Gonzaga to join the Big 12?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
And you'd think all things being equal, Gonzaga would want in the PAC 12. So you've got to think they don't think they'd get the money they would want with the PAC 12.

Agree.... I think they only want to join the PAC, but are using these other conferences to gain leverage for more money from the PAC.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Didn't Blum say Creighton's NIL collective is strong and paying a nice wage?

Hate to say it, but ISU fans will be in tough competition for professional players...
I have it on good authority what Creighton NIL is. I mean, as good of authority as it gets.
We are way behind them.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I don't see the benefit. It would be a step back image wise. What other major conferences have a bball or fb only team? We would be seen as little brother, and while adding a top tier bball team, it just lowers everyone else.
What we "gain" in ncaa bball money, we lose by getting 1 or 2 fewer other tourney teams already in our conference.
Agreed with this point. Adding a mid major as a basketball only seems like a knock on the overall conference image, even if it is a program that has been playing at the Zags level. Real power conferences don't add hoops only schools. See again the Big East when it was widely viewed as the 6th of the 6 power conferences and then imploded.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldCy and I@ST1

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
I mean, maybe? Kansas, Tech, Baylor, Gonzaga, and Houston seem like an impossible to breach gap, but Tech and Houston have older coaches. If those 2 go they're only a bad hire away from falling behind us. Also, TJ is recruiting at such as high level it might not matter.

We’ll see. Even without Gonzaga it’s going to be interesting. Only time will tell.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
TBH I'd rather dump Colorado's ass and then grab Gonzaga if that's an option.

I don't think those are related.

If we add a school like gonzaga, we probably pair that add with another non-football school.

Any schools with P5 football are a different conversation.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
And you'd think all things being equal, Gonzaga would want in the PAC 12. So you've got to think they don't think they'd get the money they would want with the PAC 12.

But does the PAC have interest in adding a third school from washington?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I don't think those are related.

If we add a school like gonzaga, we probably pair that add with another non-football school.

Any schools with P5 football are a different conversation.
Ah I see what you're saying. Arizona and Utah/Colorado to get to 14 in football. Then Gonzaga and Villanova to get 16 in basketball? I'm down

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Below .500 well that’s probably acceptable to you, but not me.

Why does top 7 mean below .500? Top 8 in the Big 10 last year had winning conference records.

Reactions: CyV

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Unless Gonzaga is just really wanting to actually be in an elite conference.

P12 minus UCLA and maybe minus Arizona/Oregon really isn't going to do wonders for their schedule vs WCC, they already lost BYU off that WCC schedule to B12 so even just staying put their conference is already weaker.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Add Utah and Arizona to get to 14, then add Gonzaga and Nova/Creighton to get to 16. That’s an unreal basketball conference and before people freak out about how hard it’d be, we need to remember we wouldn’t be playing round robin anymore.

I’d selfishly not like to add Creighton because it seems as if TJ and Coach McDermott would step over each other in recruiting.