COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
And don't forget.... we'd stand to make nearly 20 million from OU and TX when they leave.

And if ISU leaves they too will have to pay an exit fee if the Big 12 still exists. If enough schools leave and vote to disband the conference nobody pays any exit fees. In my view maybe 2-3 schools get a “divorce settlement” and that’s it.

• Useful
Reactions: t-noah

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
And if ISU leaves they too will have to pay an exit fee if the Big 12 still exists. If enough schools leave and vote to disband the conference nobody pays any exit fees. In my view maybe 2-3 schools get a “divorce settlement” and that’s it.

I'm guessing when the dust settles the remaining schools will have a new home in the Big 10 or Pac 12 lined up and then vote to dissolve. TCU and Baylor might not have a home and fight it, but those two wouldn't be enough.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1 and Cyclad

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
That's all I'm hoping for at this point. B1G would be the dream case, but I'd take the PAC 16 as a consolation prize.

I'm not interested in ISU being a part of anything else besides those two options at this point.

A revamped Big 12 does absolutely nothing for me unless you can pluck some teams from from another P4 conference, which isn't going to happen. No other P4 team right now would leave stability to go to instability.
I agree that option one (B1G) and option two (Pac) are no brainers. However, I do think a revamped Big Xii is better than moving to the AAC or the MWC, as a revamped Big Xii may no longer be a P5 Conference, but they would be the head and shoulders best G Conference and rivalries are still intact. Just saying that adding a few teams to the 8 already in place is better than moving to the AAC and MWC.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

That was the real fear in 2010, everyone else would find a home, expect ISU…but with a pile of cash.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think if enough schools vote to disband, then it ceases to exist, therefore not payouts period. Think there would have to be about 4-5 left to stand a chance.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I agree that option one (B1G) and option two (Pac) are no brainers. However, I do think a revamped Big Xii is better than moving to the AAC or the MWC, as a revamped Big Xii may no longer be a P5 Conference, but they would be the head and shoulders best G Conference and rivalries are still intact. Just saying that adding a few teams to the 8 already in place is better than moving to the AAC and MWC.
What constitutes a P5 conference? Whose choice is it to make that distinction? The media? Just curious.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, thats worst case. Unless some of the leftovers get invites and isu does not.

Say mizzou and ku to the b1g, and ou gets to take ok st to the sec. Then we are totally boned.

But if pac and b1g do nothing, then yeah big12 continues. Add the best american teams to get to 10 or 12 or 16 and drive on.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, thats worst case. Unless some of the leftovers get invites and isu does not.

Say mizzou and ku to the b1g, and ou gets to take ok st to the sec. Then we are totally boned.

But if pac and b1g do nothing, then yeah big12 continues. Add the best american teams to get to 10 or 12 or 16 and drive on.
In that scenario, OSU was probably in the PAC, which means we take their spot. So we wouldn’t be as hosed.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
What constitutes a P5 conference? Whose choice is it to make that distinction? The media? Just curious.
I don’t think there is any definite definition. I think it comes down to what a network is willing to pay for the TV rights. If the Big 12 TV negotiation story is true, that ESPN wasn’t interested, then it sounds like the networks decide who is a P5.

Its definitely driven by media though and them forming a perception of the leagues competition value amongst its members. The SEC is a highly top heavy league, but the media would have you believe everyone in the conference is a super power team.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wonder if AM will try to demand UT gets out in the east so they don’t have to deal with them as much. They are hosed by Texas no matter what.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don’t think there is any definite definition. I think it comes down to what a network is willing to pay for the TV rights. If the Big 12 TV negotiation story is true, that ESPN wasn’t interested, then it sounds like the networks decide who is a P5.

Its definitely driven by media though and them forming a perception of the leagues competition value amongst its members. The SEC is a highly top heavy league, but the media would have you believe everyone in the conference is a super power team.
I have a feeling that maybe Texas was already working with ESPN (or vice versa) on a move then. ESPN says pee off to the big xii and gives UT a reason in their mind to jump.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Thinking of the pluses and minuses for ISU and KU to the B1G.

Academics - this is a plus for both

Geography - A little better geographical fit for ISU but not significant. KU would be the Southwestern most outpost of the conference.

Athletic performance - ISU should have an advantage because "football is all that matters" and with Campbell we are the rising star. KU football is pathetic and could hold back the addition.

KU is a blue blood in MBB. And there's some merit there. Not sure how much weight that adds to their desirability. ISU has had their moments in the last 30 years but perception-ally not KU level.

Income producing potential. KU does add most of Kansas and KC to the viewing population of the conference. ISU is perceived to be of lesser value because UofI already has its presence in the state of IA. The cable fade/transition to streaming, definitely affects this factor; if ISU added to the conference the Big Ten network as a streaming platform suddenly becomes must have for the ISU fanbase - where now it's a must to avoid.

Still hoping and praying we make the cut. As we all are...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I have a feeling that maybe Texas was already working with ESPN (or vice versa) on a move then. ESPN says pee off to the big xii and gives UT a reason in their mind to jump.
Exactly. ESPN is working behind the scenes on the UT OU to SEC move. To make it more likely to work they say they don't want to pay for Big XII - which makes UT and OU decide to jump to where the big $$$ is - the SEC.

I think ESPN is maybe the biggest prick in this scene. Followed by the SEC. And UT OU took the easy way out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They won’t. And I don’t get why people keep bringing up this ridiculous scenario. No one is leaving the SEC. It would be suicide.
Maybe, but how about the bamas, OUs, Georgia and Florida’s look at a way to attract the blue bloods (ESPN is helping also) and they accumulate these teams into the SEC for a bit and then break off into their own high level football conference of 12-16 or so. If they pull the top of each conference, they will let the vandys, Mizzous, Mississippi’s all have their SEC money forever how long and then walk away while those teams end up like the rest of the big 12.