Greg Ross - New grad transfer

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
We have Eisworth and White returning, but lost Lewis at that fifth secondary spot. Was thinking Azunna would fill it, but this may be the guy. We didn’t have great corner depth so Young staying at corner will help that.

Lewis was not good to put it nicely. Hopefully Ross can step up and give us some better play from that spot

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Any insight as to why he decided to finish else where?

I'm too lazy to look up all the details but I know UNC is pulling in one of the best recruiting classes in the nation this year. Maybe he's been over recruited by some young guys for a couple years now.

Reactions: TarCy

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I feel like our secondary last year would have a completely different rap had they caught even 50% of the balls they got both hands on.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
We have Eisworth and White returning, but lost Lewis at that fifth secondary spot. Was thinking Azunna would fill it, but this may be the guy. We didn’t have great corner depth so Young staying at corner will help that.
Lost Bickham or whatever his name is also. You know, they guy who missed 78 tackles last year. Here is a potential two-deep look at secondary:

S
L. White
D. Miller

S
G. Ross
I. Young

STAR
G. Eisworth
A. Azunna

CB
A. Johnson
K. King

CB
T. Kyle
D. Young

Hopefully Keontae Jones steps his game up this year.

Reactions: isutrevman

TarCy

Oct 11, 2015
Lawrence KS
I'm too lazy to look up all the details but I know UNC is pulling in one of the best recruiting classes in the nation this year. Maybe he's been over recruited by some young guys for a couple years now.

Carolina pulled in a couple top level transfers, one from Clemson, Auburn and Vt each. Add in some really stellar play from the young guys last year, (Storm Duck) and the UNC defensive back room was getting full. Last year there were a ton of injuries that forces the true freshmen into action. Ross probably could have competed on the two deep but obviously he's looking for a more substantial roll.

Great get for the good guys, glad one of my UNC transfers ended up at ISU.

Board fodder over on the blue side, everyone is pretty thrilled that if he had to leave, he's going to play for CMC. Also, interesting to note that Batemen, UNC DC, learned his multiple def from you guessed it... ISU. Should be a leg up for Ross.

Last edited:

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Carolina pulled in a couple top level transfers, one from Clemson, Auburn and Vt each. Add in some really stellar play from the young guys last year, (Storm Duck) and the UNC defensive back room was getting full. Last year there were a ton of injuries that forces the true freshmen into action. Ross probably could have competed on the two deep but obviously he's looking for a more substantial roll.

Board fodder over on the blue side, everyone is pretty thrilled that if he had to leave, he's going to play for CMC. Also, interesting to note that Batemen, UNC DC, learned his multiple def from you guessed it... ISU. Should be a leg up for Ross.
Thanks for the info - what makes you say the folks on the UNC board are thrilled he's going to play for CMC?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

UNC has a player by the name of Storm Duck? That's awesome.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Nice insight here, thanks. Wondering if he got pushed out of a two deep at a school like UNC if we should really be that excited about him coming in and doing big things here. Obviously the thought at UNC was he wasn't good enough, hence they brought in new guys. We'll see, maybe he can provide some nice depth. Just please be better than Bickham. I had almost forgotten about him. That was the closest thing to subtraction by addition that I've seen under Campbell

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Nice insight here, thanks. Wondering if he got pushed out of a two deep at a school like UNC if we should really be that excited about him coming in and doing big things here. Obviously the thought at UNC was he wasn't good enough, hence they brought in new guys. We'll see, maybe he can provide some nice depth. Just please be better than Bickham. I had almost forgotten about him. That was the closest thing to subtraction by addition that I've seen under Campbell

UNC also went through a coaching change. Sometimes new coaches prefer their own guys... especially if they are young and show talent and promise. That doesn't necessarily mean the guys that are there are bad players-- they might even be better than the guys they're being replaced by. Maybe things just aren't working out for him at UNC and he wants a new environment.

Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts turned out to be alright after getting benched then transferring. Plenty more that didn't work out, but the staff must think he will help the team this fall.

TarCy

Oct 11, 2015
Lawrence KS
Thanks for the info - what makes you say the folks on the UNC board are thrilled he's going to play for CMC?

That’s almost an exact quote, UNC fans love CMC and have a lot of respect for what he’s doin out in Ames. Most are pleased he’s at another top 25 program. We don’t like over recruiting kids but always want to see them succeed somewhere else.

What’s funny is many admit that CMC is out of their realm of possibility for a successor after Mack Brown is done rebuilding the program. They figure he’s staying in Ames.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Yep, it's a done deal.

Because of a recent rule change, grad transfers no longer have to be enrolled in a graduate program to be eligible to compete. They can be enrolled in undergraduate coursework, which makes it a lot easier for the athlete and for the receiving Institution.

I know in reality that academics are not a priority for some college athletes, but I’m imagining getting my bachelor’s degree and being able to play one more year while I take 2 online 101 classes and the Beer Wine & Spirits class, all pass/fail.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Regardless if he plays much or not, sounds like he will at least push guys, so I guess competition is good, and I'll trust the coaches to figure out who should start!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Mack could always recruit, now keeping them in line was his issue. He had a solid staff until his natty and then so much poaching of assistants happening it was a battle to get everyone on the same page. Always thought he was a good coach and generally a respectful one also.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Mack could always recruit, now keeping them in line was his issue. He had a solid staff until his natty and then so much poaching of assistants happening it was a battle to get everyone on the same page. Always thought he was a good coach and generally a respectful one also.
ISU poached one of those assistants. Even printed coins in his image.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Browsed the UNC board on 247. Sentiment from most of the posters was they think highly of our program and Campbell, as well as Ross. Their secondary is loaded from what I gathered.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I doubt he got pushed out of the two deep, but it's pretty likely he wasn't starting there. I think that the staff wants to put him at the FS spot. He has some CB skills, but wasn't an elite CB. At FS, he can still use his speed and cover, but he's not going to be on an island.

I feel like this is pretty much covering our bases at Safety. We know Eisworth and White are good. But the other spot? Maybe DJ Miller, maybe Isheem Young, maybe Arnold Azunna. Or maybe they move Datrone Young over. A lot of unknowns there. At least now they have a solid floor.

Lewis really got picked on last year. Bickham had the physical tools that Lewis did not, but man did he miss a lot of tackles. I think this year they take a pretty big step up at Safety as long as Eisworth stays healthy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron