Early Game-Day thread- NDSU

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
My wafe went to NDSU, so her side of the family will be at the game.

NDSU will not come into the game thinking they can win, they will expect to win.
I expect to make 1 billion dollars and sleep with a model, doesnt mean its going to happen. :wink:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
My wafe went to NDSU, so her side of the family will be at the game.

NDSU will not come into the game thinking they can win, they will expect to win.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well good for them i guess. Even though they won't. I hope there hearts won't be too crushed and there season ruined.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'd like to see Mahoney break the single game record for field goals in a game/points in a game for a kicker which I thought he would do in the SDSU game (he was one point shy of tying). I would really like to see him have an improved year and hopefully break a few records early on in his career.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
I wish I could say I think that NDSU will be a push over, but I doubt we will win by much. I'm actually a little worried about this game, because I don't think we'll be able to stop the run against anyone this year and the Bison have a rushing attack better than at least the bottom 25 D1-A teams. So, they will have some success running the ball against us and I think they will score at least 2 TDs on long drives that really chew up clock, keeping the ball away from Arnaud and company.

I think we'll end up with only 8 possessions at the very most. Of those 8, we'll give up at least 1 turnover because of inexperience with the offense and we'll blow at least 2 more possessions because of messed up assignments and play calls in the new scheme. I think our red-zone woes will continue and we'll stall out on 1 drive when we're knocking on the door. However, when we don't make mistakes we will score and on 4 possessions, I think we hit paydirt.

The D will do just well enough against their solid rushing attack and will benefit from a few miscues on NDSU's part in their first game to just get us over the top for a W, despite giving up 200+ yards rushing.

My prediction: 24-28 ISU and the first win in the Coach Rhoads era.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd like to see Mahoney break the single game record for field goals in a game/points in a game for a kicker which I thought he would do in the SDSU game (he was one point shy of tying). I would really like to see him have an improved year and hopefully break a few records early on in his career.

I'd like to see Mahoney attempt A LOT LESS field goals this year. Nothing against him, I think he's a good kicker, but last year we lead the conference in field goal attempts. Its a direct result of red zone woes. I want touchdowns baby!

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'd like to see Mahoney attempt A LOT LESS field goals this year. Nothing against him, I think he's a good kicker, but last year we lead the conference in field goal attempts. Its a direct result of red zone woes. I want touchdowns baby!

Missouri had an offense that was much more productive that ISU's last year and their kicker was second to Mahoney, not counting the post season, in attempts. I do get what youre saying and I completely agree that more touchdowns would be ideal, but there are always going to be opportunities for field goals.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
I predict Tiller has 300 through the air and 100 on the ground. AA decides to transfer at half time. Says he is going to Ohio to take Bates job away just to **** him off.

CyFan987

Jan 8, 2008
Waco, TX
Ugh, I hate it when it isn't football season. I need to be in Jack Trice and I need to watch ISU destroy NDSU!!
ISU 56
NDSU 0

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Missouri had an offense that was much more productive that ISU's last year and their kicker was second to Mahoney, not counting the post season, in attempts. I do get what youre saying and I completely agree that more touchdowns would be ideal, but there are always going to be opportunities for field goals.

True. I would love to see Mahoney get a chance for a game winner, and see if he can establish himself as a clutch kicker. IMO, his one against UNLV in ot was pretty darn clutch. I don't think Culbertson ever hit a field goal with less than 5 minutes left in a game outside of Iowa '07, and Mahoney hit what could've been a game winner as a true frosh.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
i dont want the Defense to give up more than 3 or 7 points in the first half. If we have like 6 months to prepare for a measly NDSU team, there is no reason we should allow them to score more than that.

Offensively, just be methodical. Run what we want and execute. No turnovers and lots of first downs and capitalizing in the red-zone!

Go Cyclones!