Ankeny
SIGNED LETTER OF INTENT
PosStarsHtWtRRVideoHometown
Chris Alexander
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
C7-1235- Chicago, IL Started (1 game and left)
Tim Barnes
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
PG6-1163- Henderson, KY Flunked out
Jerome Harper
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
SG6-4180- Columbia, SC Never qualified
Jackson Vroman
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
PF6-10230- Bountiful, UT Very good two years.

Adam Haluska
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
SF
Went black and never went back

Almost as sweet as this class.

Last edited:

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
I can't believe people don't remember Frederico "Big Cat" Samuel and Curtis "the Road Grader" James.:wink: I guess the only reason I remember them is because they had cool nicknames. The recruiting services did not do a real good job evaluating the JC kids back then. (not that they do much better now) A lot of lightly recruited Juco's would somehow receive 4-5 stars while guys like Tim Dobbins and Lamrcus Hicks would not even be evaluated until after they signed and then they were given the mandatory 2 star rating.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Q

No but we did have 6 4* recruits in one season. See if you recognize the names:

Austin FlynnQB
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-3 190 4.6- Deer Park, TX
Stevie HicksRB
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-2 215 4.5- Omaha, NE
Curtis JamesOL
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-5 305 5.1- San Diego, CA
Collin MenardOL
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-5 314 5.1- Ft. Dodge, IA
Federico SamuelDT
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-4 315 5- Santa Monica, CA
Max StewardLB
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-3 215 4.6- Fresno, CA

Only 2 of those guys are really known names and one other (Menard) also gave some quality minutes. WTF happened to the other guys? 3 examples of why recruit rankings don't mean jack.

Yep and then there are some 2 stars who contributed big
Seth ZehrOL
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-62485- Fort Dodge, IA
Nick LeadersDT
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-22604.9- Omaha, NE
Ryan KockLB
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-12204.75- Lake City, IA
Jon DavisWR
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-31904.4- Papillion, NE

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
ISU will have a 5 star recruit in about 2022. Didn't Ryan Kock and Katie Robinette get married and have a boy??? Can't imagine how athletic that kid is going to be. I bet he plays middle linebacker or something.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
ISU will have a 5 star recruit in about 2022. Didn't Ryan Kock and Katie Robinette get married and have a boy??? Can't imagine how athletic that kid is going to be. I bet he plays middle linebacker or something.

Yes they did have a kid - IIRC, Ryan took a redshirt that allowed Katie to finish out her eligibility.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Stars are all hype. How many stars would have Jeff Hornacek had back in the day? They're nice to get, but not that important.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Has there ever been a 5* recruit from the state of Iowa?
Everyone remembers the collosal bust that Blake Larsen was. He may have even been considered the top OL recruit in the nation his senior year.
Aaron Kampman probably would have been a 5* in '99. Can't find those ranking anywhere, but he was a Parade All AMerican. He's had a nice little career in the Pros for himself.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Everyone remembers the collosal bust that Blake Larsen was. He may have even been considered the top OL recruit in the nation his senior year.
Aaron Kampman probably would have been a 5* in '99. Can't find those ranking anywhere, but he was a Parade All AMerican. He's had a nice little career in the Pros for himself.

I agree, pretty sure he would have been a 5 star. He was the #1 recruit in the midwest and possible the biggest Iowa had gotten at that time-correct me if I am wrong, that was a few years ago.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I agree, pretty sure he would have been a 5 star. He was the #1 recruit in the midwest and possible the biggest Iowa had gotten at that time-correct me if I am wrong, that was a few years ago.
I would think if anyone would remember it would be you since you graduated with him. He is in town this week helping his inlaws move out of my inlaw's basement so If I happen to be heading through town, I will ask what he was ranked. He will probably blush.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron