5 star

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
I would think if anyone would remember it would be you since you graduated with him. He is in town this week helping his inlaws move out of my inlaw's basement so If I happen to be heading through town, I will ask what he was ranked. He will probably blush.

I am sure he would, if you see him tell him hi, havn't spoken to him for a long time.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Well done Luke! This kid was out of Florida and McCarney had him locked up. Then for some reason he opted for Minnesota, of all places.
Anyone remember Brandon Owens? He was committed to ISU, but ended up signing with Minnesota. He was a 5 star safety on scout.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
No but we did have 6 4* recruits in one season. See if you recognize the names:

Austin FlynnQB
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-3 190 4.6- Deer Park, TX
Stevie HicksRB
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-2 215 4.5- Omaha, NE
Curtis JamesOL
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-5 305 5.1- San Diego, CA
Collin MenardOL
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-5 314 5.1- Ft. Dodge, IA
Federico SamuelDT
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-4 315 5- Santa Monica, CA
Max StewardLB
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
6-3 215 4.6- Fresno, CA

Only 2 of those guys are really known names and one other (Menard) also gave some quality minutes. WTF happened to the other guys? 3 examples of why recruit rankings don't mean jack.

Disagree. The recruiting rankings/stars only don't mean jack if you don't get a number of 4 or 5 star players each year and you are a fan of a below average team that consistently has to point out all the exceptions. I'm confident the message board geeks from Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Florida, USC, et al can put together a very long list of 4 and 5 star players that have done very well. I'll take the teams of the top 20 recruiting classes every year compared to our 2 and 3 star recruits that yearly ranked 11th or 12th in our conference. There is reason why we consistently do not compete for a conference title.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
I would think if anyone would remember it would be you since you graduated with him. He is in town this week helping his inlaws move out of my inlaw's basement so If I happen to be heading through town, I will ask what he was ranked. He will probably blush.

Just to show, I am sure he was the top Iowa recruit ever with these honors:
High School Honors - - USA Today Elite 25 player . . . CNN/SI all-American Dream Team . . . Super Prep national top 50 . . . ranked as No. 5 linebacker on PrepStar dream team . . . Tom Lemming all-America team . . . Gatorade Central Region Player-of-the Year . . . USA Today second team all-American . . . Parade Magazine all-American . . . all-Midlands Defensive Player of the Year . . . ranked as top linebacker in Midwest by PrepStar . . .

I forgot he was so highly ranked.

XD40

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2008
Urbandale
I would have to agree with (acody) Yes the stars do mean something, however you will always find that diamond in the ruff with a 2 star. For every four 5* recruits, you may have one 2* that plays like a 5* when his college career is all said and done

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
That play ended his career I believe. (could be wrong) What a terrible freak accident. I feel for the kid, hopefully he has recovered.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Disagree. The recruiting rankings/stars only don't mean jack if you don't get a number of 4 or 5 star players each year and you are a fan of a below average team that consistently has to point out all the exceptions. I'm confident the message board geeks from Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Florida, USC, et al can put together a very long list of 4 and 5 star players that have done very well. I'll take the teams of the top 20 recruiting classes every year compared to our 2 and 3 star recruits that yearly ranked 11th or 12th in our conference. There is reason why we consistently do not compete for a conference title.

The recruiting rankings don't mean jack when 50% of a group of 4* players never steps foot on the playing field. I won't argue that more often than not the rankings are close and never said I was happy with 2 and 3 star players. I simply said they were 3 examples to support that argument. We finished 8th, 9th,9th in recruiting rankings in the Big 12 from 2002-2004, some of the best classes we have ever had, yet we have a combined 16 wins over the past 4 seasons (seasons in which those recruits should be contributing). We had a good class in 2000 rankings wise and we had some very good years after that. Point is, for every recruiting ranking that is right, there is one that is wrong. As for being a fan of a below average team and the pointing out exceptions crap...you will very rarely hear me make excuses for us losing. Losing makes me just as mad as any of the "winning team" fans.

goclonz80

Sep 12, 2008
Omaha
That play ended his career I believe. (could be wrong) What a terrible freak accident. I feel for the kid, hopefully he has recovered.
It sounds like at the time of this article he was getting his life back on track... I thought he was paralyzed but it sounds like he only lost the use of one of his arms, and by no means am I downsizing how bad that would suck. For some reason I thought it ended up worse. Heres the article from 2007
Fateful collision, and a life revision

MonsterBack

Sep 7, 2008
Parts Unknown
I can only remember one 5 star recruit for ISU in either FB or Hoops.
Usually just getting an offer from ISU is enough for the idiots at the recruiting services to knock off at least one star.

Ivan ChiriaevSF
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
7-1235- Oakville, Ont.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I can only remember one 5 star recruit for ISU in either FB or Hoops.
Usually just getting an offer from ISU is enough for the idiots at the recruiting services to knock off at least one star.

Ivan ChiriaevSF
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
stargold.gif
7-1235- Oakville, Ont.
I remember this guY!!! Didnt he like go to the draft and didnt even get drafted?? He was like the best player in the country and he commited to us! HAHA

Help Support Us

Become a patron