at BYU with a fairly limited recruiting base. I see him kind of like TJ, under the radar, extremely hard working guy, but with pretty high basketball IQ.

That ain’t it at UK. They will never “Tubby Smith” again imo. If they have to go that route they could slip in to that “has been” blue blood aka Indiana pretty quickly.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
That ain’t it at UK. They will never “Tubby Smith” again imo. If they have to go that route they could slip in to that “has been” blue blood aka Indiana pretty quickly.
i think wildcat fans would be happy with "tubby smith" results over next 10 years?

1712851049131.png

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Damn if they whiff on Drew the drop off to that next group is pretty steep. It’s a pretty unique spot where you absolutely need a glad-hander as much as a solid basketball coach.
Could go with Rick. Then Little **** replaces dad. If he does well he then replaces dad again in a few years.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
He rubs me the wrong way. I don't care if coaches complain to the refs. What I do care about is that is coaches who complain about stuff they can't possibly have seen. Like who was last to touch the ball going out of bounds underneath the basket on the opposite end of the floor, or whether a rebound was clean or not on the other end of the floor. Those coaches don't have the angle to possible see those plays, yet still whine about it. Also coaches who don't know the rules and complain about stuff. Pope seems to be in that first category for sure.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Reality check time in Lexington, it seems.

Not that he's not a good coach, but those fans think they can pluck any coach they want
It just could be that the UK sparkle isn't quite as shiny as it used to be.
What I don't get about this is that they haven't really done that with their last few hires. Cal was obviously a big time hire but he came from a Conference USA school. Gillespie took A&M to the Sweet 16, same with Tubby at Georgia, not bad but nothing compared to guys like Hurley and Drew who had won national championships. Pretty ambitious for program that hasn't been out of the first weekend in 6 years.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Reality check time in Lexington, it seems.

Not that he's not a good coach, but those fans think they can pluck any coach they want
It just could be that the UK sparkle isn't quite as shiny as it used to be.
Can you imagine hearing this 20 years ago after the Baylor basketball murder:

In 2024, Kentucky needs a new coach. Kentucky isn't on sanctions, there's nothing being investigated at the University, and they're still putting a pile of dudes in the NBA. Realignment hasn't affected them, they still sell out the arena, and are still playing in the best tournaments.
Baylor's coach turns down the Kentucky job.
Oh and Baylor has won as many national championships since the murder as Kentucky.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What I don't get about this is that they haven't really done that with their last few hires. Cal was obviously a big time hire but he came from a Conference USA school. Gillespie took A&M to the Sweet 16, same with Tubby at Georgia, not bad but nothing compared to guys like Hurley and Drew who had won national championships. Pretty ambitious for program that hasn't been out of the first weekend in 6 years.
I think Pope is a semi logical fit but not a splash. Dude has never won a tournament game.

Can you imagine Bama hiring a football coach that's never won a Bowl game? Woof.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think Pope is a semi logical fit but not a splash. Dude has never won a tournament game.

Can you imagine Bama hiring a football coach that's never won a Bowl game? Woof.

Billy Donovan is their last hope for a big name, but this Pope news makes me feel like he’s not going to happen.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

'Bama has had some clumsy hires over the years, but that is funny!

Reactions: chadly82