Cyclones AND the NFL 2020: Off-season, draft, contracts, season review

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Montgomery as Bears' "workhorse" this year?

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...xvwfuMNvpJZYFKFfEL9iclfQnM91NqmePGdstULsY2eks

Montgomery enters the season as the primary back and is expected to take the majority of the workload. Cohen will get his fair share of snaps but will be primarily used as a gadget back, just like Nagy wants to deploy him as. With some uncertainty at the third running back position, it makes Montgomery and Cohen's even bigger. The big question now is, can Montgomery be that bell-cow back for the Bears in 2020?

Bears offensive coordinator Bill Lazor is confident Montgomery can take that next step and can't wait to see him on the field.

"I think for a young to come in and play as well as he did is not easy so that's an impressive feat and everything he said now tells you that he's serious about what that jump is going to be from Year 1 to Year 2, which we've all seen young players make," Lazor said. "So I'm excited about it. I'm excited to see how he works on the practice field and his level of detail. That's the thing, oftentimes, for those second-year players, now that they've kind of got their feet on solid ground with some of just the small things of that atmosphere they're in, now they can really turn it to those details. And so I'm excited on the practice field to see how he attacks that."

For Montgomery, he showed some flashes of why the Bears were so high on him and traded up to draft him in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft. The one thing that stood out the most was how he kept his feet moving. Often times it took multiple players to bring him down and finish the tackle. He kept those feet churning and fell forward when finally being brought down. The running back even picked up an off-field honor, being named the rookie recipient of the Brian Piccolo Award, a prestigious honor for the franchise.

That's the good in his game from his rookie season but looking at the tape, there were also times where he struggled. One thing to point out was how he hesitated to find a running lane and get through it. Making defenders miss with sharp cuts was also something that he needed to work on to improve his overall game.

This past offseason, Montgomery has been working on his footwork to get quicker and make sharper cuts. A few different videos of Montgomery with his trainer were posted to social media and he looks to be working hard. However, that has to translate to the field and is vastly different at NFL game speed.

“Just for David, he’s a very highly-motivated individual. He’s a self-starter. He’s probably his own worst critic," coach Charles London said. "I think he learned a lot of lessons his rookie year and I think he feels like he has so much more he can do, so much more that he can be into this offense, and I know he’s ready to do it. He’s out there working hard, he’s working out a few times a day. I just think just his growth from his rookie year to his second year, I think you’ll see him take a tremendous jump there.”

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
They need to find a way to get David and Cohen on the field together move them around, put one or both in motion. They both have really good hands for running backs.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
FanSided piece on the Browns needing to find out what they have in Willie Harvey (since his season was shortened by an injury).

Blurb:
The Cleveland Browns need to find out what they have in Willie Harvey, who was outstanding in limited snaps in 2019 summer camp. He wound up on Injured Reserve early in the regular season before he could accumulate snaps with the defensive unit in a regular season game. Harvey played special teams in two games last year, and in the preseason looked like Lawrence Taylor against third string players.
Link: https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/08/20/cleveland-browns-willie-harvey/

Does anyone know how Willie's camp has gone?

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It sounds like things WERE going well for Josh Knipfel in the Bengals' camp until he got injured. Without any pre-season games this year, it's going to be tough for UDFAs to get opportunities.

Blurb:

Last week, college free agent Josh Knipfel was taking reps behind Trey Hopkins as the second-string center, but Knipfel has been out for a few days with a head injury. This was the reason for the team bringing in Mauigoa.

Link from SB Nation's Cincy Jungle: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/8/...esdays-practice-john-ross-a-j-green-joe-mixon

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Unfortunate news, I would imagine he'll get picked up elsewhere and given another shot.

Jags cut Allen Lazard and look at him now... Hakeem will rebound if he finds the right franchise.

Would gladly take him in KC as a practice squad stash until next year when we likely lose Watkins and Robinson.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Jags cut Allen Lazard and look at him now... Hakeem will rebound if he finds the right franchise.

Would gladly take him in KC as a practice squad stash until next year when we likely lose Watkins and Robinson.

My first thought was Butler should go to the Packers and follow in Lazards footsteps. There is little to no competition in that WR room.
I wouldn't be surprised if HB already has a team lined up to sign him before Labor Day.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My first thought was Butler should go to the Packers and follow in Lazards footsteps. There is little to no competition in that WR room.
I wouldn't be surprised if HB already has a team lined up to sign him before Labor Day.
He is such a great talent. I think him being cut by AZ has more to do with Kingsbury avenging the beat downs his team's suffered at the hands of Butler and the Cyclones than anything.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
WFT, Jaguars, Packers, Eagles, Jets, Giants, Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Colts, Vikings, Texans, Lions, Saints...

There are teams out there that need help in the WR room. He should rebound. He's still an unknown commodity after missing last year. Still has that unknown upside over guys who have seen the field and have more a more known resume.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
He is such a great talent. I think him being cut by AZ has more to do with Kingsbury avenging the beat downs his team's suffered at the hands of Butler and the Cyclones than anything.
Kingsbury isn't the GM lol trading for Hopkins took the wind out of Butler's sails, not Butler's Tech games.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It is increasingly frustrating what little respect our guys get in the league. Butler never saw the field, but for whatever reason Arizona can justify cutting him after drafting him in the 4th round? Its like they're punishing him for being injured.

Montgomery is loathed by a lot of bears fans i know too. The ones who aren't smart enough to understand that they had the worst run blocking o line in the league last season.

Mind numbingly frustrating.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Cuts are coming in; am trying to figure out what Cyclones are making squads. Willie Harvey was cut by the Browns.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It looks like Steve Wirtel has been cut by the Lions as Detroit is sticking with 39-year old long-snapper Don Muhlbach.

The Detroit Free Press referred to Wirtel as "probably the best long-snapper in college" last year. I hope that means that he can land a gig somewhere.

Reactions: khardbored

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Marcel Spears and Josh Knipfel were both released by the Bengals.

I hope some of these guys end up on practice squads. Knipfel was taking snaps with teh 2s in training camp.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Julian Good-Jones and Matt Leo were both released by the Eagles. They can keep Leo on the practice squad without using on their allotted spots under the NFL's "international pathway." We'll see if they choose to do so.