Favorite Band that Few People Know

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I am horrible at knowing who is popular or 'known' and always one that says 'have you heard of this band they are awesome!' way after the fact that everyone knows of them.

So that being said, I dig the folk sister group First Aid Kit, the group Big Data and the artist K.Flay.

"Dangerous" is among my favorite songs of the decade, but I have trouble watching parts of that video (although I admire its artsy quality).

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Going to college in the early 2000s was a pretty exciting time for hard to find bands. Early Pitchfork reviews opened me up to a lot of bands I had never heard of (and probably wouldn't have found prior to this).

Here are a few that pop up in my mind.

Another one is The Buddyrevelles. I actually caught these guys in concert in Eau Claire, WI.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
They're going to be in DSM in early December, and I'm SO BUMMED that it's sold out. I thought it was unreleased Zeppelin, too. They just rock out.

I want to say it was Super Toad! It's the only time I've ever been there. It was pretty small, and it was HOT in there. But it was loud and awesome!

I LOVE Father John Misty. He's so clever and filthy.
A buddy of mine just checked on their concert. They are playing at Woolie's in DM, and still have tix available. Pricey though, $ 130. Have Janny shoo the moths out of his wallet.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The Jayhawks are fairly well known, I think. They've had several top 40 hits back in the day.

Jayhawks are an example of band that "it depends on who you ask." I'm a music geek who happened to see the group live several times and I own one album. But I'm guessing it doesn't have a high name-recognition among "casual" music consumers.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Caamp

The Last Revel

The Ghost of Paul Revere (Great live. Seen them a couple times)

The Lil' Smokies (An absolute riot live)

Awesome and thanks for the bluegrass ideas. I spent a summer in SW Virginia/Appalachia Mountains where that was all that was around. I miss it.

Here is my favorite bluegrass song of all time (sorry video is very old).

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
A buddy of mine just checked on their concert. They are playing at Woolie's in DM, and still have tix available. Pricey though, $ 130. Have Janny shoo the moths out of his wallet.

I'll work on him, as he really enjoyed them when I played them for him! I'd seen them listed on StubHub and such for fairly high. They are really good - I love that there are some people who also enjoy them!

Reactions: oldman

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Awesome and thanks for the bluegrass ideas. I spent a summer in SW Virginia/Appalachia Mountains where that was all that was around. I miss it.

Old video but Bela Fleck looks exactly the same. I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing

Reactions: cyhiphopp and mj4cy

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

If you liked those here are some more of a similar style.

Sons of the East

The Brothers Comatose

Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons

The Tallest Man on Earth

Reactions: mj4cy and Angie

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
If you guys are in to brass bands, I have a couple for you.

The Youngblood Brass Band, who has probably the best jazz sousaphonist on the planet...Nat McIntosh. He can do multiphonics and all sorts of crazy beatboxing in his mouthpiece, he starts that at around the 3:42 mark.

Here's another one with a great sousa line. I know we have some former band fanatics on here.

The Cat Empire. This is an 'odd' band, but if you like horns seriously give this song a shot. They have a screaming brass combo. That trumpet is awesome.

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
Very appreciative to get some new music to check out from this thread. Here's a couple that you may not have heard of but should try:

SUSTO is a band that opened for The Lumineers at Wells Fargo in Des Moines this spring. My wife and I were blown away and have seen them twice since (once in KC this summer and just last week they played at Wooly's in Des Moines). I guess it's 'Americana' music. Here's a couple that show their serious and funny sides.

Good Old War are a crazy talented trio from Philadelphia. Saw them open for Guster several years ago and have caught their shows several times since. They always end by getting in the middle of the crowd and doing a couple singalongs.

Nickel Creek have been around a while but fly under the radar of bluegrass favorites. Chris Thile is an absolute virtuoso on the mandolin.

Here's a nostaliga pick for other Iowa Staters that were in Ames in the early 2000s. These guys played at People's all the time. I've had a lot of fun nights stumbling out of that place after one of their shows. Dazy Head Mazy. This one always got the crowd dancing like crazy.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Not sure if it's all that unknown since they were pretty big in Ames when I was a student, but I always think of The Envy Corps. One of my favorite concert experiences was them as a headliner in the M-Shop.

I forgot about this one. Thanks for posting it!

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Hellbound Glory

Uncle Tupelo

Tyler Childers

watch

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A few from a variety of genres:

- Greta Van Fleet - are awesome, sound a ton like Led Zeppelin. They just released their first full album, and have a great sound:

- The Sheepdogs - they are a little bit more of a 60s throwback, have some notes of The Beatles sometimes. Very jangly:

- St Paul and the Broken Bones - very cool soul/R&B, a bit of a throwback to the Motown soul era:

- Republican Hair - they are a tiny little band out of Memphis, but are just freaking hilarious and pithy and catchy, check out several of their songs:

I am having the hardest time imagining how that 21 year old kid sounds that much like Robert Plant. Much less how awesome and old school their sound is. Thanks for posting!
giphy.gif

• Friendly

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron