Favorite Animated Movies

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's a favorite in our ho...SQUIRREL!!!

Some of my favorites are really REALLY old school:
Jungle Book (Baloo dancing to "Bare Necessities")
The Rescuers (Bob Newhart & Eva Gabor voicing heroic mice...what's not to love?)
The Sword and the Stone
Bambi (I love Thumper & Flower)
Dumbo
Lady & The Tramp (love Peg and the chorus in the pound)
101 Dalmations (Cruella is the perfect nemesis)

And the best for last:

Fantasia
My mother taught me to listen to classical music with my eyes closed, and let the music paint a picture in my mind. Fantasia is the embodiment of that. Hippos in tu-tus? Yes, please!

Fantasia is one of my all time favorite movies from my childhood. Always loved it. I remember every time I was home sick as a kid, laying down, watching Fantasia, and drifting off to sleep.

Fantasia 2000 was a little underwhelming but still pretty good. They had no chance to live up to the original.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It's a favorite in our ho...SQUIRREL!!!

Some of my favorites are really REALLY old school:
Jungle Book (Baloo dancing to "Bare Necessities")
The Rescuers (Bob Newhart & Eva Gabor voicing heroic mice...what's not to love?)
The Sword and the Stone
Bambi (I love Thumper & Flower)
Dumbo
Lady & The Tramp (love Peg and the chorus in the pound)
101 Dalmations (Cruella is the perfect nemesis)

And the best for last:

Fantasia
My mother taught me to listen to classical music with my eyes closed, and let the music paint a picture in my mind. Fantasia is the embodiment of that. Hippos in tu-tus? Yes, please!

I love Fantasia too! Almost listed it and then didn't. DH puts classical music on in his car sometime and I'll be like oh this is the dancing ostrich/unicorn/centaur portion. He's like what????

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Glad Toy Story 3 is on here already, that is one of the best movies of any kind I've ever seen. I cant say I've cried watching an animated movie before or will ever again, it's just great all the way through.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Lots of good ones already mentioned.

Wreck It Ralph was great. Something very different and the kids loved it. The sequel as others have said was just slightly disappointing, but they didn't have too many ways to go from the original that would have been terribly phenomenal.
The Incredibles has always been up there for me.
I thought Inside Out was really interesting and the interpretation of the facets of a hormonal teenagers psyche. Made me look at my 11 year old son a little differently.
Lego Movie was really good, sequel not nearly as good. Lego Batman was actually quite good in that it poked fun at so many of the Batman tropes. My 2 year old adores it as well.
Despicable Me was great. The sequels, including the Minion movie have just been money grabs though. Still funny at some points, but not near the original still.
I really liked Big Hero 6. While some will say that it was formulaic, it still had a lot of heart and interesting characters. I thought their superpowers being a result of their own ingenuity was endearing.

Classic Disney:
Fantasia is my #1 all time Disney movie.
Robin Hood and The Jungle Book were favorites of mine as a kid because they weren't princess movies.
Aladdin and Lion King were also very good movies from when I was a little older.

One animated movie that no on e has mentioned that I really loved was The Hobbit! And eventually the animated versions of The Lord of the Rings and The Return of the King

Hobbit_1977_Original_Film_Poster.jpg
220px-The_Lord_of_the_Rings_%281978%29.jpg
250px-The_Return_of_the_King%2C_1980_film.jpg

They were my first introduction to the world of JRR Tolkein. I was too young to read The Hobbit still, but did so a few years later. We had these on VHS and I watched them over and over again.
The animation style still sticks with me and I remember, in my head, comparing recent The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit movies with my memories of the old cartoons.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Brave is good. It's not traditional, but it's clever and good for empowering young girls!

It's pretty easily my favorite of the "princess" movies. It's so clever, and Zachary Levi is funny. The themes are definitely heavier than the run of the mill Disney themes!

Apparently Moana is extremely underrated! It's easily one of my favorites, but has only been mentioned once in this thread I think. It's like Brave in the sense of not being traditional and a great empowerment movie.

Reactions: Angie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Classic Disney:
Robin Hood and The Jungle Book were favorites of mine as a kid because they weren't princess movies.
You'll notice Snow White, Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty were conspicuously absent from my list of old-school Disney. I'm not really a princessy-type gal. ;)

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
In no particular order, these are my Top 10 (+2 because I couldn't choose two to not make the cut)
Coraline
Big Hero 6
The Incredibles
Mulan
Kung Fu Panda
Tangled
Mulan
Beauty and the Beast
Wall-E
Monsters, Inc.
The Lion King
The Secret of NIMH

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
1. Nausicaa
2. Pinocchio
3. Toy Story
4. Grave of the Fireflies (saddest film ever made)
5. The Incredibles
6. The Last Unicorn
7. Spider-Verse
8. How to Train Your Dragon
9. Ratatouille
10. Isle of Dogs

Tough to leave off...The Hobbit, Toy Story 2, Totoro, Akira, Wall-E, Mr Fox, Nightmare before CHristmas, Spirited Away, Ninja Scroll (guilty pleasure), Secret of Nimh

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
One animated movie that no on e has mentioned that I really loved was The Hobbit! And eventually the animated versions of The Lord of the Rings and The Return of the King

They were my first introduction to the world of JRR Tolkein. I was too young to read The Hobbit still, but did so a few years later. We had these on VHS and I watched them over and over again.
The animation style still sticks with me and I remember, in my head, comparing recent The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit movies with my memories of the old cartoons.

The Hobbit movies, LOTR animated movies and Last Unicorn are all very underrated and forgotten too often.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My biggest beef with Moana was the big crab creature Tamatoa felt like a straight ripoff of Nigel from Rio. They are both voiced by the same guy (Jemaine Clement) and the character vocal stylings and delivery are really similar.

It's a small part in Moana, but it still bothers me.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My biggest beef with Moana was the big crab creature Tamatoa felt like a straight ripoff of Nigel from Rio. They are both voiced by the same guy (Jemaine Clement) and the character vocal stylings and delivery are really similar.

that david bowie tribute tho.

• Winner

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

But he's so shiny...

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Wreck It Ralph was great. Something very different and the kids loved it. The sequel as others have said was just slightly disappointing, but they didn't have too many ways to go from the original that would have been terribly phenomenal.
The Incredibles has always been up there for me.
I thought Inside Out was really interesting and the interpretation of the facets of a hormonal teenagers psyche. Made me look at my 11 year old son a little differently.
Lego Movie was really good, sequel not nearly as good. Lego Batman was actually quite good in that it poked fun at so many of the Batman tropes. My 2 year old adores it as well.
Despicable Me was great. The sequels, including the Minion movie have just been money grabs though. Still funny at some points, but not near the original still.
I really liked Big Hero 6. While some will say that it was formulaic, it still had a lot of heart and interesting characters. I thought their superpowers being a result of their own ingenuity was endearing.

Classic Disney:
Aladdin and Lion King were also very good movies from when I was a little older.

We had The Hobbit on one of those read-along books with the 45 inside. I read that short book a billion times before my brother got me hooked on the full-sized version of Hobbit and the LOTR series.

I didn't stumble on the cartoon until one night in high school and I was all "What the hell? How have I not seen this before?!"

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and cyhiphopp

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Awww, you guys...... you all know I'm a sucker for these types of threads, so touschee. With that said, here is my own top 10 in actual order too.
  1. Lion King
  2. Aladdin
  3. Mulan
  4. Beauty and the Beast
  5. Big Hero 6
  6. Moana
  7. The Little Mermaid
  8. The Jungle Book
  9. Toy Story 3
  10. Despicable Me
And yes, unabashedly I'm a bit of a Disney schill. I'll admit it.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Having a kid now, I'm realizing how incredible kids movies are these days and how awful they were in my day. Little Mermaid can barely keep my attention, let alone my 2 year old. Moana has some of the best music of any Disney Princess movie. Coco has one of the best messages and animation of any Disney movie. The Lego Movie was made for me specifically. There are also a lot of trash movies out there. Emoji movie? Deserves 76 poop emojis.