Future Big 12 FB Opponents/Schedule Announced

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I did in a different thread. Too lazy to do so again. The simple math is a 3 + 6 model.

Even if 3 is deemed undesirable by the conference, I don't see why the conference can't at least give us one.

This sucks.
If you go with one protected who is it? Keep in mind that Kansas and K-State are taken. You want to be locked into UCF or Colorado every year like Iowa was with Purdue in the old Legends and Leaders day?

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Glass half full: it’s an opportunity for us to develop a fresh rivalry within the new conference layout. Maybe ISU and BYU become the new titans. Maybe we have some great CCG matchups with someone like UCF. Who knows?

I’m as bummed as anybody about Farmageddon, but I care more about long term health for ISU over anything.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
3 - KSU (2/1)
3 - Cincy (2/1)
3 - UCF (2/1)

3 - OSU (1/2)
3 - WVU (1/2)
3 - Kansas (1/2)

2 - Baylor (1/1)
2 - Arizona (1/1)
2 - Tech (1/1)
2 - ASU (1/1)
2 - Utah (1/1)
2 - BYU (1/1)
2 - Houston (1/1)
2 - TCU (1/1)
2 - Colorado (1/1)
Thanks for this breakdown!

So if we played KSU all 4 years, then 1 of the other teams we play 3 times (Cincy, UCF, OSU, WVU, and Kansas) would be changed to 2 times. I know that I would enjoy playing KSU more than Cincy, UCF, and WVU from a rival standpoint. BUT I know that I would rather play Cincy, UCF, and WVU from a win probability standpoint, based on current projections. I get more good feelings from wins than from simply playing a rivalry game. Thus my opinion is I am ok with this increased chance of 1 more win in 2027 vs making it to 111 straight years of playing against KSU.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I'm all for playing at every venue once every four years.

But you can easily do that while still protecting rivalries.

Hell, each team could have as many as 3 and still pull that off.

Big whiff by the conference.
Playing UCF and Cincinnati 3 times in 4 years could help with recruiting. Plus we get to play our 3 biggest rivals (KU, KSU and OSU) each 3 times in 4 years. That's a pretty good compromise versus having only 1 or 2 of them as "fully" protected rivals.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I would say Missouri is the closest thing we had to a rival in the old Big 8/12.
I agree Mizzu was a bigger rival but they left, we couldnt control that.

But KSU is the longest never interrupted rivalry in the country. So much for that.

This schedule sucks.

So many other ways this could have been done to protect our history with the old Big 8.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
What rivalry are we missing out on?

And no KSU is not our rival no matter how much people try to force the stupid Farmageddon thing. A forced rivalry isn't a rivalry (see NE/IA for example).

Fact is ISU really doesn't have a Big 12 rival.
I hate this part of conference alignment.

With the Matt Campbell version of ISU Football, I really think Mizzou, Nebraska, Kstate and Kansas would have been fun.

But its tough to have a rivalry that is one-sided and ISU needs more time to get decent. Nobody wants to be rivals with someone who hasn't ever done anything relevant.

Oklahoma State is going to be a great example of what ISU goes through with Conference Rivals. Everyone knows OU is their rival. Now they won't even play each other, so now they have to force a rivalry that really isn't their main rival. its like a forced marriage

I get jealous of what Iowa has with Nebby, Minny, Ill and Wisconsin. They have rivalry games with 4 border states. 5 if you include NW, but nobody cares.

That is almost half their season of playing games against teams that border your state and you can easily drive to and talk smack with. ugh....

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I’d love to see the results of a poll if you asked ISU and Iowa fans if they’d be okay taking a year off of CyHawk. I bet it’d be surprising how many would say yes.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I’d love to see the results of a poll if you asked ISU and Iowa fans if they’d be okay taking a year off of CyHawk. I bet it’d be surprising how many would say yes.

Among the hardcore fans of both teams I think you would see some support for it. Among the more casual fans, I think you'd see the opposite. Its an event across the state even for the casual fans.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm confused, do people really give that much of a **** about Kansas State?

Very well could be in the minority on this one, but it didn't even cross my mind that them not being on the schedule in 2027 mattered.
It's the longest continuously running rivalry in college football. It's been played every year for over 100 years, including through 2 pandemics. I think that's pretty cool. Is it that big of a deal, no. But it would be fun to keep it going, plus I think both fanbases consider it a rivalry even if it's neither teams chief rival. I think we should have come up with some kind of trophy for it for years now.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

But KSU is the longest never interrupted rivalry in the country. So much for that.

This schedule sucks.

So many other ways this could have been done to protect our history with the old Big 8.

I personally don't care about the past Big 8/12, give me these new teams with easier schedules and more wins!!

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
It's the longest continuously running rivalry in college football. It's been played every year for over 100 years, including through 2 pandemics. I think that's pretty cool. Is it that big of a deal, no. But it would be fun to keep it going, plus I think both fanbases consider it a rivalry even if it's neither teams chief rival. I think we should have come up with some kind of trophy for it for years now.

Yea, we really screwed up by not getting an antique tractor painted half cardinal and half purple on a trailer. Would have been the coolest rivalry trophy in the country.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014

This schedule sucks.

Telephone trophy

Reactions: CYCLNST8

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron