Big 12/PAC 12 strategic alliance...

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
tenor.gif

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
If you are talking an alliance and ignoring any strategic future expansion plans, it works a lot better if it involved the Big 12, B1G & PAC. It could be for all 12 games or just 11. If the Big 12 was able to get something like this arranged I wouldn't be surprised if networks would be ok with just 8 conference games.

This would allow OU & UT to add 1.5-2 attractive home games each year to their schedule which is what they want.

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I love the fact that someone is thinking outside the box. While i love our conference at 10 teams for both football and basketball i think there is potential to these ideas. Too many keep trying to cram new ideas into schedules and norms that we have become accustomed to. The system is broke, most of us agree, so why do we insist on keeping it intact? If no-one gets cupcakes, its fair. Pad our schedules with good opponents, win some and lose some and I think you get more respect than a win vs. a nobody.

Those claiming the pac 12 is broke need to be realistic. UCLA basketball is huge. USC football too. there is a lot of tradition and winning in the pac 12, just because it isn't happening now doesn't mean it doesn't hold value. I like the idea a lot. I don't think its far from working out really well for both.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I love the fact that someone is thinking outside the box. While i love our conference at 10 teams for both football and basketball i think there is potential to these ideas. Too many keep trying to cram new ideas into schedules and norms that we have become accustomed to. The system is broke, most of us agree, so why do we insist on keeping it intact? If no-one gets cupcakes, its fair. Pad our schedules with good opponents, win some and lose some and I think you get more respect than a win vs. a nobody.

Those claiming the pac 12 is broke need to be realistic. UCLA basketball is huge. USC football too. there is a lot of tradition and winning in the pac 12, just because it isn't happening now doesn't mean it doesn't hold value. I like the idea a lot. I don't think its far from working out really well for both.

But the problem is that the SEC and the ACC have shown that you don't get penalized for playing an 8 team watered down conference slate... Hell the B1G is kicking around going back to an 8 game league schedule. The Pac12 is an absolute train wreck right now and the Big 12 would be foolish to help them out.

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
I see your point. But right now what we do is only a difference of one conference game. What if it was a bigger difference? What if we forced the hands of the voters to recognize that we have a better, more competitive system? Buy low sell high, if the pac 12 is down, now is the time to buy.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fan interest in Pac-12:

DtSyHCIV4AE8cGt.jpg

Let that conference die. They tired to deal a death blow to the Big 12 in 2009.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I see your point. But right now what we do is only a difference of one conference game. What if it was a bigger difference? What if we forced the hands of the voters to recognize that we have a better, more competitive system? Buy low sell high, if the pac 12 is down, now is the time to buy.

But the conversation has nothing to do with buying. I agree, now would be the time for the Big 12 to "buy" Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah but to sign a "merger" would be absolutely stupid. Why help the Pac 12?

The ACC and SEC have already shown that it's silly to induce more risk when the likelihood of reward would decrease. There are zero reasons to go with that Pac 12/Big 12 schedule model.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
But the conversation has nothing to do with buying. I agree, now would be the time for the Big 12 to "buy" Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah but to sign a "merger" would be absolutely stupid. Why help the Pac 12?

The ACC and SEC have already shown that it's silly to induce more risk when the likelihood of reward would decrease. There are zero reasons to go with that Pac 12/Big 12 schedule model.

100% agree.

I like the idea of a scheduling alliance especially with the Pac.

But if the Pac is truly in bad shape we need to get those four teams into the big 12.

Help Support Us

Become a patron