Herman int., Rhoads sound on Matt and Miller today

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Good interview guys. Things that were obvious from the interview:
  • Herman is a very smart guy (which we all knew) and very well spoken.
  • He seems like he is all business when it comes to football.
  • There seemed to be a quiet confidence about him. He said they have 95% of the offense installed and now they just have to work on perfecting much, much more of it.
  • I agree with M&M, we will be lucky to have this guy for more than 2-3 years.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I liked the interview, but I didn't like the way the hosts kept dancing around ISU not being able to beat Iowa. No they didn't come out and say it, but they said that ISU had a chance to be at 4-1 and listed all they teams they had a chance to beat. Not saying ISU will win, but to not have a chance seems like you are ignoring the history of what has happened in Ames the last few times. The chances of ISU beating Iowa in Ames are way better than ISU beating NU in Lincoln.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I liked the interview, but I didn't like the way the hosts kept dancing around ISU not being able to beat Iowa. No they didn't come out and say it, but they said that ISU had a chance to be at 4-1 and listed all they teams they had a chance to beat. Not saying ISU will win, but to not have a chance seems like you are ignoring the history of what has happened in Ames the last few times. The chances of ISU beating Iowa in Ames are way better than ISU beating NU in Lincoln.

Barring a catastrophe tomorrow, ISU should be favored in 3 of the first 4 games (all but the Iowa game) and could be favored in the KSU game if we start 3-1. So I think predicting us 4-1 is just being realistic.

Plus, no one outside of Iowa State ever thinks we will beat Iowa but we keep doing it so I'm fine with everyone thinking we won't win.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Sportstalkmatt

May 21, 2009
Des Moines
Never thought I'd get so much blowback from picking ISU to open 4-1 but I guess that 1 is rather large. I'm not saying it can't happen...I just don't THINK it will. I'm not god...I just don't believe it will. I picked you 5-7 btw.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Never thought I'd get so much blowback from picking ISU to open 4-1 but I guess that 1 is rather large. I'm not saying it can't happen...I just don't THINK it will. I'm not god...I just don't believe it will. I picked you 5-7 btw.

You'll get used to it....

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Two of us were talking about this at work today and I came to this conclusion. When speaking of the Floridas who 9 times out of 10 will beat their FCSII opponent, it's always safe to assume every year they will win. Now everyone in the nation looks at Iowa and figures the odds are exactly the same, but history shows as of lately that this is not the case. For whatever reason, this game tends to draw the best out of ISU and the worst out of Iowa (except for Western Michigan), especially when it's in Ames. Even when Iowa is a 20 point favorite, the probability of Iowa winning is still only 50/50.

So I assume everyone gets bent out of shape when the media and homers alike just jump to conclusions every year that Iowa is going to beat Iowa State, although lately the series has shown otherwise. I believe this is also why this game draws more buzz than lets say a Texas or Oklahoma game. ISU to head in to face one of those opponents is more than likely going to loose and already accepted by the majority of the fan base, but for Iowa that's not the case.

Last edited:

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com

I think Iowa State will be 4-1 but wouldn't be surprised at 3-2. Playing at Kent State will be more difficult than playing at home against iowa. ISU is just too young to run the table the first 5 games. Individually I'll pick ISU to win each game but I will certainly (hope not) be wrong at least once.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

Look at it like this. If you had just completed an interview with Dana Altman and you went on and on about how Altman is a great coach, yet after the interview you come back on and say, "But I am picking Nebraska to win the game this year."

My guess is you would never do that.

It's the same thing here. Why do a great interview, and then muck it up by saying, "Yeah, but I don't think they'll beat (insert whatever team you want)"? Why not simply say, "I like this coach's philosophy" and let it go at that.

Save your predictions for another time.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

You're more generous to the Clones than I am (4-8).

The thing is, if ISU is 5-7, I guarantee that 5 includes Iowa. Does Iowa have more talent? On defense and the offensive line. After losing Hampton, the difference in skill players is (dare I say) "glaring". I know the only games you've seen Arnaud play in are Nebby and Baylor, but I have a feeling you'll have a different read on the guy after tomorrow.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009

It isn't only that you picked us to lose to Iowa (even without their starting tailback as you said), you also stated that we'll be lucky to keep our offensive coordinator for more than 2 years if he's successful here.

You very well could be right on both counts, but you'll have to forgive me if I don't appreciate the new guy in the state automatically assuming that we won't beat Iowa and that we can't hold onto good coaches just because we're Iowa State.

Maybe I should apologize for being overly sensitive, but I'm tired of people assuming we're not capable of having a winning football program because we're Iowa State. I know that we shouldn't expect anything different until we demonstrate that we are winners, but I still get tired of it, especially from someone who doesn't know much at all about our team or our coaches.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
It isn't only that you picked us to lose to Iowa (even without their starting tailback as you said), you also stated that we'll be lucky to keep our offensive coordinator for more than 2 years if he's successful here.

You very well could be right on both counts, but you'll have to forgive me if I don't appreciate the new guy in the state automatically assuming that we won't beat Iowa and that we can't hold onto good coaches just because we're Iowa State.

Maybe I should apologize for being overly sensitive, but I'm tired of people assuming we're not capable of having a winning football program because we're Iowa State. I know that we shouldn't expect anything different until we demonstrate that we are winners, but I still get tired of it, especially from someone who doesn't know much at all about our team or our coaches.

I actually give the guy a pass because he's new here. I expect Murphy and Fales to know better, but when is the last time either of them picked ISU to beat Iowa in anything?

Sportstalkmatt

May 21, 2009
Des Moines
Look at it like this. If you had just completed an interview with Dana Altman and you went on and on about how Altman is a great coach, yet after the interview you come back on and say, "But I am picking Nebraska to win the game this year."

My guess is you would never do that.

It's the same thing here. Why do a great interview, and then muck it up by saying, "Yeah, but I don't think they'll beat (insert whatever team you want)"? Why not simply say, "I like this coach's philosophy" and let it go at that.

Save your predictions for another time.

Funny - I DID THE LAST YEAR!! Jays benched P'Allen Stinnett...I did my entire show from press row at Devaney...and picked NU to win.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

Yes, you are being overly sensitive. Just like a lot of people in this thread are.

While we could have done without the Iowa prediction right after an interview with our OC it's not like it's the end of the world that it got brought up.

Same goes for the comment of only having Herman for a few years. If our offense takes off and our record improves you can bet either a bigger program will want his OC duties or a smaller one will want to make him a head coach. It just makes sense.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Funny - I DID THE LAST YEAR!! Jays benched P'Allen Stinnett...I did my entire show from press row at Devaney...and picked NU to win.

Different situation, Matt. In that case, the Jays benched a player.

In this case it would be like you interviewing P'Allen Stinnett and talk about him being a great player for the Jays, and then afterwards say, "But I still think Stinnett and the Jays will lose to Nebraska."

That's the difference.

Don't get me wrong. You can say and do anything you like on the radio. I'll still listen. And I'll probably agree with you 99.9 percent of the time.

In this case, however, I just think the timing of what you said wasn't very good. My guess is if you would have said, "I'll be anxious to see how that Herman offense does against Iowa's vaulted defense. That will be a true test" nobody would have thought about it much.

And reverse it. Had you had Norm Parker on and then afterwards said "Yeah, but I think ISU's offense will chew up Parker's defense" you would have gotten just as many irrate Hawkeye calls or posts.

If you would have come out with your Iowa State-Iowa prediction, that would have been cool -- even though you are wrong. :wink:

Not trying to give you grief, but since you answered me, I thought I would answer you back.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Yes, you are being overly sensitive. Just like a lot of people in this thread are.

While we could have done without the Iowa prediction right after an interview with our OC it's not like it's the end of the world that it got brought up.

Same goes for the comment of only having Herman for a few years. If our offense takes off and our record improves you can bet either a bigger program will want his OC duties or a smaller one will want to make him a head coach. It just makes sense.

I don't think it's being too sensitive. I think it was in ill-timed comment -- as you pointed out -- and people are simply pointing it out.

It was more like a compliment and a slap in the face all at once such as "You don't sweat much for a fat person." (This is directed at you, d4nim4l. It's just an example.)

Sportstalkmatt

May 21, 2009
Des Moines
i hear ya but I picked Iowa to win weeks ago. I don't think Hampton being out is that big of a deal for the game in 2 weeks...wasn't trying to be disrepectful - just honest. thanks

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Agreed. It was like "Wow, you guys have a great Offensive Coordinator, but you'll be lucky to keep him for 2 years and you'll still lose to Iowa even though they lost their #1 tailback. By the way, why are you so sensitive?"

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Not to derail the topic here but even the biggest and best BCS programs have hard times keeping good OC's/DC's. It's the nature of the beast. A good assistant coach is always gonna have oppurtunities.

The key for CPR is continuing to hire good coaches. He's hit two home runs imo with Herman/Wally so I've good confidence in him.