CFN: ISU Preview

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
"...winning away from Jack Trice will be a must if the Cyclones want to go bowling."

Understatement of the year.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Is it a month and three days from today yet??? No? D'oh! :arghh:

Good ol' Fiutak, always takes a pretty fair look at ISU. I think he was more upset than I was about Iowa being ranked and ISU not after the 23-3 woodshed beating a couple years ago.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
CFN is about the only pre-season write up i put any stock into...pete f always seems to know his college football!!

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
excellent write up. I think he nails this analysis. There's chance for upsets, must compete with our equals, always has a swinging chance. All statements accurate. This season is one giant question mark in my eyes. I can see us going bowling, yet I wouldn't be surprised if we only won 4-5 games either. This is basically the definition of "re-building." There's light at the end of the tunnel, and we're walking towards the light!

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Pretty good analysis. Even if we win 6 games there's a good chance we won't go bowling, but it would still be a great accomplishment for this team.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
With the 2 million different bowl games slated for this year, if we (or any other team for that matter) gets to 6 wins will be bowling this year.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Im gonna go with 8 wins this year. No one expected Kansas or Missouri to do anything last year and nobody expects us to do anything this year. We are starting to get the talent in and I think next year will be the year we break out. With our schuele 8 games isnt out of reach

blando

Mar 29, 2006
Key game: Sept. 20 at UNLV. Iowa State hasn't won a road game since September 23, 2005 when it beat Army.

What about October 29, 2005, Iowa State 42, Texas A&M 14?

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
This is a good article. CFN is the only publication/website that seems to do a good job of breaking down players, their capabilities, and what they need to do to get the job done for the team. If most teams of our caliber have 5 to 6 to 7 ratings for groups (O-Line, etc), its going to boil down to coaching, this is where I think we finally have an edge and it could show this year.

I can't wait for the season (except first game I am always nervous). Trust me, the Meyer-Blythe combination won't be missed; we have too many fast skill players and this could finally gel into a offensive juggernaut.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I knew that Robinson played well in the Missouri game, but I had no idea he played that well:

"There's a good trio of backs ready to make the ground game more dangerous and more explosive with the 5-9, 178-pound sophomore Alexander Robinson looking to build on a strong late charge rushing for 1489 yards against Missouri and 127 against Colorado."

Who cares who our QB is when we have a RB that can rush for nearly 1500 yards a game- Troy Davis who?:biglaugh::biglaugh: