Any advice for visiting K-State fan

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
We like to stay at the Gateway hotel and then just walk to the game. It's pricey but convenient.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Check out the are Reimans Gardens as mentioned earlier- I believe they have model trains set up. And this is not your usual setup - kids would love it and adults impressed.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Dude. I just told a Kstate fan to park in Coralville Mall parking lots. Think it through. I was joking around with him.

Yeah, it totes went over my head. Well played.

tenor.gif

Commence with the thread.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We like to stay at the Gateway hotel and then just walk to the game. It's pricey but convenient.

You can probably park there even if you don’t stay there.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I also would like to extend a welcome and apologies for what will be said on Saturday. We want nothing than to drive a stake through that vampire to revenge years of heartache and especially after last year. Campbell won't do it but the fans would love to see this as 100-0 ISU.

That said - MAD props to what that old coot has done consistently for far too many years! That's a program we'd like to emulate in lots of ways.

Have fun and enjoy the Ames hospitality!

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I wasn't giving him real advice. Anybody would understand that they don't park near Iowa City to go to a game in Ames. I didn't ever dream someone would not understand that it was a joke based upon the absurd nature of the "advice".
There are quite a number of folks in the media that think we are the Iowa State Hokeyes....those folks need to take a long walk.o_O

I enjoyed your humor.

Reactions: jmb

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
When I bought tickets I was really hoping KSU was going to be a lot better than what they are this year, but putting that aside I am trying to visit each stadium in the conference and I have tried to make it to Ames for the last 3 games and I finally get a chance too. Looking for advice and recommendations for a family with elementary age children on places to eat and must see things around Ames.
Also looking for advice and parking for the game?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to visiting this weekend for Farmageddon.

Stop by the Memorial Union (they have a parking garage and it doesn't cost much) on Lincoln way to check out the ISU Bookstore. then make your way out for a quick walk around central campus and Lake LaVerne... if you're not sure where to go just ask anyone around you to point you in the direction of the Campanile as well as the Zodiac. Some of the most iconic images of ISU are in that area. From there you can drive to a tailgate (parking is typically $20 cash), I echo the S16th St/VetMed parking options.

In-game: With the kidos, time your concession trips wisely, ISU has terribly run concessions and if you go at half you will not make it back to your seat until 5 min into the third. ISU also has a clear bag policy but if you do not have one they do have lines to check bags but they may take longer to get through. You can also bring an unopened or empty water bottle into the stadium and they have water refill stations which can save some coin!

If you really want to be a local, see how many Busch Lights you can sneak by security in your winter coat. Hopefully we avoid rain Saturday and enjoy your time in Ames... but not too much. I hope its the last game of the year for your Wildcats.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
-Lots of built up anger from our fan base.....i just saw the redshirt seniors have lost four straight by a total of 13 pts total.....and last year was a true tipping point of anger given the ending (our last trip to Manhattan was our "blessing in disguise" Coach Rhoads ending

-Enjoy Ames....watch for deer on the ride home through Iowa and Missouri if you drive at night

-Our hope is one day it'll be Matt Campbell Family Field at Jack Trice Stadium, lol

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
Stop by the Memorial Union (they have a parking garage and it doesn't cost much) on Lincoln way. ... You can also bring an unopened or empty water bottle into the stadium and they have water refill stations which can save some coin!
... I hope its the last game of the year for your Wildcats.

Some good advice. Although I think the water fountains had been drained already before the Baylor game to keep the pipes from freezing. Could still fill up water at the bathroom sinks if you were ok with that. If there is some other water refill station that hasn't had the pipes drained, someone can correct me.

• Useful
Reactions: wclarson