Asking again: Has the rot started to set in?

Has the rot started to creep in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
KU hired Leipold from Buffalo. KSU hired Klieman from NDSU. Both of those hires are looking better to me right now than Campbell. I think we could have had a shot at either one of those guys.

The current head coach at NDSU is Matt Entz. He makes $396k per year. You don't think he would take Pollard's phone call for a potential 1000% pay raise because it is a tough job?

We hired Chizik away from the DC position at Texas shortly after he was named national coordinator of the year and UT had won a national title. And I would say we are a better job today then we were back then.

I don't even think that Campbell was a bad hire or 'worse' than those other hires. Those hires are just in different phases.

The longer I watch programs over time, the more I just recognize that for the vast majority of coaches, even at places with far more resources than ISU you have some pretty recognizable trends. You have an upward phase where they're selling hope, they hope to have success and that success builds on itself, and then eventually that plateaus, and then eventually there's a downward phase for 90% of coaches that few recover from. Then you roll the dice again on someone else. Maybe that roll works out, if not you roll the dice again in 4-5 years. You hope to have better odds on those dice with a 'good' hire, but there are plenty of examples of 'great hires' not working out and conversely of lesser hyped names overperforming.

I've wondered if part of the problem for ISU is that it has waited too long to re-roll in the past, making us bottom out at some dreadful levels, rather than recognizing the trendline and making a move, making it that much harder for our following hires.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
is there an online record of the call in show?
Chizik was a horrible DC at Texas. Vince Young bailed them out time and time again. He coached DC in the SEC, where at the time they had great athletes but very archaic schemes. When he got to Texas, he had no idea how to stop the spread offense emerging in the Big 12 and Texas was getting lit.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don't even think that Campbell was a bad hire or 'worse' than those other hires. Those hires are just in different phases.

The longer I watch programs over time, the more I just recognize that for the vast majority of coaches, even at places with far more resources than ISU you have some pretty recognizable trends. You have an upward phase where they're selling hope, they hope to have success and that success builds on itself, and then eventually that plateaus, and then eventually there's a downward phase for 90% of coaches that few recover from. Then you roll the dice again on someone else. Maybe that roll works out, if not you roll the dice again in 4-5 years. You hope to have better odds on those dice with a 'good' hire, but there are plenty of examples of 'great hires' not working out and conversely of lesser hyped names overperforming.

I've wondered if part of the problem for ISU is that it has waited too long to re-roll in the past, making us bottom out at some dreadful levels, rather than recognizing the trendline and making a move, making it that much harder for our following hires.
I think it was a good hire overall but his time here has run its course.

• Dumb
Reactions: State2015

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Once we lose by 20 to an FCS team and get murdered by 30+ in multiple conference games I will personally invite you over to my house so you can scream “I told you so” in my face. Until then you can’t argue the situations are even close
The fact that we’re losing to Mac schools means we’re getting closer.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
The fact that we’re losing to Mac schools means we’re getting closer.
Not gonna disagree with that. But to me ‘closer’ doesn’t mean it’s CPR level bad and we need to blow it all up and start at square one again

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Have yet to see someone provide a realistic option we could have that’d be better than CMC. Who are we getting when there’s every B10/SEC school that can outpay us, plus the fans chased off the only coach over .500 in our modern history. If you think there’s in-demand coaches lining up to take this job you need a reality check.

The “but we can pay $4mil” thing is dumb. There are schools that can pay $8M and the rest of the P4 can pay $3-5M and have much better historical success than ISU.

Get a grip folks
I don’t work for free. But if you will front $75k to start the research process I will begin immediately. Although I will retain ownership of all information generated from until offered the same contract our current AD has as he is actually paid to do this as it is part of the job.

Note- Our AD has gotten to hire 3 football coaches and 4 BB coaches. Only once has one of our coaches done so well as to be nabbed up for performance (Hoiberg). That is a very large number of hires in the big revenue sports while only replacing 1 due to great performance (Creighton and Auburn did us huge favors on coaches who were actually on the hot seat here).

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
I don’t work for free. But if you will front $75k to start the research process I will begin immediately. Although I will retain ownership of all information generated from until offered the same contract our current AD has as he is actually paid to do this as it is part of the job.

Note- Our AD has gotten to hire 3 football coaches and 4 BB coaches. Only once has one of our coaches done so well as to be nabbed up for performance (Hoiberg). That is a very large number of hires in the big revenue sports while only replacing 1 due to great performance (Creighton and Auburn did us huge favors on coaches who were actually on the hot seat here).
We want JP gone now too??? We’re officially off the deep end

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
the Texas game was the first game they tried the new defense. It worked. We had turnovers by Park and one of our D-linemen got a stupid celebration penalty that helped Texas score. We pretty much stopped them that night.

I stand corrected; I checked that game and they went to it I think in the 3rd/4th quarter.

The D-lineman penalty is kind of what I refer to in the lack of discipline column. It wasn't anything malicious or anything, but it was illegal and hurt the team.

Jacob Park should be on the Mt. Rushmore of big talent/not right in the head of ISU athletes.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
In Campbell's postgame comments, he said "it ran through us in the last 48 hours," which would go back to sometime Thursday. But then when Randy Peterson asked if they got it in Ohio, and Campbell said "when we landed," which would have been Friday afternoon. So the timeline seems a little fuzzy, but it does seem to suggest that whatever it was came from Ames or the plane rather than Ohio.

That said, maybe it wasn't food poisoning at all but norovirus, which was (anecdotally) going around weeks ago. And that stuff is crazy contagious, so if it is norovirus there might be a lot more guys getting sick in the next day or two.

I was totally speculating earlier but @brentblum confirmed on the podcast tonight that it was in fact norovirus and not food poisoning. If guys are puking on the plane, it would be surprising if only 5 guys end up with it.

That said, it typically moves through pretty fast and would seem unlikely to have much of an impact for the Oklahoma State game, other than a day or two of missed practice.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Interesting thoughts here. Seems pretty true. Heck we're probably seeing it with Clemson and maybe even Bama. Easier for Saban at Bama to potentially turn things around. Definitely feels like Dabo won't be getting back to the top but will also be interesting to follow. I mean even Iowa is at the plateau stage and potentially the downward trend with that offense but their division has just been horrible and maybe masked it a bit.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Answering again, posts like this are the rot. Do you honestly think that this garbage doesn’t get back to the entire coaching staff? Shut the **** up or coach yourself!!!! Can a moderator please remove this guy and others from the forum?

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Answering again, posts like this are the rot. Do you honestly think that this garbage doesn’t get back to the entire coaching staff? Shut the **** up or coach yourself!!!! Can a moderator please remove this guy and others from the forum?
I hope the team isn't reading or caring about any Gunner posts

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Rhoads got extra years because he beat Iowa and had other unexpected upsets more than we had typically done. Campbell may very well get extra years because the highest points of his tenure are the highest the program ever had.

But both were ultimately defined by the talent they had playing for them. Even Chizzy has a natty. Because he’s a great coach? No. He had one of the greatest CFB players of the last 20 years.

So as the season goes on we should judge this team and ultimately CMC based on what we think the talent level is and what they will become.

Anyone who has managed people or have had a manager knows, you are only as good as the people working for you.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Alarson doesn’t like my response, he should submit his coaching resume to Pollard immediately.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
I hope the team isn't reading or caring about any Gunner posts
If they are negative, I hope so as well. Negativity is a cancer and I am seeing a lot of it. Maybe I’m a bad person because I’m optimistic but there is no reason to whine so much over a loss regarding the best coach we have had in over 40 years. Sounds like a Hawk fan.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Alarson doesn’t like my response, he should submit his coaching resume to Pollard immediately.
@alarson has every right to question this program. It hasn’t been great last season or this one. Is the doom and gloom crowd always right, of course not. Not talking for him, but there is a bunch of good fans that just want something to change. Ya know, “in the margins”