Anyone see this? S&C Coach...

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
This is a great hire. There will be bashers because of lack of name, but as I posted in my original thread on strength coach this guy is a great hire. I am very pleased.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Welcome aboard.

Interesting reading the quotes after the linked article. Same gripes we have versus the top of our conference and other BCS conferences. Not one negative from the people who posted.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Nice story. Sure he has ties to the state but it isnt the reason he was hired.

Owl51

Jan 27, 2009
Rice Owl player parent here. Congrats on the hire of Yancy McKnight. You guys have no idea what a diamond you have found for a S&C coach. The team (Rice) is absolutely sick about losing him, though to a man couldn't be happier for the opportunities for him. Just a couple of tidbits to give you an idea of how they felt about him:

Rice won their first bowl game in like 50 years this year. The first bucket of Gatorade was dumped on Yancy. (Don't confuse this as a slight to the head coach, David Bailiff... they think the world of him also and the only consolation about Yancy leaving is that Coach Bailiff hasn't been swept up by the BCS (yet).

At the football Banquet last year, as the seniors would say their "goodbyes" and "thank you's"... Yancy was mentioned by all. One of my favorite quotes : "My dad taught me to be a man, Yancy McKnight made me prove it".

Here is a photo that pretty much says it all about his attitude towards success. This was during a "walk off" pick 6 at the end of our Memphis game. I'm sure you can figure out which one is Yancy. http://www.ricefootball.net/08memo38pick7.jpg

Best of luck to you all and Yancy... and keep your hands off of C.O. (Clayton Oyster).

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Rice Owl player parent here. Congrats on the hire of Yancy McKnight. You guys have no idea what a diamond you have found for a S&C coach. The team (Rice) is absolutely sick about losing him, though to a man couldn't be happier for the opportunities for him. Just a couple of tidbits to give you an idea of how they felt about him:

Rice won their first bowl game in like 50 years this year. The first bucket of Gatorade was dumped on Yancy. (Don't confuse this as a slight to the head coach, David Bailiff... they think the world of him also and the only consolation about Yancy leaving is that Coach Bailiff hasn't been swept up by the BCS (yet).

At the football Banquet last year, as the seniors would say their "goodbyes" and "thank you's"... Yancy was mentioned by all. One of my favorite quotes : "My dad taught me to be a man, Yancy McKnight made me prove it".

Here is a photo that pretty much says it all about his attitude towards success. This was during a "walk off" pick 6 at the end of our Memphis game. I'm sure you can figure out which one is Yancy. http://www.ricefootball.net/08memo38pick7.jpg

Best of luck to you all and Yancy... and keep your hands off of C.O. (Clayton Oyster).

Thank you!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
That is an awesome pic of coach McKnight. Thanks for posting Owl51!
I love to see that kind of emotional reaction out of coaches.
I hope the Cyclone players can form a similar bond with coach McKnight in the next few years.
It is easy to see why so many players connect so much with the S&C coach considering that the players spend more time with the strangth coaches than anyone.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Rice Owl player parent here. Congrats on the hire of Yancy McKnight. You guys have no idea what a diamond you have found for a S&C coach.

Huh? This directly contradicts a poster on this board who formerly had good news and knows of the guy's wife's family and isn't glowing, or something.

All kidding aside (that probably makes absolutely no sense to you - but then again it didn't make any sense to us either), thanks for sharing your thoughts on Coach McKnight and good luck to Rice this year!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I also REALLY appreciate your cordial attitude. It would be easy to get upset with ISU for taking your guy. Best of luck to your player and the Rice Owls. I have always respected their program and its high standards. I am very glad they have had success and I hope more is to come.
Maybe ISU should schedule and home and home deal with Rice a few years down the road. It would be great to have ISU go down to the Texas recruiting area and play a quality team like Rice. (Especially if we don't lose!)

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I have always respected their program and its high standards. I am very glad they have had success and I hope more is to come.

I wish Rice was in the Big 12. We need a top academic school like that, along the lines of a Vandy, Northwestern, or Stanford, in our conference.

Owl51

Jan 27, 2009
"I also REALLY appreciate your cordial attitude. It would be easy to get upset with ISU for taking your guy. Best of luck to your player and the Rice Owls. I have always respected their program and its high standards. I am very glad they have had success and I hope more is to come.
Maybe ISU should schedule and home and home deal with Rice a few years down the road. It would be great to have ISU go down to the Texas recruiting area and play a quality team like Rice. (Especially if we don't lose!) "

I believe Rice fans would enjoy a home and home with ISU... as they would see it as a game against a BCS school in which we could compete. We used to keep score vs. the "Longhorns" of the world by how many players we lost to injury. Of course that was before Yancy arrived on the scene. Texas is surely hot-bed for recruiting... although I can't say that I've ever seen much of a presence of ISU here. That said, the only kid I know of from Texas that went to ISU is from our own local high school (Austin Flynn).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Austin Flynn is famous at ISU for being one of the best team players we've ever had (IMHO). Went from starting QB to the go to possesion reciever during some of ISU's best years. I've always respected him for that. Many guys would have transfered at the drop of a hat in that situation.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
"Factor in the glowing reputation Rhoads has developed in coaching circles (McKnight likened Rhoads to Bailiff) and the fact that the new staff will get plenty of time to build a winning program, and McKnight knew what was best."

Got to love this quote..Way to go PBR

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron