By the numbers - not winning in the margins

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Sobering stats. Basically turnovers and special teams are the reasons why we are 2-2 and not 3-1 or 4-0.

Ok but they consistently had a 80-yard field in front of them when they took possession vs. Iowa, while Iowa consistently had a 50-yard in front of them when they took possession. Congrats for having more total yards I guess but if you actually look at what happened it's just because Iowa's D dominated with turnovers and Iowa's ST dominated with field position.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ok but they consistently had a 80-yard field in front of them when they took possession vs. Iowa, while Iowa consistently had a 50-yard in front of them when they took possession. Congrats for having more total yards I guess but if you actually look at what happened it's just because Iowa's D dominated with turnovers and Iowa's ST dominated with field position.

And lucky for Baylor they didn't even have to start at the 50 since they got to return a kickoff.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
So turnovers and special teams just like we thought. Maybe we need a special teams coach and the oc to allow our qb to do what he does best.

Also this is yards per play, not total yards which is a big difference.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Settle down Beavis, the game was a couple weeks ago. You guys won. What are you so upset about?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Isn’t that exactly what I said in my post?? Turnovers and special teams. Jeez.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
You're making his point. Special teams and turnovers are the reasons for that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yep you made the point, but the Fuhrman guy said 'it's hard to lose games with those stats'... no, it's not if you actually look at what happened.

Narrative should be 'It's hard to win games if you wilt when it matters'.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Sobering stats. Basically turnovers and special teams are the reasons why we are 2-2 and not 3-1 or 4-0.

Guy has some other interesting tweets. OSU hasn't scored in the second half in the last two games (Boise and KSU) and won both games and covered.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The truly frustrating part about all of this is the coaching staff has done the hard part at a school like ISU. They've got the talent on O and D to compete at a high level. Yet somehow they are failing at what is comparatively speaking the easy part, just being competent on special teams.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I get tired of hearing the “margins” thing from our coaches. Just do it or shut up. Our mistakes aren’t in the margins. They are huge, inexcusable errors that cost teams games.

The mistakes are 'margins' stuff.

They're just really glaringly poor fundamentals at very important times and are trends over several seasons.

Reactions: khardbored

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Is this the ISR forum? If not, why don't you just STFU and get out of here?