"Civil War" trailer

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Plot spoiler. An intrepid band of mountain bandits in West Virginia bring the country to its knees by cutting off a rail line.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Plot spoiler. An intrepid band of mountain bandits in West Virginia bring the country to its knees by cutting off a rail line.

That's a lame scarecrow even by your standards. Here let me help you rewrite it...

And all the other railroads.

And all the highway bridges and tunnels.

And all the gas pipelines.

And all the water pipelines.

All the product pipelines, too, so no more gasoline or diesel.

Dams/locks on rivers.

Few power plants.

Transmission lines.

Probably take down some crucial industrial facilities while they're at it.

Probably can shut down or at least severely disrupt most airports and seaports with some hit-and-run raids. Couple Stingers take down a couple 777s and nobody will be flying.

I might be missing some things. But it wouldn't be pretty. These are things cities of millions need to exist to maintain anything like a modern economy/even to keep people alive.

Or do you think you could protect all these at all times?

There are tens of thousands of critical points. You can't defend them all at once. All this hubbub reminds me of a line from Lawrence of Arabia about the strategy of the Arab Revolt...

We can cross Arabia while Johnny Turk is still turning around. I'll smash his railways. While he mends, I'll smash them somewhere else. In weeks I can have Arabia in chaos.

That there sounds about right.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
One of my Top 5 all-time fave movies is 1983's "Under Fire" (I have maybe 15 movies in my Top 5 ; - )

I see it is now on Netflix. It's been many years since I've watched the movie, but it came to mind when reading here about "Civil War."

Excellent cast: Gene Hackman, Nick Nolte, Joanna Cassidy, Ed Harris.

1713038099795.png

Reactions: Cyclonepride

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I saw it last weekend.

Grim and intense, but I liked it a lot as well.

I know it's common to say/write now, but I do wish the movie had gone into how and why the nation fractured and war began in the first place.

Reactions: CyCoug

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
I saw it last weekend.

Grim and intense, but I liked it a lot as well.

I know it's common to say/write now, but I do wish the movie had gone into how and why the nation fractured and war began in the first place.
Not every movie should have a sequel, and this one maybe shouldn’t.

But there is an opening for a prequel, showing the phases the country went through leading to the civil war.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

But there is an opening for a prequel, showing the phases the country went through leading to the civil war.

You wrote exactly what I was thinking.

Unfortunately, the director (Alex Garland) has stated his intention to step back from directing and focus more on writing. So, I suppose he could write up a prequel of some kind, but it would likely be up to someone else to direct it.

It is doing well at the box office, especially for an R-rated movie from an independent studio, so maybe a prequel is forthcoming though.

Reactions: CyCoug

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Agreed but that isn't something this director would do I don't think.