General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
I think for another major breakthrough for wrestling will be with women. The mens side of college wrestling has pretty much accomplished everything. 4 timers, undefeated careers. You name it its been done. Womens wrestling is one of the fastest growing sports, but its still going to take a long time. The CC phenomenon has taken over 40 years to happen. Womens college wrestling is what like 3 years old.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
So you're all saying men's college wrestling can't get there? Ok, I can accept that. Then let's quit worrying about popularity and ratings and enjoy it for what it is. It's not for everybody, but those of us who love it can't get enough.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
So you're all saying men's college wrestling can't get there? Ok, I can accept that. Then let's quit worrying about popularity and ratings and enjoy it for what it is. It's not for everybody, but those of us who love it can't get enough.
I agree with this. Those of you complaining about coverage apparently weren't around when we could only hope to watch a few meets a year on delay on IPTV. The coverage is better than it ever has been and has led to much more popularity in the sport than it's seen in a long time. Flo/Intermat/Track have a LOT of problems, but the bottom line is that they are making more content available than ever before. If you feel it's too expensive or cumbersome, then don't watch. Most of ISU's meets are on ESPN+ anyway (which to the poster who made the comparison, IS a subscription service also BTW).

Wrestling will never be a mainstream sport so quit worrying about making it one. It's also not dying on the vine like it was 20-30 years ago.

And to the posters who said women's wrestling is only going to help I wholeheartedly agree. Really wish ISU would look into starting a women's program. Would be perfect to have Iowa/ISU as the only two major players leading the way.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
What kind of wrestler would need to come on the scene to duplicate what CC has done for women's college BB? I can't imaging what he would look like. David Carr is the most charismatic, Ferrari the most controversial, Steveson maybe the most talented, Cael the most accomplished, but none have come close to the CC effect for wrestling. Why?
Maybe because of a single 7 minute match vs a whole game

Reactions: jkbuff98

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I love college wrestling and I don’t expect it to be basketball. They get far more attention, money, coverage, and press. We will never be that because of ego from those who can’t. But what I am saying is that two 4 time champs from the same team, on a team that ran away with the title and put 6 in the finals, should be getting a lot more attention and respect. The talking heads on espn should be having some segments on it. Hell they talk about hockey and lacrosse more. They play cornhole bags tournaments all the time. They don’t even try to grow the sport and give it the attention it should have because there are a lot of characters to grab ahold of and storylines to draw the average person in. People would love this sport if they had the ability to be drawn in. People loved the CC story because they couldn’t get away from it if they tried and it was entertainment. Wrestling is also entertaining

Reactions: 4theheckofit

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Interesting.....
In my head this was the only reason they hadn’t hired Coleman Scott yet. I figured they had to be trying to get David to Stillwater for a meeting. David is the complete package to be the next Cael if you have the money and resources. He’s been in that program for a long, long time. He’s been around those coaches for a long time. He has shown the ability to coach and run a successful program and business. He obviously would have John smiths blessing - John has been on the call for his international matches.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
In my head this was the only reason they hadn’t hired Coleman Scott yet. I figured they had to be trying to get David to Stillwater for a meeting. David is the complete package to be the next Cael if you have the money and resources. He’s been in that program for a long, long time. He’s been around those coaches for a long time. He has shown the ability to coach and run a successful program and business. He obviously would have John smiths blessing - John has been on the call for his international matches.
What coaching or business experience does Taylor have?

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
ESPN doesn’t help one single bit with our sport. We just had two 4-time NCAA champions from the same team in the same year. One of them did it after busting up his knee and the team that won it ran away in dominating fashion. They also happen to be a big time BIG10 player. ESPN hardly pushes these headlines leading up to and following the tournament with any of their big talking heads. Just showing the coverage those days isn’t doing it. They have to create the drama and give people these headlines and characters to follow and be attracted to for outside wrestling fans
F ESPN.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG
Dec 21, 2022
As much as I'd hate to see him in the big 12 and even more at Okie State, I'll accept a consolation that he isn't at the dumpster fire TOE.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Consider me not convinced that Taylor will be a better coach than Coleman.

Why is OSU getting all these recruits and transfers right now?

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz