Best Campustown Bars by Decade

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Mostly all got touched on but 2009-2011

Wednesdays - Cy’s for their beer pong tournmaents

Thursday - Mickeys/Mug Night

Friday - FAC @ Paddy’s

Throw in other random bars after depending on the night of Headliners and Outlaws and a few others I can’t remember. The basement of I think turned into Element would have mixed drink pitchers for an absurd low amount and that was always a fun hole in the wall type place.

Reactions: Cytown12

grimace

Feb 14, 2014
Man I thought dollar drinks at Mickeys was something... where was Tazzles at?
basement of 124 Welch, and subway was at 122 welch..... subway made a killing with everyone leaving tazzles grabbing a sandwich to soak up all the beer from the tazzles beer smorgasboard

Reactions: State2015

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The basement of I think turned into Element would have mixed drink pitchers for an absurd low amount and that was always a fun hole in the wall type place.
Element was the top level of the corner of Stanton and Chamberlain (looks like its AJs now?) and had the fishbowl rail drink pitchers. Chasers was the basement

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
80-84

Said it better than me:

NWICY

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/in-memoriam-ames-business-restaurants.237059/page-10

"Bars that are long gone Thumbs Up, The Billboard, The Hallway, top of the town, Granddaddy's, That Place (peanut shells all over the floor) Virginia City, Mississippi Queen/ the Brewery(?). Didn't include Cave Inn and the Library because they still exist but have new names Sips(?) and can't remember but somebody mentioned it earlier up thread right below pizza pit."

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Element was the top level of the corner of Stanton and Chamberlain (looks like its AJs now?) and had the fishbowl rail drink pitchers. Chasers was the basement
Sounds right. I couldn’t remember exactly which one was Chaser’s, Capones, Sargent Peppers.

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
My go-to was always Wednesday nights was Mickey's - $1 Captain Morgan.

Other nights was pretty much wherever

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Dean's List had Silver Coin Night on Friday's from like 98-01 and we'd walk from our Stanton apartment to the Kum & Go and get a roll of nickels and drink for the rest of the night.

Who else remembers Honky Dory's out on HWY 30 around those same years. That could also be a fun time.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
1990's Tazzles, all you can drink for $4 thursdays..... arrive at 8, leave at close...
Lost and Found had a great deal too. $2 pitchers maybe? I just remember having a table completely covered with full pitchers right before whatever time it ended.

Peoples in the 90s was pretty awesome too. Gear Daddies were basically regulars.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Dean's List had Silver Coin Night on Friday's from like 98-01 and we'd walk from our Stanton apartment to the Kum & Go and get a roll of nickels and drink for the rest of the night.

Who else remembers Honky Dory's out on HWY 30 around those same years. That could also be a fun time.
In that time frame...
Monday - Welch Ave (free pool/foosball)
Tuesday - I can't remember, hopefully I stayed home
Wednesday - Cy's Roost (buck burgers)
Thursday - Tazzles (all you can drink for cover charge)
Friday - People's after class, the pool hall downtown for penny pitchers for a few hours, Dean's List for nickel and dime drinks to close. Hunky Dory's sometimes replaced the pool hall
Saturday - drinker's choice
Sunday - sleep

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
2007-2011
Paddy's was by far my most frequent.
Had a buddy that worked at Element so we would go there for cheap drinks to get the night started.
Es Tas on Tuesdays
West Towne for something different
Outlaws at the end of mug night to see if any ladies wanted to "ride the bull".

(They never did)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I didn't dream of trying a fake ID in college since I looked 12 years old...but I did go out a lot Jr/Sr year late 90s.

I avoided People's because I had this idea that it was all frat guys and some kind of clique, no clue where I got that idea. I started going there all the time my last semester and it was by far the best.

I lived near Boheme and that was cool too because it had international student vibe, a foreign student I dated seemed to like it better than Welch, and they would let people under 21 in if we had younger friends without fake IDs.