7,000 year old stone road discovered underwater in Adriatic Sea

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
"The team says the road once connected Korčula Island to an artificially made island settlement called Soline, which is now nearly 16 feet below the water’s level. Researchers believe this was all an active site roughly 7,000 years ago.

Using radiocarbon dating, the team tested wood preserved in the road, and were able to date the thoroughfare and connected settlement to 4,900 BC. Researchers describe the structure of the road as “carefully stacked stone plates” that run about 13 feet in width."

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Netflix show Ancient Apocalypse dug into this a smidge some months back. The subject matter is fascinating going way back in history. Civilizations oceans apart have similar stories of a man coming to them off of the ocean and teaching them agriculture and other technologies of the time. It’s spooky. I hope they do a follow up season.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Netflix show Ancient Apocalypse dug into this a smidge some months back. The subject matter is fascinating going way back in history. Civilizations oceans apart have similar stories of a man coming to them off of the ocean and teaching them agriculture and other technologies of the time. It’s spooky. I hope they do a follow up season.
I've only watched the first couple episodes, but I need to get back into it. My initial take was interesting but speculative. However, in my few decades of fascination with the topic, myths have been confirmed and our understanding has evolved pretty dramatically.

I do believe that thinking of our history as well established, and as a linear timeline, is pretty naive. There's a whole lot that we simply don't know yet.

• Agree
Reactions: bos and CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I've only watched the first couple episodes, but I need to get back into it. My initial take was interesting but speculative. However, in my few decades of fascination with the topic, myths have been confirmed and our understanding has evolved pretty dramatically.

I do believe that thinking of our history as well established, and as a linear timeline, is pretty naive. There's a whole lot that we simply don't know yet.
Graham makes a lot of leaps, but I think he’s on the right track. I don’t think it’s far-fetched to suggest civilization may have been more advanced during the last ice age than we give our ancestors credit for.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
yes good series, very thought provoking. It is interesting how civilizations oceans apart could have similar technologies in their architectural builds and their seemingly similar understandings of the cosmos.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
yes good series, very thought provoking. It is interesting how civilizations oceans apart could have similar technologies in their architectural builds and their seemingly similar understandings of the cosmos.
I think we've been advanced for a long time. Maybe even far longer than we ever expected. Not star wars level but certainly written language and tool development.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Maybe someone who's more in the know about this stuff can explain, but what do they mean by "artificial island"?

To me it sounds like they're suggesting it's a human-made island... how was that possible at the time?

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
In case anyone is interested in viewing the two sunken habitations on Korcula Island, Coatia in Google Earth, here are the coordinates:
Sunken road to Soline habitation: 42.945496 N, 17.157148 E
Identical Gradina Bay sunken habitation: 42.972224 N, 16.675210 E

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Still human minds thinking and observing and imagining in the same milieu - gravity same, water same, needs same. In a lot of ways we aren't that different that humans from 5 or 10 thousand years ago. Gotta eat, stay warm, access to water, etc.

Sort of like why all that cave art has giant wieners and boobs. Pron is pron.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Their mastery of cutting and shaping granite and other hard stones makes my mind implode. Modern day stone masons are dumbfounded by it.
I'm amazed by the stone cutting at Machu Picchu. My buddy went there with his wife (who is from Peru) and he posted all kinds of pictures. Unreal craftsmanship.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe someone who's more in the know about this stuff can explain, but what do they mean by "artificial island"?

To me it sounds like they're suggesting it's a human-made island... how was that possible at the time?
I love how one of the very first respondent to the article makes the incredible leap that the fact that the artificial island is now under 16 feet of water proves that global warming has been going on for the last 7000 years long before industrialization. Yeah, a manmade island made with neolithic technology has no chance of undergoing major erosion and sinking over the course of 7 millenia...

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I love how one of the very first respondent to the article makes the incredible leap that the fact that the artificial island is now under 16 feet of water proves that global warming has been going on for the last 7000 years long before industrialization. Yeah, a manmade island made with neolithic technology has no chance of undergoing major erosion and sinking over the course of 7 millenia...
Lol what an absurd take