Henry Simon will be on campus tomorrow

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
I'd anticipate a redshirt year similar to the Rony Nelson situation last year. Either way this is good news.
He doesn't have a redshirt. Its probably between Caspers and Simon for that 4th DT. They'll probably play about as much as Mansfield did last year.

Last edited:

usnclone

Feb 9, 2007
I'd anticipate a redshirt year similar to the Rony Nelson situation last year. Either way this is good news.

My understanding he doesn't have a redshirt available. At least, on the DL once in "football" shape, he should be able to sub in for a few snaps a game without much practice.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
thats what it looks like.

can someone inform me, what the hype is on this kid? he's a 2 star juco right? Is it just because we need bodies on the DL and he's a big body?

He was virtually unblockable when he wanted to be. I would like to see him more explosive off the ball but he has surprisingly decent technique and it looks to me like has a solid motor as well. He's a very high energy guy. I would compare him to Lattimer in that they both make plays largely because of energy. Right now I just have to question what kind of shape he is in. He won't be better than Rump and I don't think he will play ahead of Pompey but I think he could certainly help out for 20-30 plays a game and help the position.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLXysrKu6nA]#99 Henry Simon - YouTube[/ame]

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Shouldn't Pompey be starting to practice soon? Didn't he only have a knee scope? Maybe both Simon and Pompey start to practice around the same time.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't know a lot about the NG postion, but it always looked the nose guard was suppose to attack the middle of the line and tie up a couple linemen, if they made a play, great. If not they free up someone else to make the play. To me it looks like a position without a lot of situational reads. Just hard to find someone big enough, fast enough and strong enough to cause havoc.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that he could help...maybe not immediately, but soon enough. They have a decent three man rotation inside with Rump, McDonough and Laing. That will be enough to get them through the first few games. What Simon could help with is if someone gets dinged, I think that there's a chance that he provides a better option than Caspers, Woods and Jensen. Just a series or two a game in non-mop-up time would be a HUGE help. I was hoping that Pompey would come around and be ready to play, but getting Simon here is a good substitute.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I think that by the time Texas roles into town, with the first 3 games and the by week to get some work in while the starters rest/heal, Simon and/or Pompey will be ready to at least sub in a series or two each have when needed. They should pick up the basics of the defense schemes and get into some resembling of football shape by week 5.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I think that by the time Texas roles into town, with the first 3 games and the by week to get some work in while the starters rest/heal, Simon and/or Pompey will be ready to at least sub in a series or two each have when needed. They should pick up the basics of the defense schemes and get into some resembling of football shape by week 5.

Unless Pompey quickly becomes a dominant force or we have lost multiple guys due to injury, I say redshirt him. He's coming off a knee surgery and needs to get to a Big 12-level of strength of conditioning. Unlike some skill position areas, I think it is important to redshirt freshman on both sides of line because they would have more long-term career benefits than just working in a few snaps in their freshman season. If you're just going to throw a body out there, use the 2-year juco Simon, Caspers, etc, in place of Pompey. Get that guy groomed and ready to compete at a high level next season. I'd say there's more to lose (health of knee) than gain by playing him this season, unless like I said we are in absolute dire need.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
YES!!! This is awesome news! Hey--it turns out that the staff DID know what they were doing last signing day!

That is great that he is going to be here, but I would think it will be quite awhile before he is in any kind of football shape or he learns all the techniques and schemes.
Fortunately, it's one way that the additional bye weeks will work in his favor, giving him more time to get ready before the season progresses too quickly.

thats what it looks like.

can someone inform me, what the hype is on this kid? he's a 2 star juco right? Is it just because we need bodies on the DL and he's a big body?
He started out at S.D. State, signing with Chuck Long, and was only a two star because no one expected him to qualify. We were in on him because Bobby Elliott knew about him.

Simon's greatest value this season would be providing the depth needed to ensure that Pompey can Redshirt. Anything else is gravy.
Kind of what I was thinking. And as far as next season, if he and Pompey both stay healthy and eligible, it ameliorates the need to bring in another juco just to fill Ruempolhamer's shoes.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE

Sort of trial by fire for a TFr DT coming of second knee surgery to be thrown in for his first D1 action against a hungry perennial powerhouse don't you think?

I say RS Pompey at nearly all costs. Obviously if something serious happens to someone on the DL (god forbid) get him in there but otherwise get bigger, faster, better technique for Q.