Harbor Freight

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
While a nice addition to that side of town, have to imagine that's going to impact that Ace thats been there for an eternity.
I know that Ace still has paint, grills, etc but their hand tool area, plumbing, etc will take a hit.
It will probably impact them some, but Ace has way more variety of things than HF. Harbor freight is more of just a tool store rather than a hardware store. You're not going to go there and pick up all the supplies you need for a house project.h

They also only carry house brands, so you'll still have people that go to Ace for name brands like Milwaukee and Stihl.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmclone

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
I might be starting a job where I'd need to provide some of my own tools. I might try to source most from HFs higher end brands.
I own a heavy duty repair business. Harbor Freight tools are fine for the most part. The icon brands are just as good as other brands out there at big box stores. Tool truck tools are higher quality, but I honestly quit buying from tool trucks.

The cost vs quality between snap-on to icon has a way larger price gap than quality. Torque wrenches, precision measuring tools, and some specialty tools are worth buying top quality. You wouldn't catch me buying wrenches, sockets, hammers, etc off of a truck.

A lot of good quality tools can be bought online as well. ATD, Sunex, Neiko and other companies make tools that hold up very well.

Northern Tool is a good spot too.

Last edited:

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
I've had good luck with Harbor Freight tools. I've bought a compressor, car jack, jack stands, skill saw and jigsaw from there. I think that if you're buying tools you aren't going to use a ton, maybe a handful of times per year just on house projects, it's a good place to go.

If it's tools you need to use weekly, I'm guessing you get what you pay for.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Ace Hardware is a block from where I live and Harbor Freight basically another block. What to do. Ace does have caramel corn on Friday. Ace is just too darn convenient for me.
I love Ace. Still has the feel of a small town hardware store vs. the giant stores of Home Depot or Lowes where it takes 30min. to find what you're looking for, then another 30min. to decide which part actually fits what you need.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I must not be trying hard enough, I've had tools for 30 years and have never broken one. I have a tendency to lose them, replace them, and then find the old one.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I've shopped at Harbor Freight for years and have had almost zero issues. It's cheap and it works. I think most people who hate on HF do it because other people do it, not because they've actually had an issue with their products.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 0u812 and Cyowa 14

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've shopped at Harbor Freight for years and have had almost zero issues. It's cheap and it works. I think most people who hate on HF do it because other people do it, not because they've actually had an issue with their products.
I think most people think of HF as "cheap Chinese tools."
Sounds like many are happy with the Icon brand.

To me, I think about something like a tarp, work gloves, bungee cords; this would be a gold place to go for that stuff.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I think most people think of HF as "cheap Chinese tools."
Sounds like many are happy with the Icon brand.

To me, I think about something like a tarp, work gloves, bungee cords; this would be a gold place to go for that stuff.
When I tiled our house, I needed most everything including a 6 ft level. I went to Home Depot and the level was $80. At Harbor Freight it was $11. Excluding the saw, I bought EVERYTHING I needed at Harbor Freight including the level and it cost me less than just the level at Home Depot.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I bought their dust collection system a couple years ago and have been happy with it. It was 1/2 or maybe even 1/3 the price of the name brand version. I think it’s slightly louder but it works just fine for this hobbyist.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

The only thing I ever got there that I can say was not worth the money were the Pittsburgh brand vice grip pliers.

Reactions: mramseyISU

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I see Harbor Freight will be opening a store in Ames. I have been going to them in eastern Iowa for close to 20 years. They are OK for low cost items. Not exactly commercial quality, but their upper brand tools are good for home use. At least it gives another option, and are comparable to low cost tools at Menards, Lowe's, etc.

I think there is a new one opening in CR on the NE side too. Where Bed, Bath, Beyond used to be.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
While a nice addition to that side of town, have to imagine that's going to impact that Ace thats been there for an eternity.
I know that Ace still has paint, grills, etc but their hand tool area, plumbing, etc will take a hit.
I have some connections to Ace. I thought the same thing. That sucks for them. But honestly I don’t always go there due to stupidly high prices on some things. If you are in a pinch though and need some weird screw or something, they are a life saver.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY