Field conditions for Thursday

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Anybody have any insight as to what to expect for field conditions on Thursday? There have been discussions about the weather impact on parking and tailgating, but I haven't seen any predictions about what shape the turf will be in.

Even if the rain tapers off before game time, I would have to believe that the turf is going to be saturated and quite possibly sloppy and slow. I'm guessing that the game could turn out to be ugly and low scoring, but haven't decided if either side gains an advantage from poor footing.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Non-factor. Fast drainage system. If it rains during game or just before, the surface could be slick. But mud and standing water won't happen at Iowa State.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
My guess is that the turf will be in great shape. It has been really dry for quiet some time before these latest rain showers so the ground and drainage system should be able to take care of all the moisture. I bet conditions will be very close to normal if it quits raining in the afternoon.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Field looks great!

This was taken today. Woooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__--__-.jpg

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Re: Field looks great!

What'd they do - just mow it in the opposite direction every 10 yards? That looks sharper than when Nebraska "paints" it on to their field turf...

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
might be a little wet but as long as there are several hours for the drainage system to get ahead and some sun it will be good.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
might be a little wet but as long as there are several hours for the drainage system to get ahead and some sun it will be good.

The dry weather most of the day today will help too. Everything should have dried out from yesterday's rain so the rain we get tonight and tomorrow should be no problem. Can't wait to walk into JT and make the walk down to our seats for the first time. :biggrin:

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA

Whoever tends to the grass at Soldier Field has a thing or two (or a thousand) things to learn from the ISU grounds crew.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

What'd they do - just mow it in the opposite direction every 10 yards? That looks sharper than when Nebraska "paints" it on to their field turf...
Yeah, I'd imagine they also have rollers behind the mowers to make the shades of green even more distinct.
Natural grass looks so much better than field turf.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I wouldn't be to worried about the field. If i remember correctly the drainage system is built to handle 5 inches of rain per hour. If we get five inches in one hour we have more to worry about then a football game.

I think the field will be in great shape tomorrow night. Don't think it will be sloppy at all, there is a lot more sand in the soil on college football fields than most people realize. It's not like the field is a small town high school field where it was just built in the flattest part of town.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
I would think after sunset the grass could get a little slick from dew. May need to make a cleat change mid game.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't be to worried about the field. If i remember correctly the drainage system is built to handle 5 inches of rain per hour. If we get five inches in one hour we have more to worry about then a football game.

I think the field will be in great shape tomorrow night. Don't think it will be sloppy at all, there is a lot more sand in the soil on college football fields than most people realize. It's not like the field is a small town high school field where it was just built in the flattest part of town.
Or, they build the football field with a 6 foot crown down the middle of the field. :biglaugh:

Reactions: SenorCy

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

OK, I'll be the first to bite.

How freakin amazing would it look with the end zone bowled in?K