All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
With the offense you guys run Purdy is definitely the best option...Don't think RPO would be something Nate could excel at...
That's exactly why I think Purdy is just what Campbell looks for in a QB. Little unrefined right now, but the toolkit is there. I think that style of offense is ideally what Campbell sees his teams employing, but we just didn't quite have the players for it until recently.

On a similar note, I'm repeatedly shocked that ToE doesn't constantly recruit and play dual-threats. You guys generally have good OL and good RB, meaning you're a relatively-mobile QB short of a devastating RPO attack.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
That's exactly why I think Purdy is just what Campbell looks for in a QB. Little unrefined right now, but the toolkit is there. I think that style of offense is ideally what Campbell sees his teams employing, but we just didn't quite have the players for it until recently.

On a similar note, I'm repeatedly shocked that ToE doesn't constantly recruit and play dual-threats. You guys generally have good OL and good RB, meaning you're a relatively-mobile QB short of a devastating RPO attack.

Iowa recruits dual-threat QBs, they just don’t get any of them.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Why is Iowa so bad at recruiting good QBs, WRs and RBs? Truly mind boggling

I don't think Iowa's style of offense is conducive to bringing in dynamic QBs or game breaking WRs. They've had good RBs before because their line play was good and they run the ball a lot. Their QBs are usually game managers because that's what Kirk wants his QB to do more often than not.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't think Iowa's style of offense is conducive to bringing in dynamic QBs or game breaking WRs. They've had good RBs before because their line play was good and they run the ball a lot. Their QBs are usually game managers because that's what Kirk wants his QB to do more often than not.

The last time Iowa had a RB they would consider good was Shonn Greene. That's a long tim ago. Obviously no WR is going to want to play for Brian but you do think they could recruit a good QB that would like to light up a weak Big Ten West

• Funny
Reactions: Rural

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The last time Iowa had a RB they would consider good was Shonn Greene. That's a long tim ago. Obviously no WR is going to want to play for Brian but you do think they could recruit a good QB that would like to light up a weak Big Ten West

Pro Style offense is not considered sexy and a lot of high profile teams with good QBs are running high tempo spread offenses, like Purdy. Those guys look at the Iowa offense and probably get bored.

Who was the last really good WR Iowa had? DJK? That did not work out well.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

They've had RBs drafted and play in the NFL, so I'd say those guys are pretty good.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Pro Style offense is not considered sexy and a lot of high profile teams with good QBs are running high tempo spread offenses, like Purdy. Those guys look at the Iowa offense and probably get bored.

Who was the last really good WR Iowa had? DJK? That did not work out well.

McNutt or DJK probably

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I guess as far as the Stanley/Purdy discussion goes, it depends what you want out of your QB. I'm not sure which one is the better pocket passer, that very well may be Stanley. Purdy does well in a dual-threat role, he's very mobile, and weirdly seems to have a decent arm while on the run (which is hard to come by for a young guy). We've definitely achieved more with a mobile QB simply because our OL generally sucks.

Exactly, do you want a good QB or a bad one?

At ISU Stanley would be glad Zeb left so now he's only two injuries from playing.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Iowa State in a defense optional league, and now offense optional, it doesn’t take much to have a decent O in the Big XII. Maybe you will get as good of an O as us soon.

All these roundabout arguments are pretty stupid when year after year, there all these data points in non-con games and opponents conference games and bowl games that have all definitively said the same thing: year after year the Big12 has been consistently and significantly better than the Big 10 West. The bad offense or good defense debate is pointless. We don't need it. We have lots of data based on on the field performance. Stop making arguments with rankings talking about the conference as a whole. The Big 10 East is good, almost exclusively carried by teams Iowa doesn't play this year. The Big 10 West is, like it has been for nearly it's entire existence, is bad yet again. And don't take my word for it, read a Wisconsin article or fansite, or HN when talking about the season, and it is commonly discussed that the division is very weak.

And I don't really care to talk about NFL players, because, again, there are way more important data points - on the field performance. Some conferences play offense that has not really translated in the NFL. As a result, defenses follow suit to stop that conferences offenses. We all know Mark Vlasic was a far superior QB to Brad Banks and Chuck Long, correct? Or that Matt Cassell was way better than Tommie Frazier or Tim Tebow, right? Based on NFL draft boards it looks like there are more guys ISU will face on D in Big12 play than Iowa will in Big 10 play, but who knows how that will play out.

There are tons of data points that consistently tell us based on on-the field results that the Big 12 has been far better than the Big10 West, and it continues to be. Sometimes Iowa has a good schedule, sometimes it doesn't depending on how the East matchups go. Helps that ISU has been a boost for SOS the last couple years too, or if the MAC or other non-con team happens to be solid that year, like NIU is this year.