Help with preserving vegetables

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Does anyone have experience with freezing fresh vegetables? I recently bought more asparagus than I needed, so I blanched all of it and then vacuum sealed what I didn't need right away and froze it in individual portions. But I'm curious about the best way to prepare those frozen portions whenever I'm ready to eat them. Should I thaw them out first and then toss into a skillet, or just throw them in the oven/microwave?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I blanched some ears of sweet corn and vacuum sealed. Did the same to just some ears of fresh picked. I just thawed in the microwave still in the vac sealed bag. I then cooked them in the microwave. I really couldn’t tell the difference. Probably should have put a couple holes in the bags when I cooked them as the bags expanded and popped like a balloon.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Does anyone have experience with freezing fresh vegetables? I recently bought more asparagus than I needed, so I blanched all of it and then vacuum sealed what I didn't need right away and froze it in individual portions. But I'm curious about the best way to prepare those frozen portions whenever I'm ready to eat them. Should I thaw them out first and then toss into a skillet, or just throw them in the oven/microwave?
I'd absolutely thaw them before cooking, and then just throw them into a saute pan with a little olive oil.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Take 3/4 stalks wrap with bacon, use toothpicks to keep in place. Brush with olive oil/flavored olive oil, cook on grill or smoker. Or steam plain asparagus.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I freeze it when it is on sale and just put it in a frozen state on a baking sheet lined in parchment paper and roast it with olive oil and herbs and spices

Do you blanch it before freezing or freeze fresh?