Favorite Animated Movies

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I love all the Disney movies, the new ones and the classics.

We just watched Snow White, and it is quite the different type of movie from Tangled.

Some of my favorites through my adult eyes are Tangled, Moana and The Lion King. Coco is up there, but not sure it's quite on the same level. As someone with two daughters, I like the fact that Moana isn't a princess falling in love movie. And she has both

Frozen is a good movie with a terrible plot line, and a great soundtrack. But we watch it frequently in my house. :confused:

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
1. Nausicaa
2. Pinocchio
3. Toy Story
4. Grave of the Fireflies (saddest film ever made)
5. The Incredibles
6. The Last Unicorn
7. Spider-Verse
8. How to Train Your Dragon
9. Ratatouille
10. Isle of Dogs

Tough to leave off...The Hobbit, Toy Story 2, Totoro, Akira, Wall-E, Mr Fox, Nightmare before CHristmas, Spirited Away, Ninja Scroll (guilty pleasure), Secret of Nimh

Agreed. In my opinion it's sadder than Schindler's List.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Ghost In the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Grave of the Fireflies
Berserk
Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Planetes

• Winner
Reactions: Cyrocks

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Haven't seen a lot of these, but have some definite faves:

Wall*E (watched with middle daughter Alana, absolutely loved it)
Despicable Me (the original, watched with 2 of my grandsons - I heard Casen ask his Mom, "What's wrong with Papa?")
Finding Nemo
Minions (no question, the best part of the "Despicable" series)
Shrek

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
I'm not sure you could make it live action, it would be even harder to watch...but it's something that happened, or many versions of it happened.

Agreed. Uncle who was in Vietnam couldn't finish the film. Said it reminded him too much of the war.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I haven't read the entire thread, but I like Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Reactions: Daserop

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I love all the Disney movies, the new ones and the classics.

We just watched Snow White, and it is quite the different type of movie from Tangled.

Some of my favorites through my adult eyes are Tangled, Moana and The Lion King. Coco is up there, but not sure it's quite on the same level. As someone with two daughters, I like the fact that Moana isn't a princess falling in love movie. And she has both

Frozen is a good movie with a terrible plot line, and a great soundtrack. But we watch it frequently in my house. :confused:

I've seen Frozen only once. The one good thing about that movie is that it taught the lesson of not falling in love at first sight. Too much of that in older Disney movies.

Reactions: harimad

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
No Miyazaki mentions at all? You Philistines!

Spirited Away is kinda weird af to be honest, but it won an Oscar so let's start with that one.
The Studio Ghibli films are brilliant. My wife and I have been huge fans of the special showings in theaters, and have seen several over the last year locally. Seeing Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc. on the big screen is a wonderful experience.
They are the equivalent of the Pixar films where the adults and kids enjoy them for different reasons.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Anybody that has Toy Story 3 but not the original is wrong. The first is easily the best of the trilogy, 3 is 2nd

I like 1 and 3. I think people are putting 3 up higher because of the sad ending.

Interested to see what they do with 4. They kind of had the perfect ending there. Now they are getting greedy.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I like 1 and 3. I think people are putting 3 up higher because of the sad ending.

Interested to see what they do with 4. They kind of had the perfect ending there. Now they are getting greedy.

Agree, although, leaving the theater after 3, I wanted another movie. But seeing previews, not sure its gonna be very good

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The Studio Ghibli films are brilliant. My wife and I have been huge fans of the special showings in theaters, and have seen several over the last year locally. Seeing Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc. on the big screen is a wonderful experience.
They are the equivalent of the Pixar films where the adults and kids enjoy them for different reasons.

It's all new to me actually. GF is big into them, has the entire collection, and a gloriously artistic sleeve of tats to boot. We went to Spirited Away in the theater too, it was cool. I probably enjoyed Porco Rosso more just because it was funnier and less "foreign". I've got a bunch more to catch up on. Extremely good movies for empowering kids, ESPECIALLY girls.

Also went to see the Never-Ending Man documentary, which was short but a really interesting look into the man. How to deal with physical and mental decline, when you are a famous genius with impossibly high standards, which you can no longer attain, but still have the intense need to create. Highly recommend.

• Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron