Crazy story from Kickin it.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
A truly wild story that I had no recollection of.

For those that listened to the full episode- what’d you think of Tim’s comments on Tangs spygate?

1.) I like Tim. His takes on the conference and KSU teams are reasonable and he obviously has a wealth of knowledge.

2.) I’m sure he has some purple colored glasses while looking at the spy-gate situation in Ames and If ‘around here’ means coaches and players - maybe that was the case. But he was missing the piissing match on twitter from KSU fans for weeks.

3.) This sentence specifically really grinds my gears “It was odd to watch Iowa State media and fans perpetuate the story”. This was a major allegation that HE broke the story on- perpetuate isn’t the correct word for confirming the truth or ending speculation.

Paz23

Feb 23, 2016
We did acetylene bombs while building Veishea floats in the early 90's. Most were small bags with about a 1/3 acetylene to 2/3 oxygen mix. Seal it, put it on the end of a 20 foot stick of rebar and swing it into the burn barrel. Made a nice boom and it usually put the barrel out at the end of the night. Experimented with the ratios a bit if I recall, but I think 1/3 - 2/3 ended up being the best recipe.

Then spring break - probably 93 or 94 - we escalated things. 55 gallon bag full of the same mix. welded two pieces of rebar together for added distance because we were all about safety first. Cops figured out where it came from and that was the last one.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I remember when it happened and that it happened on a football Saturday, but not that it was (almost) connected to the game itself. Weird, wild stuff.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Did anyone listen to Kickin it today? At the end the guest tells an insane story about the tweet above. Starts with about 8:30 minutes left. Does anybody remember anything about this or heard about it before?

Doesn't sound crazy these days...

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

For those that listened to the full episode- what’d you think of Tim’s comments on Tangs spygate?

1.) I like Tim. His takes on the conference and KSU teams are reasonable and he obviously has a wealth of knowledge.

2.) I’m sure he has some purple colored glasses while looking at the spy-gate situation in Ames and If ‘around here’ means coaches and players - maybe that was the case. But he was missing the piissing match on twitter from KSU fans for weeks.

3.) This sentence specifically really grinds my gears “It was odd to watch Iowa State media and fans perpetuate the story”. This was a major allegation that HE broke the story on- perpetuate isn’t the correct word for confirming the truth or ending speculation.

Love Mahoney and Woody but it would have been nice to press back on that some regarding the report that Kellis had a couple of days after it.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories...

But I have a hard time NOT believing that the intent was to detonate the bomb inside Memorial Stadium and inflict as much damage as possible. Was it a suicide? absolutely. But it seems super likely that the intent was to take others out with him.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Love Mahoney and Woody but it would have been nice to press back on that some regarding the report that Kellis had a couple of days after it.
I like Tim but that irked me too. Iowa State media didn't perpetuate allegations of US cheating. It was Wichita media followed by national media and we were forced to flip the script. "TJ said he'd look into and I thought we were going to leave it at that." Yeah til you went to the Wichita Eagle and tried to drag our program through the mud. **** these guys

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Did anyone listen to Kickin it today? At the end the guest tells an insane story about the tweet above. Starts with about 8:30 minutes left. Does anybody remember anything about this or heard about it before?

Clean human remains off the KState bus?! My god…

I know it’s kind of in bad taste but I first thought of that scene in Boondock Saints with the cat.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Yeah Tim...that'll happen when you smear someone with accusations of cheating, racism and assault while taking ZERO responsibility for it.

National outlets were running stories about his coach's lies so yes we did have to address it before we could move on...but real closure on this sort of thing comes when someone like Tang is a man and apologizes or admits fault. He never did.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I like Tim but that irked me too. Iowa State media didn't perpetuate allegations of US cheating. It was Wichita media followed by national media and we were forced to flip the script. "TJ said he'd look into and I thought we were going to leave it at that." Yeah til you went to the Wichita Eagle and tried to drag our program through the mud. **** these guys

The skipped the "I'm sorry" or "we were mistaken" part of the process and then act shocked that there's any problem with that.

It's like they've never been part of society.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Seems there is a Darwin Award component to this story.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
We are long past the point of moving on, so I understand the guys not pressing him on it. But that was straight up homer bull **** from Tim Fitzgerald. And I don't doubt one bit that Tang is beloved by many inside the Little Apple, but outside of it people think he's a weirdo, and that's why controversy seems to follow him about so much.

Woody and Grant have great chemistry and it's probably the best ISU related podcast I listen to.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and wxman1

franzrinkleff

Apr 4, 2006
How nobody lost any fingers or a hand...
i remember one of my chemistry professors counting the things we needed to do on his hand. after almost a semester with him i realized he was missing half a finder. i became friends with his daughter and learned he blew it off as an undergrad making explosives.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Hmmm. Interesting parallels:

1. Reporters have largely forgotten or overlooked the bombing incident.
2. This reporter has largely forgotten or overlooked the Tang incident.

What is it with KSU journalists?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had forgotten about this, but when it came up I absolutely remember. I was at ISU at the time and it was in the news for the following week, and then the next game came and went and people quit talking about it.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Works toilet cleaner and tin foil? Or dry ice in water?
IIRC it was cleaner and aluminum foil. It wasn't me doing it, of course, I just remember it was considered an annoyance for a couple weeks. It was in the Daily.