High School Football

AntiSnob

Mar 1, 2009
from what i heard Newton is moving down to 3A once Ankeny builds a new high school. Then the conferences will go as follows:

Metropolitan Athletic Conference (this conference existed 20 years ago)
Dowling
Valley
Ames
North
Hoover
East
Lincoln
Roosevelt

Central Iowa Conference (same as the old CIC of 20 years ago but with additional teams)
Ankeny High
Ankeny North
Urbandale
Indianola
SE Polk
Marshalltown
Mason City
Ottumwa

Western Athletic Conference
Waukee
Fort Dodge
Johnston
SC East
SC West
SC North
CB Lincoln
CB Jefferson

Cycofan1

Jan 12, 2009
Yeah I play on the B team, the kid in front of me is one of those kids that is good at every sport he plays. He also plays on the All-Iowa Attack with Harrison Barnes.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
from what i heard Newton is moving down to 3A once Ankeny builds a new high school. Then the conferences will go as follows:

Dowling
Valley
Ames
North
Hoover
East
Lincoln
Roosevelt

Central Iowa Conference (same as the old CIC of 20 years ago but with additional teams)
Ankeny High
Ankeny North
Urbandale
Indianola
SE Polk
Marshalltown
Mason City
Ottumwa

Waukee
Fort Dodge
Johnston
SC East
SC West
SC North
CB Lincoln
CB Jefferson

If true, this makes absolutely no sense. Johnston in with CB and SC teams? Please no.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
oh wow, is SEP that down this year?

because ottumwa is never good? ottumwa is what i would consider a top program in the State not to many teams can blow by them... granted we play in the metro but until recently teams like valley and dowling have beat us but back in 2000-2005 we only lost 4 regular season games

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
because ottumwa is never good? ottumwa is what i would consider a top program in the State not to many teams can blow by them... granted we play in the metro but until recently teams like valley and dowling have beat us but back in 2000-2005 we only lost 4 regular season games

Wasnt necessarily saying ottuma is never good, recently they havent had much success, especially compared to SEP. So I was surprised by the scoreline...

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Dowling
Valley
Ames
North
Hoover
East
Lincoln
Roosevelt

Ankeny High
Ankeny North
Urbandale
Indianola
SE Polk
Marshalltown
Mason City
Ottumwa

Waukee
Fort Dodge
Johnston
SC East
SC West
SC North
CB Lincoln
CB Jefferson

That's just stupid, the WAC part is at least. Traveling that far for games is not fun. My junior year we played at Souix City West, at council bluffs TJ, and at fort dodge. It takes a lot out of the players having to travel that far.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Dowling
Valley
Ames
North
Hoover
East
Lincoln
Roosevelt

Ankeny High
Ankeny North
Urbandale
Indianola
SE Polk
Marshalltown
Mason City
Ottumwa

Waukee
Fort Dodge
Johnston
SC East
SC West
SC North
CB Lincoln
CB Jefferson

This would never ever happen. Waukee, Johnston, and Fort Dodge being placed with the SC and CB schools? The amount of travel and the expense involved would just be far too much. And it would just be too much of a toll on the athletes. The SC and CB schools will never get tied into a conference with the central Iowa schools. Just playing a couple out of conference games with them each season is more than enough.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Wasnt necessarily saying ottuma is never good, recently they havent had much success, especially compared to SEP. So I was surprised by the scoreline...

yes since i have graduated seems like our football program isnt up to the normal par for ottumwa...they obviously make it to the playoffs but when your playin the inner city schools where all of their good players get "scholarships" to play at dowling or their parents find "jobs" in West Des Moines its hard to lose to those schools. But SEP has had a lot of success recently they beat us a few times now its definitely a good match up for ottumwa. I am anxious to see what they can do against ankeny this year i think this could be a year where ottumwa gets back to its normal status.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Dowling
Valley
Ames
North
Hoover
East
Lincoln
Roosevelt

Ankeny High
Ankeny North
Urbandale
Indianola
SE Polk
Marshalltown
Mason City
Ottumwa

Waukee
Fort Dodge
Johnston
SC East
SC West
SC North
CB Lincoln
CB Jefferson

I agree with others that this makes no sense. Hoove, Johnston and Urbandale, all withing a 10 minute drive, would all be in different conferences? That would be weird. Also, I would think that Waukee would stay in a conference with Valley and Dowling, considering they are basically in West Des Moines and are starting to field comparable teams.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I agree with others that this makes no sense. Hoove, Johnston and Urbandale, all withing a 10 minute drive, would all be in different conferences? That would be weird. Also, I would think that Waukee would stay in a conference with Valley and Dowling, considering they are basically in West Des Moines and are starting to field comparable teams.

Waukee and Valley aren't in the same conference as Dowling today.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Drop the Metro or make them their own thing, then split the CIML into 2 like this....

Valley, Waukee, Dowling, Urbandale, Fort Dodge, Mason City

Ankeny, SEP, Johnston, Ames, Marshalltown, Indianola

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You are correct. My bad.

Though I do agree with you in the idea that maybe they should be. The geography makes sense, and I think as Waukee continues to grow rivalries with Valley and Dowling would only seem natural. I think the seeds have already been planted with Valley and they just need to get over the hump and beat them a couple of times to really light the fire. But there doesn't seem to be much going on with Dowling since they don't play each other as much.

kcclone33

Dec 15, 2008
Ames
Drop the Metro or make them their own thing, then split the CIML into 2 like this....

Valley, Waukee, Dowling, Urbandale, Fort Dodge, Mason City

Ankeny, SEP, Johnston, Ames, Marshalltown, Indianola

Why couldn't you just change the iowa and central to this and keep the metro the way it is, if you wanna go that path. I really dont see any reason to change them.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Though I do agree with you in the idea that maybe they should be. The geography makes sense, and I think as Waukee continues to grow rivalries with Valley and Dowling would only seem natural. I think the seeds have already been planted with Valley and they just need to get over the hump and beat them a couple of times to really light the fire. But there doesn't seem to be much going on with Dowling since they don't play each other as much.

I was just thinking about this and I wonder if they put Valley and Dowling in seperate parts of the conference so that they each could automatically get into the playoffs. In the same division, only one would have that chance. Just a thought.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Iowa has high school football :jimlad:

Anyway, not that you guys care or anything but high school is ranked #7 in Illinois.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Iowa has high school football :jimlad:

Anyway, not that you guys care or anything but high school is ranked #7 in Illinois.

I would like to see your illinois team play a small town iowa team and see what the outcome is...we have some pretty tough kids. You go to school play football and work on a farm and see how tough you are. I think you all would be surprised on how good our teams can be.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I would like to see your illinois team play a small town iowa team and see what the outcome is...we have some pretty tough kids. You go to school play football and work on a farm and see how tough you are. I think you all would be surprised on how good our teams can be.

I wasn't making fun Iowa football, at all. Illinois has 8 classes for football, twice as many as Iowa. I'm sure the top teams in Iowa could beat a lot of teams from Illinois.