49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Nah, he's just doing all the right things and he's pretty damn good. I'd hope any Iowa State fan knows he's got his flaws. He was literally benched his senior year against our top rival.

The problem is, there's just so much talk about him and depending on where you look you can find plenty of people saying he's the best ever or that he's a complete fraud. He's neither.
Watching the game this past Sunday, have to say, SF coaching him out of his fade back out off of his back foot for throws on contact might be the biggest change to his game.

QB school is always calling out Purdy’s base, “cleats in the ground”. That was a big part of some of his errant/throws that caused his at times surgical ISU approach, suddenly cut an artery, then he was the one we had to rely on completely and it snowballed.

Saw a touch of that in the three game slump, and honestly, glad he ran into some of that. Seems like he’s continuing to learn and grow.

I continue to be insanely proud, and pleasantly surprised by how he’s approaching this as a pro.

Gotta give CMC and his staff some credit. They’ve put some really great pros in the league. Talent, sure. But leaders and guys that other pros respect.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

Interesting stat regarding arm strength and the “system”

I wouldn’t say it’s arm strength necessarily… he isn’t throwing bombs. He is throwing with ridiculous anticipation on breaks from his wrs though which is something that few qbs do. So when they hit that 20 yd or 30 yd mark, the ball is there in the bread basket or on the numbers.

Reactions: khardbored

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I wouldn’t say it’s arm strength necessarily… he isn’t throwing bombs. He is throwing with ridiculous anticipation on breaks from his wrs though which is something that few qbs do. So when they hit that 20 yd or 30 yd mark, the ball is there in the bread basket or on the numbers.
Every NFL QB throws the ball to where the receiver is going to be rather than where the receiver is. Purdy just does it better than anyone else.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

A Chase Daniel breakdown of the film of Brock Purdy.

The people that know football, especially QB play rave about Purdy. I've heard mentioned that those passes over the middle that are layered between defenders is incredibly difficult and he does it multiple times a game with ease.

Reactions: Dgilbertson

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
The people that know football, especially QB play rave about Purdy. I've heard mentioned that those passes over the middle that are layered between defenders is incredibly difficult and he does it multiple times a game with ease.

He has tremendous timing, anticipation and accuracy. No doubt about that.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
I think Brock's secret is mental. He just seems to know the plays intricately, knows where players will be, and goes calmly through his progressions and then fires without a conscience.

Steve Young talks about that. It's the processing that is his super power. Pre and post snap. Going through reads and progressions, making the right decision, getting the ball out quick, throwing with anticipation and timing. Throwing with accuracy. He does all of that super well. The mental aspect is where he really has it. Which is the most important to QB play.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Any later it's a pick. Any flatter it's a pick. Any more float and the receiver gets crunched. Any higher it's a pick. Makes for a difficult throw when there just isn't any wiggle room for a less than perfect throw.

Reactions: clonechemist

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm just trying to imagine what kind of a contract and signing bonus he's looking at after next year, assuming his numbers remain relatively close to his performance to this point.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Did Brock ever throw fast balls at ISU? I think he did, but I've not seen it with the 49ers. He's just finessing it into the window instead of forcing it through that window.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
Did Brock ever throw fast balls at ISU? I think he did, but I've not seen it with the 49ers. He's just finessing it into the window instead of forcing it through that window.

Nothing wrong with throwing with accuracy, timing and anticipation. Brees and Montana made a career on it. Yes he throws fastballs sometimes. I've seen him do it from time to time.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
I'm just trying to imagine what kind of a contract and signing bonus he's looking at after next year, assuming his numbers remain relatively close to his performance to this point.

It will be very, very big. The good thing about a rookie contract late pick is his salary is low. Meaning you can keep lots of stars all around on the team. Like they have now. Probably some people will have to go in the end. But of course he will get his money. But at some cost to the overall talent on the team.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I thought Greg Cosell said it in a good way today. Every QB is a system QB. They are taught and asked to execute a system. Some have more arm strength, mobility, weapons, etc. He said Purdy executes at a high level, the system he is asked to execute. He went on to say he throws a good medium to deep ball and has enough mobility to make plays.

SanDiego49er

Oct 2, 2023
I thought Greg Cosell said it in a good way today. Every QB is a system QB. They are taught and asked to execute a system. Some have more arm strength, mobility, weapons, etc. He said Purdy executes at a high level, the system he is asked to execute. He went on to say he throws a good medium to deep ball and has enough mobility to make plays.

The Steve Young podcasts and Chase Daniel YouTube break downs are the best. I've posted some Chase Daniel here. But the Steve Young podcasts every week are great. He talks a lot about Purdy and what he does super well. It's processing, timing, anticipation and throwing with accuracy mostly.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

Help Support Us

Become a patron