Athlon - Big 12 Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2022

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Interesting comment on the hiccup in culture last year.
That's always a fear when you have success; that you'll start enjoying the smell of your own farts. No idea if it actually happened or to what degree, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
That's always a fear when you have success; that you'll start enjoying the smell of your own farts. No idea if it actually happened or to what degree, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.
I don't know if it was so much that, or more that the expectations had gotten so high and the team didn't react well when they weren't able to reach them.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't know about the culture, but to my amateur eye, our DBs weren't good last season. Add Rose's injury, and our coverage was more vulnerable than in years past. Eisworth was better at STAR and struggled in coverage, I. Young was similar, and we got to McDonald too late. King wasn't Big 12 talent, and he was hurt. And then we cycled through D. Young/Tampa/Purchase, and didn't find much until late in the season. The staff has to be quicker to find our best lineups. Hopefully this year, we're more settled with Johnson/Freyler/Verdon at safety and a Purchase/Tampa/Kyle rotation at corner. The ceiling is much higher than it has been with those guys in the rotation.

Overall, I thought those coaches' comments were spot on.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if CW gives them any of these quotes from coaches. Or gets to help them pick which ones to print about ISU.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I wonder if CW gives them any of these quotes from coaches. Or gets to help them pick which ones to print about ISU.
I'm pretty sure Steven Godfrey (SBNation, Split Zone Duo Podcast) puts these together every year for Athlon.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The ISU pinnacle of that is when ABC had Seneca in a greek toga before the game where that season crashed down on us.

I don't even blame the players, it's something that happens and is forced on them. Really it's more impressive if they avoid it somehow and understandable when they don't.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The ISU pinnacle of that is when ABC had Seneca in a greek toga before the game where that season crashed down on us.

I don't even blame the players, it's something that happens and is forced on them. Really it's more impressive if they avoid it somehow and understandable when they don't.
Exactly. Who knows if something similar happened last year, but they certainly wouldn't have been the first team with high expectations to buy too much into their own hype.

To be clear, that's not a condemnation of anyone on the team or the staff or anything like that. Lots of incredibly talented people have fallen victim to that kind of thing. There's no shame if it happened. What's important is how they try to avoid it going forward.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and HFCS

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
West Virginia (and probably some others) coaches said before our game last year they had us circled on their schedule. They made it a focus all off-season to dissect what our coaching staff was doing so well so they could prepare to exploit it.

That’s the definition of being hunted.

Couple that with trying to be the same offense for the third year in a row personnel wise and it’s no secret why teams caught on to us.

This year will be a transition period so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that those comments were fair. I don't know about culture, but they had some bad bounces go against them last year and they weren't as good on the back end. Teams took advantage of them being poor in coverage. You think about who we had there last year...AJ was good in coverage and eventually Purchase and Freyler were. But Eisworth, Young, King, McDonald were all better in run support. This year, if the CBs are half as good as the coaches are saying, they will have shored that up. I actually think that the DBs will be the strength of the defense. Should prevent us from being carved up by mediocre QBs with the short pass. It would help if Reeder can move like Rose did.

The one thing I'll really agree with is having an identity and recruiting toward it. They are really good at that. IMO if you don't have an offensive and defensive identity, you have no chance of being successful.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
West Virginia (and probably some others) coaches said before our game last year they had us circled on their schedule. They made it a focus all off-season to dissect what our coaching staff was doing so well so they could prepare to exploit it.

That’s the definition of being hunted.

Couple that with trying to be the same offense for the third year in a row personnel wise and it’s no secret why teams caught on to us.

This year will be a transition period so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
WV knew exactly what Heacock was going to do. They knew that he'd use the first half to feel them out and they scored at will. Then they knew what adjustments he'd make and they made their own adjustments at half. We got outcoached that game big time.