Cheikna Dembele

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I see we offered this kid for next year. We are his first power five offer, so I don't know how good he is. Glad to see the staff is trying to find a big man, as I think we are in big trouble next year without more talent in the post. He is listed as 6'9" 220 pounds. I think a big man grad transfer would be better, but I suppose it's quite unpredictable to know what you can get. This offer tells me that one or more of the following is true:
1) Ashton on 1 yr scholly
2) mm leaving
3) lard won't show up
4) malou won't show up
5) Ernst and/or carter are leaving
I don't know which of these is likely true, but if this kid committed I think we would be +2 for next year.
i suppose 1 and 2 are the most likely.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
1 and 3

And it's dumb to speculate any of this, just because we offered. Do you think Prohm is just gunna stop recruiting because the scholarship chart says we're full??

P.S. I do appreciate the thread for this kid, because he seems like an intriguing target, but just get rid of the useless speculation part at the end.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
I see we offered this kid for next year. We are his first power five offer, so I don't know how good he is. Glad to see the staff is trying to find a big man, as I think we are in big trouble next year without more talent in the post. He is listed as 6'9" 220 pounds. I think a big man grad transfer would be better, but I suppose it's quite unpredictable to know what you can get. This offer tells me that one or more of the following is true:
2) mm leaving
3) lard won't show up
4) malou won't show up
I don't know which of these is likely true, but if this kid committed I think we would be +2 for next year.

I think 1 and 3 are where the other scholarships are coming from. I haven't read much since, but there has never been a whole lot of confidence that Lard would show up.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I think 1 and 3 are where the other scholarships are coming from. I haven't read much since, but there has never been a whole lot of confidence that Lard would show up.
last I heard lard had not been cleared to play yet this year. Anybody heard different? I believe it was not academic, but rather tampering regarding his transfer.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
last I heard lard had not been cleared to play yet this year. Anybody heard different? I believe it was not academic, but rather tampering regarding his transfer.

You're mixing up your stories. The alleged tampering is keeping him from playing at his current school that he transferred to. His not being cleared to come to ISU is for academic reasons and a completely separate issue.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
2) mm leaving
3) lard won't show up
4) malou won't show up

Cheikna Dembele is an intriguing prospect but everyone needs to temper their expectations and expect any post player to show up and contribute day one. I've seen some posts already ear marking him in for minutes in the rotation next year. It takes time to adjust to the level of play, especially for a player that is a relative unknown late comer. Carter is an example, and I do expect him to improve his play as a Sophmore.

As for the speculation on where the scholarship will come from, we should just hold off and it will be obvious after the season. There will be one open some how some way. I actually am viewing this a Lard insurance type offer, with his eligibility concerns makes sense. One thing is pretty obvious ISU will be adding 1 more post some how next year be it him or the new guy.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Cheikna Dembele is an intriguing prospect but everyone needs to temper their expectations and expect any post player to show up and contribute day one. I've seen some poster already ear marking him in for minutes next year. It takes time to adjust to the level of play, especially for a player that is a relative unknown late comer. As for the speculation on where the scholarship will come from, we should just hold off and it will be obvious after the season. There will be one open some how some way. I actually am viewing this a Lard insurance type offer, with his eligibility concerns makes sense. One thing is pretty obvious ISU will be adding 1 more post some how next year be it him or the new guy.
One thing is for sure. Bill Self does not automatically insert new big men into his lineup.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
2) mm leaving
3) lard won't show up
4) malou won't show up

Well we are at 14 if all aren't true so it should tell you at least 2 are true.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Can Ashton go off of scholarship next year? I thought there was s rule change and once you get put on scholarship you can't be a walk on again.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Can Ashton go off of scholarship next year? I thought there was s rule change and once you get put on scholarship you can't be a walk on again.
Thought you could. Need an expert to make the call.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Yes he can and he will, it was a one year thing since we had a scholarship available

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

You would think the NCAA would be smart enough to put some language on this rule that would allow special circumstances like putting a walk-on onto scholarship, but allowing 1-year terms. Otherwise it will hurt walk-ons going forward, and they aren't really who the rule is intended to help.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012

Went into effect on August 15th. He apparently was put on scholarship before the new rule and new rule only effect kids offered after the rule. Also, I think it only applies to incoming freshman that sign a letter of intent. Not 100 percent sure but considering cambell just gave 2 one semester scholarships there must be some gray areas either for walk ons or/any non freshman that sign FAAs.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Uh.....can we talk about Cheikna and eliminate the last 15 posts that talk about where the scholarship is coming from. Literally every thread on a prospect immediately turns into WHERES THE SCHOLLY coming from. This horse is dead.

I'm excited that we are chasing a high ceiling international player who also happens to play post.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
His school sounds intriguing. Scotland Performance Institute (Scotland, PA).

[h=2]A Post High School Program for the Elite Basketball Player[/h]Through skills training, nutrition and conditioning, a highly competitive game schedule, character development, and an increase in academic proficiency, the mission of HGI Academy is to prepare the post high school student-athlete to excel on and off the court, in the collegiate classroom, and throughout life.