Ames Lager Update

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Haven’t tried Peace Tree. Thanks for the suggestion. Mixing Iowa State 1858 Vodka, while watching the Baylor vs Auburn game tonight.
For me (very subjective obviously): Ames Lager > I Will Hazy IPA > Peace Tree Legend > Clone Fest
I have a bottle of the 1858 Vodka but haven't cracked it yet. More of a gin guy.

• Winner
Reactions: hurdleisu24

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
It's been available at the Johnston Hy-vee the last couple times I went in there. Not a lot of it, but at least 9-10 six packs.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Just a reminder to keep hammering those places that dont carry it! Make them be a pest to their distributors, otherwise they will try to keep filling that shelf space with Busch light, Coors light, Mich Ultra, etc....I did that with a place in my small town, they had SWARM on the shelf, after a month they said their distributor finally had allocation. I would bet the SWARM beer is seeing the same issues, my local beer stop said they have sold one 12 pack in the last 30 days.
Does this really work in practice? In the early stages of Ames Lager, I visited a few places asking about it, and was basically told that West O stopped sending them beer and too bad so sad basically. Was told by one place to contact West O directly. Didn't seem like there was much urgency on their part to do much of anything.

• Informative
Reactions: jdolson

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Personally, I didn't really care for it so I haven't bought more. Also seems the "new" factor has worn off a bit which I'm sure has impacted sales.

This is my thing with it too, of all the Cyclone branded beers out there it's bottom of the list for me for taste for what I like to drink. My wife likes it so we still buy it from time to time but the 2 beers Backpocket put out with the Hazy and Clone Fest are far better tasting beers. It has nothing to do with where the money is going to for which ones I prefer to buy, all 4 beers are going to causes that help things ISU related whether that is NIL, ISU Athletics, or the Jack Trice Legacy Foundation.

@brentblum any chance you will work with West O or another brewery to come out with another type of beer that benefits the collective? Doing something like an IPA, Wheat, or even a seasonal brew could increase some sales with more variety to choose from.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This is my thing with it too, of all the Cyclone branded beers out there it's bottom of the list for me for taste for what I like to drink. My wife likes it so we still buy it from time to time but the 2 beers Backpocket put out with the Hazy and Clone Fest are far better tasting beers. It has nothing to do with where the money is going to for which ones I prefer to buy, all 4 beers are going to causes that help things ISU related whether that is NIL, ISU Athletics, or the Jack Trice Legacy Foundation.

@brentblum any chance you will work with West O or another brewery to come out with another type of beer that benefits the collective? Doing something like an IPA, Wheat, or even a seasonal brew could increase some sales with more variety to choose from.
If one of them would put out a session IPA it would sell a lot more IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

hiltonisheaven

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I’ve had the 1858 vodka, Clonefest (Backpocket), Trice Legend Red (PeaceTree) and all are good and would buy more if could find. Have never found Hazy or AmesLager on the shelf. Workers DGAF when asked to stock them.

jdolson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 4, 2006
God's Country
Does this really work in practice? In the early stages of Ames Lager, I visited a few places asking about it, and was basically told that West O stopped sending them beer and too bad so sad basically. Was told by one place to contact West O directly. Didn't seem like there was much urgency on their part to do much of anything.
I think it does to an extent. Going directly to West O helps also, they need all the "ammo" they can get to get a distributor to take their beer on. I was told by someone that works with a distributor in Iowa that some of them are not taking anymore brands on, unless they drop another. When InBev or Molson Coors, etc.. is more than likely responsible for 80% of your sales, you have a built in bias to keep those brands on the self and stocked....I would think now that West O has their system with increased capacity in place, the excuse for "cant get the beer" should be going away.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I think it does to an extent. Going directly to West O helps also, they need all the "ammo" they can get to get a distributor to take their beer on. I was told by someone that works with a distributor in Iowa that some of them are not taking anymore brands on, unless they drop another. When InBev or Molson Coors, etc.. is more than likely responsible for 80% of your sales, you have a built in bias to keep those brands on the self and stocked....I would think now that West O has their system with increased capacity in place, the excuse for "cant get the beer" should be going away.
My father in law was the CFO for a small brewery in Texas. And I can confirm, getting distributors to not only take on your beer, but then advocate for it at supermarkets, bars, restaurants, etc is the single biggest challenge to growth.

• Agree
Reactions: jdolson

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Update on availability of Ames Lager in Ames (as of late afternoon):

Cyclone Liquors - six-packs in the cooler.

East HyVee - none that I could find. The clerk didn't even know what it was.

Downtown Fareway - a few sixers (tucked in with CloneFest sixers) on an end-rack near the fruits & vegetables

West HyVee - with the Iowa beers in the side coolers (none in the walk-in cooler). The clerk asked me about it as he hadn't tried it.

Somerset Fareway - sorry, I didn't go there.
I’ve only seen Ames Lager in Hyvee once in September. All the fareway locations in town usually have some.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
pick some up at east ames HyVee, there was 1 six pack left. They were hidden in the beer fridge on the top shelf. You cannot see them unless to go into the beer fridge, look above the Swarm.

Reactions: Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
pick some up at east ames HyVee, there was 1 six pack left. They were hidden in the beer fridge on the top shelf. You cannot see them unless to go into the beer fridge, look above the Swarm.

I saw the Swarm in the beer fridge and thought I looked on the top shelf last night. You win!

Frog

May 6, 2021
Bought 11 more six packs (plus 2 loose cans) in quad cites on my way home from Mississippi River Distillery to get some bottles of Cody for our annual Harvest party tomorrow night. I wrapped that up Tuesday. Five cents off a gallon fuel savers to for each that I wasn't expecting as well. My kid can use the fuel savings in Ames. I Will roll this out later in the party before the game as will have a couple big screens set up in the shop. I wish I could get a keg. I plan to find a few more six packs. Cant wait!!

Last edited: