Anyone using Google Fi for their cell service?

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
I am in a battle with Verizon over them stiffing me out of a $2800 credit when I got new phones so I'm ready to say f' it and move on. Looking at Google Fi and it looks promising so I thought I would see what experience other people have had.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
I am in a battle with Verizon over them stiffing me out of a $2800 credit when I got new phones so I'm ready to say f' it and move on. Looking at Google Fi and it looks promising so I thought I would see what experience other people have had.

I used to have Fi, currently on Verizon. I didn't have any coverage issues with Fi. My phone itself, though had an intermittent reboot issue that royally pissed me off. I couldn't pin down the behavior with any repeatability, though, so I didn't push for a warranty replacement. My wife had the same model phone and had no issues.

I liked the idea of pay-as-you-go data since I'm almost always on wifi and the per-line service charge was good. I spend most of my time around Ames, with trips to central MN and NW IA. I don't recall any big coverage issues, but I could simply be forgetting after nearly 3 years away from Fi.

Once my Fi phone was paid off I didn't like the options that Fi had so we went to Verizon so I could get a reasonable-quality phone that wasn't gigantic (Fi seemed to require either a massive Pixel or some cheap crap if I wanted something smaller).

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I had it for about a year recently. It works great, but I switched back to Visible to save a few bucks. Never had an issue with Fi though. Live in the Des Moines metro.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Probably a good cell plan with good coverage, but customer service was abyssal in my one experience described below. I put a lot of stock in how a company treats it's customers, so I am done with Google Fi.

I signed on for an account with them and bought two new phones. When the package arrived from FedEx, only one phone came. Google promised to 'investigate' and after multiple calls to customer service they 'escalated' my complaint. In the meantime they refused to send out another phone. So, I was paying for service on two phones while only in possession of one phone. After several weeks, they found that the other phone had been activated somewhere else and they suspected it was stolen in the FedEx chain of custody. I still hadn't gotten a second phone or refund. I sent the first back and cancelled service. I got refunded for one phone and I had to file a charge back to my credit card to get squared up on the other phone.

A simple solution of sending out a second phone from the onset would have kept me as a customer, but instead it was as though they suspected me of stealing from myself

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Sounds like a trip to small claims court could be in your future

• Winner
Reactions: Pat

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I've used Fi for the last several years. I would recommend it if you are on wifi most of the time. I believe they have a pretty decent deal for unlimited data now too.

Reactions: Ozclone

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Wife and I have been on Fi for several years and I wouldn't even consider using anything else at this point.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
We've been on Fi for years with no issues. Pixel phones are great! They usually have really good deals a couple of times a year for free upgrades.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Probably a good cell plan with good coverage, but customer service was abyssal in my one experience described below. I put a lot of stock in how a company treats it's customers, so I am done with Google Fi.

I signed on for an account with them and bought two new phones. When the package arrived from FedEx, only one phone came. Google promised to 'investigate' and after multiple calls to customer service they 'escalated' my complaint. In the meantime they refused to send out another phone. So, I was paying for service on two phones while only in possession of one phone. After several weeks, they found that the other phone had been activated somewhere else and they suspected it was stolen in the FedEx chain of custody. I still hadn't gotten a second phone or refund. I sent the first back and cancelled service. I got refunded for one phone and I had to file a charge back to my credit card to get squared up on the other phone.

A simple solution of sending out a second phone from the onset would have kept me as a customer, but instead it was as though they suspected me of stealing from myself

You can suspend service on any account through the Google Fi app which would have stopped you from having to pay for the second line until the phone situation had been resolved. We have lines for our kids that we only keep active at certain times of the year then suspend the accounts until we need them again. The flexibility is amazing!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am a Google apologist...love my Pixel 7...Fi user for a few years now. But in my market (eastern Iowa) the only cell company Fi uses is T-Mobile (they recently dropped using US Cellular) so their isn't much advantage to using Fi. I have my son's phone on a $300 a year Mint Mobile unlimited plan that uses T-Mobile towers as well. So I am paying $50 a month versus $25 a month that I pay for my son...with no difference in local service. I have zero issues with Fi...but feel like I am talking myself into Mint Mobile in the near future.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I am a Google apologist...love my Pixel 7...Fi user for a few years now. But in my market (eastern Iowa) the only cell company Fi uses is T-Mobile (they recently dropped using US Cellular) so their isn't much advantage to using Fi. I have my son's phone on a $300 a year Mint Mobile unlimited plan that uses T-Mobile towers as well. So I am paying $50 a month versus $25 a month that I pay for my son...with no difference in local service. I have zero issues with Fi...but feel like I am talking myself into Mint Mobile in the near future.

Mint would be our alternative if we wanted unlimited data but we're always on Wifi so the flexible Fi plan ends up being cheaper than Mint.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Have Fi now. Used to be great. But once they dropped providers to only use T-Mobile, it's been terrible. The cell signal is fine, but the data rates you get are abysmal. I'll have full 5G bars and not be able to load a website.

Other issue is with Samsung phones there's something wrong with the dialer. If you call someone somethmes it'll keep ringing on your end even after the person answers. It seems to be a known bug with Samsung and Fi and no solution in sight.

But it is cheap and with 5 lines on our plan it has so far been worth dealing with poor connections. We use wifi most of the time anyways.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I had Fi for years but switched to Verizon. It's great because it's cheap and if you're on WiFi all the time, it's a great deal.

I switched because it's super unreliable for data.

Once you get out of the city (and often while you're using data in the city) you can expect super laggy behavior. Maps won't load. Poor call quality. Messages not sending until you get back on WiFi. Etc.

CycloneJL

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Falls
I was going to until I read a few horror stories over billing. Because it's difficult to get a human being at Google, they would lock your account and therefore hold your phone number hostage without any resolution. I ended up with a prepaid Verizon plan that costs the same or less anyway

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I've had it for a number of years. It kind of stinks that it used to have 3 provider options but now basically it's down to only T-Mobiles towers. Otherwise maybe a bit cheaper than the name brands but a few less perks.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I've had it for a number of years. It kind of stinks that it used to have 3 provider options but now basically it's down to only T-Mobiles towers. Otherwise maybe a bit cheaper than the name brands but a few less perks.

Too be fair, the T-Mobile and Sprint merger combined both networks so you're still getting towers from both just under one umbrella.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'd be interested to hear more about the original issue with Verizon. I had an issue with AT&T like this many years ago. It took me getting the Attorney General's office to contact them for me to get it resolved. Mine was because I went through Best Buy and something was messed up between them and AT&T. I've been on Verizon since that was resolved.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Too be fair, the T-Mobile and Sprint merger combined both networks so you're still getting towers from both just under one umbrella.
sort of, they've left some bands out of their newer phones and I always get pushed to the t-mobile towers and never on the old sprint towers i used to use.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I was going to until I read a few horror stories over billing. Because it's difficult to get a human being at Google, they would lock your account and therefore hold your phone number hostage without any resolution. I ended up with a prepaid Verizon plan that costs the same or less anyway

How well does the Verizon prepaid service work? We're in the same situation where we're looking to move from Fi, but the full blown Verizon plans start to get pricey for a large family.