Friday OT - All I Want for Christmas Is…

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Yeah, we quit doing gifts a few years ago. Just became a hassle for everyone, so our gift to each other is not to hassle to get gifts. We've talked about doing some kind of thing together as a family, but haven't been able to figure out anything that works for my folks, us, and my grown kids.

So I guess what I want for Xmas is a bunch of ideas on a family event/experience that would be fun yet manageable for fun but slightly physically limited 75 year olds, as well as 7 adults from 26 to 50, and 3 kids from 17 to 21. All are intelligent, like games, but a lot of cynicism and sarcasm as well. Hard group to please.

We've considered an escape room, bowling, going to a movie, one of those art things where you paint something, and a couple others I can't remember. Never could get enough "yeah!" around any of them to make it work.

Thoughts, CF?
I hope you're able to figure something out. Start the conversation with family members and write down a bunch of ideas? The hardest part is finding a date that works for everyone.

A few games we play when we get together with my husband's family every year at the lake:
OK, Boomer (generational trivia game) - you can compete as individuals or teams​
Relative Insanity - kind of like Cards Against Humanity​
Mexican Train Dominoes​

My sister and I tried for years to convince our parents to take the $$ spent at Christmas and all of us rent a big VRBO/AirBNB somewhere for a weekend (or maybe a couple of condos within the same complex), make sure it's someplace with an amenity or two to make it special (fire pit, hot tub, pool table or other things to "entertain") with a couple of things to do nearby, but otherwise spend time together and create memories. Split up who cooks and make reservations at a restaurant for one or two meals. They thought we were silly and refused to give up Christmas at their house. Now the parents are not physically able to get out. So...my sister and I are getting our families together for an extended weekend this summer (10 adults ages 32-59 and 3 kids ages 5-12).

Interesting side note: we did this for their 50th anniversary and they have repeatedly talked bout how much they loved that weekend together)

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Hire a bus/van/stretch limo to take you for a drive through the Christmas lights in a town not far from where you live. Make the driver honk when you see one you like.

Rent a local venue and host a little party for friends, family, neighbors, etc. Play games like pairing up and finding out 3 things you have in common with your partner.

Stage an event for the residents at a local retirement home with snacks and entertainment and maybe a small gift for each from the Dollar Tree, etc. - you can sing and it doesn't matter if you're bad because many will not hear very well anyway). Ask each resident to share a favorite (Christmas) memory. (I've done this, it's very moving...bring Kleenex).

Have a jigsaw puzzle tournament. Get two or three puzzles that are exactly alike, choose up teams of 6 or 4), set a timer to go off to start you all and see who can put their puzzle together first. Or, set the timer and whoever has the most pieces in at the end of an hour wins.

Get some supplies like paper, crayons, markers, etc and see who can make the best hand-made Christmas card, then each player give their card to another person in the group. Or, mail them to a VA hospital (for example).

Get a professional family portrait done. Schedule several poses with different clothes. If you can't afford a photographer, do it yourselves with your own cameras.

Make a video of you all saying what you love about each family member. Real keepsake. (bring Kleenex for when you watch).

Have a bake-off and see who can turn out the best cake (or cookies or whatever). Would probably need a large kitchen for this.

Play "I accuse" where you pick a person to be "it" and then the others write accusations on little slips of paper. Stuff like "I accuse Grandma of smoking a pipe when no one is looking." She will deny it and you all can say, "See? When no one is looking!!!" etc etc. One person reads the "accusations" and the person who is "It" tries to guess who said them. Person with most correct guesses is the winner. Of course, there has to be a prize...don't play this if you have sarcastic people in your family, though. Could get ugly quickly.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy each other while you are still all around. Time can go more quickly than we know.

Reactions: CascadeClone

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Socks! It might not be exciting but I’ve found that a good quality pair of socks is simple and easy and something I can always use.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Money and to spend time with the niblings.

We get my nephew all day the day after Christmas, so at least my sister listens.

Reactions: NWICY

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Time to spend with my kids and grandkids after Christmas and heath for our daughter.

They are all flying in, and we are staying at the Gateway for 4 days to spend time together. Reason we are at the Gateway and not at our house is because our daughter is undergoing chemo treatments for cancer. She found a lump on the backside of her shoulder while we were on the east coast this summer, got tested and came back as a rare sarcoma. Started radiation and after 5 treatments the docs decided that they needed to be doing chemo instead. She has been through 5 rounds of chemo, they are going do surgery after the first of the year to remove it. So far it has not spread, but her's is a very rare sarcoma, something like only 200 cases a year worldwide and they are just guessing what the best form of treatment is.

Have a Merry Christmas to all, and hold you kids and parents tight when you see them over the holidays.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I wanted good weather this year for Christmas and it's going to happen. About 80 degrees different from last year.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I would like the ISU men's basketball team to go 6-0 in the NCAA tournament this March.
When they were doing post game interviews on the radio last night one of the players mentioned playing in April as his Xmas wish for the team, John said I like that idea.

Reactions: Ms3r4ISU

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I actually like giving and do what I can, so honestly I'd love to have unlimited funds to help out various causes, find families to help out, etc.

If it's a "for me" wish....ultimate wish is a when-my-husband-retires goal: create a retirement we don't need a vacation from that includes 60+ acres of land with mostly timber; build a barndo that has a 2-3 BR home; large kick @ss connected garage containing a UTV, lawnmower, tractor with equipment to plant food plots, a skid steer; big covered porch with fireplace so we can sit outside when it's raining and still hang out by the fire; make the place energy efficient and so we can be self-sustaining if needed; have a big garden and maybe a few livestock; and add a hot tub and maybe a swimming pool. :cool:

Realistic - just to spend time with family, for everyone to be healthy and content.

I'll take this, plus a couple acre fishing pond.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I've adopted the 'less is more' lifestyle and actually get stressed out when people buy me objects.

Gift cards go much better; I'll buy something when it's needed.
Same, I’ll gladly take some nice new clothes or preferably gift cards or money. At my age of 42 I can go get whatever I want most the time so I hate seeing people use their money on something I may never use. Maybe a little harsh idk but I prefer to be honest about it

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My wife and I decided that we had already gotten our Christmas presents this year. She has been collecting some little ceramic figurines from Nosey Mungo (pretty cool artist from the UK) and I just got a used golf cart (just in time to store it for the winter :()

A year ago I was getting geared up to ice fish and if this weather pattern continues I might just break out the canoe.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Same, I’ll gladly take some nice new clothes or preferably gift cards or money. At my age of 42 I can go get whatever I want most the time so I hate seeing people use their money on something I may never use. Maybe a little harsh idk but I prefer to be honest about it

Yeah I send gift cards out and I don't care if those receiving them aren't getting the 'thrill' of unwrapping things.

Reactions: chadly82

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
On a much lighter note, I strained my hamstring in August and have been trying PT from all angles to fix it. I just want the ****ing thing to heal properly so I can get back to running.

Reactions: Angie

Help Support Us

Become a patron