Anybody been to Cabo?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
hit up Trip Advisor - both the reviews and the forums. You will get an overload of information.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Went there clear back in 2000. We stayed in San Jose del Cabo at El Presidente - an all inclusive resort. Loved having OB's at the swim up bar.

We took cabs to Cabo San Lucas. Avoid shopping on any day that a cruise ship is in port. Even the honest vendors will tell you that they will not give you near the deal on those days as any other. Really enjoyed The Giggling Marlin and Cabo Wabo, but the best was the arena like dance bar Squid Roe. That place was off the hook. I wish I remembered the name of the liquor store/bar that we went to in the middle of the day. The bar wasn't open and we were looking for some good tequila to take home. They let us sample until they had sufficiently lubricated our wallets. We brought home some awesome tequila.

If you get a chance play at the Jack Nicklaus designed Cabo del Sol, do it. Just make sure you don't go after any balls that end up in the desert. We saw our first rattler (dead, fortunately) before we even made it to the first tee. They say the last few holes are the most beautiful finish in golf and I can't say as I have any reason to disagree.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
I agree that Squid Roe and Cabo Wabo are two place you should visit for nightlife. I look at Cabo as more of a guy's trip vacation. Good golf and good fishing. We saw flying fish, hammerhead sharks, pilot whales and seals while fishing and caught plenty of marlin and two mako sharks. The water is colder on the Pacific side of Mexico. I don't belive Cabo has been influenced as much by increased drug trade violence but I'd think the Cancun area would be better for a honeymoon.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
There was an older resort named the Twin Dolphin between Los Cabos and Cabo San Lucas. I think it may have been torn down and rebuilt, but named something else now.

I would recommend looking into that because it's located on a really amazing bay and is sheltered from the big waves, etc. That bay is where most of the snorkeling boats take guests from other resorts. It's an amazing location and if/when I go back to Cabo that's where I'll stay, bar none.

As others indicated, avoid the town when a cruise is there, otherwise there are some good restaurants and vendors in town. Great fishing too, depending on the time of year.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Personally, I'd skip Cabo and recommend Barbados. Barbados is extremely reasonable, easy to get to, absolutely gorgeous, and incredibly safe. The restaurants are phenomenal. Check out the Hilton property there.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's pricey, but if you can swing it I highly recommend Edith's Restaurant. Open air dining with a great view of the arch and Medano Beach. The food was fantastic.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Got engaged in Cabo two years ago. Perfect weather all year round.

Cabo has two towns, San Lucas and San Jose. San Lucas is the "downtown" area and where the cool rock formations are. We stayed at the Riu which is close to downtown, yet far enough away so the beach was not crowded.

Reactions: VeloClone

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
My wife and I went on our honeymoon to Cabo in 2007. It was by far the best experience we had in Mexico/Baja of Mexico, considering we have been to these two areas a combined 4 times. Cabo is extremely safe as it is roughly 80% Americans that live down there, from what the Mexicans down there told us. I would highly recommend the RIU Palace that is down there.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Thanks for the insights! One of the places we looked at was the Riu. We obviously would like to do an all-inclusive if possible.

We've already been to the Carribbean side of Mexico, hence looking at the Pacific coast.

Cabo Wabo is on my list. We'll be down there around Sammy's birthday, maybe we'll be able to see him.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Cabo Wabo is on my list. We'll be down there around Sammy's birthday, maybe we'll be able to see him.

I'd advise you to pass on the Cabo Wabo tequila, however. It is hugely overpriced and you can find some much better tequilas of every stripe if you go for more authentic Mexican tequilas.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Joe Mauer has

[video=youtube;GCAJw8vbJWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAJw8vbJWc[/video]

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
we used to have a house there and went all the time. Its pretty much just Southern California now, but still nice.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'd advise you to pass on the Cabo Wabo tequila, however. It is hugely overpriced and you can find some much better tequilas of every stripe if you go for more authentic Mexican tequilas.

I'll second this. I was down there for a wedding with a big group, got to Wabo and bought 15 shots for group I was with. And, $180 later...

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Great place to relax. Find a place within walking distance of the Marina, we stayed at Finis Terra. You'll have everything you need within walking distance of the Marina (unless you are a golfer, then you'll have to head out of town). Fishing is great.

clone0

Apr 10, 2006
Ola. We were in Cabo San Lucas last month. Cabo is one of the safer places in Mexico. Watched the ISU ND game from Cabo Cantina in the downtown/marina area....walked around the area both day and night. The RIU was our preference, but it was full when we booked. Ended up at Pueblo Bonita Sunset Beach which is on the Pacific side next to the homes of Oprah, Bill Gates, George Cloney, and others. The resort was nice but it was built on the side of the hill/mountain so a lot of walking up and down. Due to the rip tides & strong undercurrents, there is no swimming on the Pacific side. The downtown/marina area is on the Sea of Cortez side. The beaches & water activities are in this area. Take a glass bottom boat ride to lovers beach. We used Cabo-Adventures.com for scuba diving. They have different tour options and are located at the marina. Where you stay should be able to help with arranging airport shuttle before you go.
Best advice....when you get off the plane go outside of the airport for transportation. Everyone inside the airport will offer you transportation, but they are just time share sales people. Do not stop, walk past them and go outside. The shuttle drivers will be waiting for you there.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

That goes without saying. If I'm buying tequila in Mexico, it's going to be something I can't buy in the States.