Formula One starts this weekend, am I the only fan?

Cleaver

Jul 9, 2015
Absolute disaster for Mercedes in the last 5 minutes. Russell once again is going to miss out on points in the Williams.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Great result for Lando! Once Ricciardo gets the car figured out a little more things are going to be going really well for mclaren.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Really excited for Lando. McLaren needs a little more pace from Daniel if they want to keep it tight for third in the Constructor's against Ferrari.

Red Bull could have had a massive gain today in both championships but the safety car, red flag, and Sergio losing it ultimately gives the gain back to Mercedes- albeit the race is tight.

We're in for a good season!

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Indy race about to start up here in St. Petersburg. Haven’t really watched much aside from the Indy500 in years past but may try to follow more when F1 is off for the weekend.

Last week’s race was actually pretty competitive. I’ve heard this sport is a lot more so than F1.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Indy race about to start up here in St. Petersburg. Haven’t really watched much aside from the Indy500 in years past but may try to follow more when F1 is off for the weekend.

Last week’s race was actually pretty competitive. I’ve heard this sport is a lot more so than F1.
I don’t make a point of watching Indycar just because I usually have stuff around the house I want to get done on a Sunday afternoon but it usually pretty good racing. I’m watching St Pete too because I have to take off in about an hour and don’t want to start a project right now.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Formally announced yesterday that F1 will run three sprint qualifying races this year. Curious what others think.

I’m not really sure this will lead to the “fix” they’re intending for.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Formally announced yesterday that F1 will run three sprint qualifying races this year. Curious what others think.

I’m not really sure this will lead to the “fix” they’re intending for.
At first I thought it sounded fun, but the more I think about it the more I'm not so sure. The fun thing to me about qualifying is that someone only needs to have 2 great laps to qualify in a top spot. If you make a mistake in qualifying you're almost certainly out of the running. Now you if you make a mistake you may have 15 laps or something to gain that spot back.

Also it seems like we could finally have a legit championship fight between Max and Lewis, hopefully the extra points in the Saturday race don't rob us of that.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
At first I thought it sounded fun, but the more I think about it the more I'm not so sure. The fun thing to me about qualifying is that someone only needs to have 2 great laps to qualify in a top spot. If you make a mistake in qualifying you're almost certainly out of the running. Now you if you make a mistake you may have 15 laps or something to gain that spot back.

Also it seems like we could finally have a legit championship fight between Max and Lewis, hopefully the extra points in the Saturday race don't rob us of that.
Yeah, I just think the traditional qualifying format allowed for Mr. Saturday excitement where you might see a McLaren get front row, or two Williams into Q2.

Just have a feeling this will reduce that chance because even if a driver does great things with a mediocre car, they’re likely not able to sustain that over a 15-20 lap sprint race. You’re likely just further filtering the grid out by car at that point.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Im curious do you all cheer for teams or drivers? I grew up on nascar and dirt track racing but have gotten into F1 due to the Netflix show and pandemic and now dont miss a race.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Im curious do you all cheer for teams or drivers? I grew up on nascar and dirt track racing but have gotten into F1 due to the Netflix show and pandemic and now dont miss a race.
Got into it starting March last year for the same reasons. I probably follow drivers more so across the grid with those that I like and those not as much.

With Twitch and how the pandemic delayed the season last year, I really gravitated towards Lando and that ties into McLaren. Just a really likable team making huge strides up the mid-field and now in a fight to edge Ferrari out of the podium again.

But yeah I also find myself able to root for drivers of any team though really- depends on the race and how it plays out, like Perez in Sakhir with a fantastic performance, or George in a Merc at Sakhir as well, Pierre/Carlos at Monza last year.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Drivers mostly I'd say, but like @JHUNSY and probably a lot of other people I am a big Lando fan, and therefore a McLaren fan. McLaren kills it in terms of fan engagement, their Youtube channel is great with their behind the scenes videos. The Norris/Sainz partnership was great fun, and I'm a big Ricciardo fan as well, I really like Zak Brown too.

Outside of that I always have to root for George Russell, I can't wait until he finally gets his points, be nice if it happened before he's in a Mercedes. I don't know how someone couldn't like Max as well.

Cleaver

Jul 9, 2015
Like the others, I follow the drivers more so than the teams. And also like the others, Lando has left a huge impression on me with how open he is about everything on twitch and the sorts. I've also been following his Team Quadrant stuff as he picked up a few other Youtubers that I subscribe to and just like to keep tabs on it. McLaren would probably be my team, because to me they seem like the most American of the teams. Even more so than Haas who actually is the American team. Zak Brown has done wonders with that team and has them pointed in a great direction. I think he also knows what it takes to appeal to Americans and that's why I think you're going to see a whole bunch of McLaren fans in the states for the coming years. Especially if they can keep Ricciardo on board long term.