Big 12/PAC 12 strategic alliance...

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
To enter this, we would have to drop our annual Cy-Hawk game. I'm not sure I like that idea at all. It would also erase any chance of rekindling Texas-TAMU, the Border War, etc.
Or would we drop the UNI, NDSU, And South Dakota States?

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Same question as a few of you - Why is the AZ/AZ St "acquisition" by the B12 a no-go? That appeared to be easily cast aside but is much more interesting than this conglomeration for noncon.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Same question as a few of you - Why is the AZ/AZ St "acquisition" by the B12 a no-go? That appeared to be easily cast aside but is much more interesting than this conglomeration for noncon.

Selfishly, i really want that to happen.

Add ASU, UofA, Utah, & Colorado. Call it a day.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Seems to me anything we do to "commit", meaning every Big 12 school MUST schedule Pac12 schools, is just shooting ourselves in the foot. SEC and ACC schools get several easy games a year. B1G west division gets several easy games a year. Meanwhile, we are going to play 12 Power 5 games every year in football? Say goodbye to ever playing in the National Championship playoffs. Practically every year it will be Clemson, two SEC schools and whoever wins the B1G east division

• Winner
Reactions: tolfbfan

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Do we really want to hitch our wagon to that horse?
8f352334b5c9d83897d959bfdc4bb7dd.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Nope. We do not want any part of the PAC12 nonconference refereeing inequities. Let's do the with the BigTen before the PAC12.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Last time "strategic alliance" was tossed around those dirty pricks tried to poach Texas and Oklahoma.

**** the PAC 8-10-12. Let them form an alliance with Hawaii and show their games to no one at 11 pm
This post is 1 million percent correct. Damn to Bebbe for trusting the snake Larry Scott. No reason to help out the Pac-12. They are in trouble and don't want to bail them out.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah Ive been saying something like this, but the only way I see this happening is a merger, where 8 or so teams from each conference merge and are a division of the conference with a couple cross division games each year. Still allowing for a few non con games each year. No one would ever give up non con games, at least not in the current NCAA atmosphere.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah Ive been saying something like this, but the only way I see this happening is a merger, where 8 or so teams from each conference merge and are a division of the conference with a couple cross division games each year. Still allowing for a few non con games each year. No one would ever give up non con games, at least not in the current NCAA atmosphere.

So what happens to the remaining 6 teams? Can't see this working with the aspect of fairly large schools getting left out.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I actually love the idea from the aspect of getting to play in L.A., Berkeley, Phoenix, Tuscon, Eugene, and Seattle. But I agree with others that this only helps to stabilize that conference.

But oh how I would love those road trips...

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
So what happens to the remaining 6 teams? Can't see this working with the aspect of fairly large schools getting left out.
Well I not going to say I know exactly how it works out, but I did say 8 or so, could be 9 or even 10 from one or the other or each.
The number of schools in each division only really dictates the number of games available after round robin for cross division and non-con games.
Basically I could easily see if a merger happening here are a few teams from each conference that might look or be invited elsewhere:

Big 12

Iowa State - I could see an invite to the B1G, while not probable, this could be a possibility if they see the conferences starting to firm up and need to grab a team that fits their By-laws before its too late. Iowa State has OK athletics and is a great academic school with AAU membership which is a B1G requirement. Some people think the ACC will look at Iowa State too if something happens this is a long shot, and I think Iowa State will stay in the Big 12, but could go as a package with one of the below.
Kansas - could end up to the B1G, decent at least in BBall, Are AAU members.
WVU - would probably end up in the ACC, maybe the SEC if this happens.
Baylor - I could easily see them being left out because of all their problems.
TCU - Maybe be left out just because of being the last to the party, and being the small private school.

Pac 12

This is a bit tougher to see which ones could be left out beyond a couple:
Colorado - Again an AAU school with decent athletics and a new market for the B1G, could be a package deal with another school like ISU or KS, other schools in the Pac 12 are probably too far from the B1G footprint requirement.
Utah - last to the party, may be left out.
WSU, AZ, ASU, OSU - these would be the hardest ones but 1 or 2 of these could be left out depending on how everything else plays out, simply because what they bring to the table. These all are fairly low on the money list for endowment and overall performance.

Again, I have no Idea how it might work out in the end but some form of merger may happen, or not, or the Big 12 could add a couple from the Pac, or not. Who knows, At this point the Big 12 is way more stable things may just stay the same for the next round, but speculating is what we do right.

My honest opinion, if something like this happens:
Leaving or left out of the Big 12:
WVU and/or Baylor and/or TCU = 7-8 left (all 3 if dropping to 16 teams)
Leaving or left out of the Pac 12:
Utah and/or Colorado, = 10 or 11 left. (both plus one of the others if dropping to 16 teams)
Leaving a total of 18 (or 16) teams, 2 divisions of 9 teams (or 2 of 8).
8 game round robin(or 7), 1 or 2 Xdivisional games.
2-3 non-con Games.