[Commitment Watch] '22 4 star DE Mario Eugenio

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Did his teammate Tawfiq ever announce a commitment?

Highly doubt this was all on ME. My guess is he isn't the athlete Michigan wants on the edge. They will be recruiting those NFL edge types and pure DTs in that system and they already have a lot of guys like Eugenio who are kind of tweeners they have to build. To me, ME is a pretty pure 3-4 end.

I'd compare ME to Bailey FWIW. A great player in ISU's system but there's not a place for that player in UMs system. Freaks and mountains is what it seems like they want to recruit.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
come to me austin powers GIF

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Man, what a world to live in - Imagine adding Mario Eugenio to these last 2 classes

In the 2021 class we took
2 DT - Tyler Onyedim, Howard Brown
2 DE - Jayden Gray, Joey Petersen

In the 2022 class we have:
1DT - Hunter Deyo
2DE - Ikenna Ezeogu, R Mason Thomas

I'm in agreement that Mario Eugenio would be a PERFECT fit for the 3-3-5 that we run. He would fit in right away in Eniy's spot or a Jaquan Bailey role.

Last edited:

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Man, what a world to live in - Imagine adding Mario Eugenio to these last 2 classes

1DT - Hunter Deyo

I'm in agreement that Mario Eugenio would be a PERFECT fit for the 3-4 that we run. He would fit in right away in Eniy's spot or a Jaquan Bailey role.
If they don't sign another OL in this class, then I'd guess Deyo ends up there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

1DT - Hunter Deyo

I'm in agreement that Mario Eugenio would be a PERFECT fit for the 3-4 that we run. He would fit in right away in Eniy's spot or a Jaquan Bailey role.
We run a 3-3, but your point stands.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Highly doubt this was all on ME. My guess is he isn't the athlete Michigan wants on the edge. They will be recruiting those NFL edge types and pure DTs in that system and they already have a lot of guys like Eugenio who are kind of tweeners they have to build. To me, ME is a pretty pure 3-4 end.

I'd compare ME to Bailey FWIW. A great player in ISU's system but there's not a place for that player in UMs system. Freaks and mountains is what it seems like they want to recruit.

I call BS. Bailey could have transferred to and played at Michigan if he was so inclined and if a 4-star isn't good enough for Michigan, then they think too much of themselves. I'm positive Michigan was elated to get his commitment, otherwise they would have never accepted it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I call BS. Bailey could have transferred to and played at Michigan if he was so inclined and if a 4-star isn't good enough for Michigan, then they think too much of themselves. I'm positive Michigan was elated to get his commitment, otherwise they would have never accepted it.

It has nothing to do with how good of a player he can be at a lot of places. It's about not fitting at Michigan. He isn't a DT and he isn't a dynamic enough athlete to play their DE/OLB position. Go look at the guys that are playing and consider that a lot of those guys are young and shouldn't fit the system they are playing now. What they are going for now are NFL edge types that are freak athletes and DTs. They will not be recruiting traditional 5-tech DEs unless they are elite athletes. There just isn't a place for that skillset in their system. It's not a slight on Eugenio. It's just what it is.

Michigan will accept commitments and process them out if they feel the need and that's no different than ISU.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron