Anyone using Google Fi for their cell service?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
How well does the Verizon prepaid service work? We're in the same situation where we're looking to move from Fi, but the full blown Verizon plans start to get pricey for a large family.
We've had 2 phones on the 15GB prepaid plan for years, $35 a line. No issues with phone calls anywhere from here to the northwoods in Minnesota/Wisconsin. Data is fine, you're at the same priority as all but the most expensive unlimited plan on postpaid. You can pay for that priority unlimited plan on prepaid if you want.

When we get a new phone we just have to move the SIM card from old to new and away you go. I have no idea the last time I was in a Verizon store.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
I'd be interested to hear more about the original issue with Verizon. I had an issue with AT&T like this many years ago. It took me getting the Attorney General's office to contact them for me to get it resolved. Mine was because I went through Best Buy and something was messed up between them and AT&T. I've been on Verizon since that was resolved.
I bought 4 phones on the Google store and it said I would be getting a $700 credit, over 36 months, with trade-in on Verizon, made sure it was still showing me as eligible at the confirm order page. When I went to trade the old phones in, it offered me $55 per phone. Spent a ton of time on the phone where they kept telling me that because I didn't buy them on a payment plan that I wasn't eligible. Went back to Google and they directed me to the terms and conditions they had gotten from Verizon which had no mention of the payment plan requirement. Several hours with customer service later they escalated me up the chain where I got someone who got it straightened out...for one month and then it went right back to no discount. Now I just get some worthless service agent who claims that there is no payment plan, says they'll look into it and get back with me in a week. Never hear from them.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I am in a battle with Verizon over them stiffing me out of a $2800 credit when I got new phones so I'm ready to say f' it and move on. Looking at Google Fi and it looks promising so I thought I would see what experience other people have had.
Yes and it is ******* awesome. I get 5G basically everywhere. Even out in BFE. Unfortunate about your phone pricing issues. I got $100 off my pixel 6a for switching my number.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I bought 4 phones on the Google store and it said I would be getting a $700 credit, over 36 months, with trade-in on Verizon, made sure it was still showing me as eligible at the confirm order page. When I went to trade the old phones in, it offered me $55 per phone. Spent a ton of time on the phone where they kept telling me that because I didn't buy them on a payment plan that I wasn't eligible. Went back to Google and they directed me to the terms and conditions they had gotten from Verizon which had no mention of the payment plan requirement. Several hours with customer service later they escalated me up the chain where I got someone who got it straightened out...for one month and then it went right back to no discount. Now I just get some worthless service agent who claims that there is no payment plan, says they'll look into it and get back with me in a week. Never hear from them.

That's the new scam that everyone's running now. There's no contract, but we're going to tie you into a payment plan on the phone for 3 years. You wanna leave, well that'll cost you $900 you have left on that phone. Even though the advertisment reels you in with get a new iphone free.

We've come so far in our credit based economy that there's now a penalty to pay cash for things now.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Been on Fi for many years now. It has been great for my use case (low data usage). However, the recent drop of US Cellular partnership to use their towers leads to a lot of dead areas in rural Iowa (northeast in particular).

If a majority of your time is in cities or near state highways, you'll love it. Pick up a Pixel and enjoy the ride. If you live in po'dUnk or spend a lot of time there, you will likely get frustrated with the service.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I've been on Fi since Dec 2019. I haven't had any issues at all. My bill seems to have gone up some but it's still less than half of what I was paying Sprint.

CycloneJL

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Falls
How well does the Verizon prepaid service work? We're in the same situation where we're looking to move from Fi, but the full blown Verizon plans start to get pricey for a large family.
It works exact he same as standard Verizon. I have no complaints. However I should clarify that I buy unlocked Pixel phones. If you rely on the carrier providing phones, I don't have any experience.

Help Support Us

Become a patron