High School Football

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Does Illinois have a seperate class for Private schools or do they use the multiplier rule?

May 28, 2009
from what i heard Newton is moving down to 3A once Ankeny builds a new high school. Then the conferences will go as follows:

Metropolitan Athletic Conference (this conference existed 20 years ago)
Dowling
Valley
Ames
North
Hoover
East
Lincoln
Roosevelt

Central Iowa Conference (same as the old CIC of 20 years ago but with additional teams)
Ankeny High
Ankeny North
Urbandale
Indianola
SE Polk
Marshalltown
Mason City
Ottumwa

Western Athletic Conference
Waukee
Fort Dodge
Johnston
SC East
SC West
SC North
CB Lincoln
CB Jefferson

OK this is ******** not going to happen

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
How does the multiplier rule work. I am curious now.

I don't know what the exact number is, IIRC, somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5 I think.
They take the school's population (If a private school) and take it times that multiplier and that is what is couned in the classification of the school.
Wouldn't effect the 4A's like DOwling and Xavier, but (and I know my numbers are incorrect) if a school like Waterloo Columbus had 500 kids, they would take that times 1.5 and they would use 750 when it comes to classifying for sports, and that may move them up a class.

cytyler

Jan 24, 2009
Ankeny
I don't know what the exact number is, IIRC, somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5 I think.
They take the school's population (If a private school) and take it times that multiplier and that is what is couned in the classification of the school.
Wouldn't effect the 4A's like DOwling and Xavier, but (and I know my numbers are incorrect) if a school like Waterloo Columbus had 500 kids, they would take that times 1.5 and they would use 750 when it comes to classifying for sports, and that may move them up a class.
Ok. Thanks.

sdmredsox

Dec 15, 2008
South Des Moines
The ankeny RB is Joel Lanning he looks to be real promising. The other back is Tyler Leo and i heard he is highly interested in us, and there is a good possibility he will committ to ISU

I coached Joel in Little League and he was a great kid back then. He's also one heck of a wrestler too. I wish him the best and the rest of his Ankeny squad.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
We actually have 5, 6 if your count 8-man. A, 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, and 8 man.

Not trying to start an argument, but why wouldn't you count 8-man?Same game, just smaller field and less players.

As a small school alum I just thought I should stick up for the little guys.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
wasn't much of a football community the year waterloo east beat them 96-6 and two weeks later waterloo west beat them 72-0. early 70's.

Now there is a harsh memory from a long while ago... That 96-6 beating made national news... one of the few times I recall Newton ever being mentioned on a network news program.

The late 70's and moving into the 80's were a much better time for the Cardinals. A runner-up to Roger Craig's Dav Central team and finally a title for Gilson made "Red Pride" actually mean something.

Since then it has been mixed results. I graduated in a class of 300 way back when. Since the town started to become a ghost town, things have to be "Rolled Back" to Wal Mart standards. No more Baxter farm kids; no more Mingo studs; No more hard-working Maytag kids. Newton is just... Newton... but that's ok... but they belong in 3A.

Hope Newton beats Boone next year!

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale

And why exactly do they do this?

kcclone33

Dec 15, 2008
Ames
Not trying to start an argument, but why wouldn't you count 8-man?Same game, just smaller field and less players.

As a small school alum I just thought I should stick up for the little guys.

I do count it. But i can't speak for everyone. I was just trying to avoid a "phs 8-man?! That doesn't even count!" response.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

And why exactly do they do this?

If I am understanding it correctly, I think it would make sense. A lot of private schools have more resources available to them and the better athletes in the area that have enough money, go to the private schools in a heartbeat. So, even though they have a smaller total school population, they have a higher concentration of talent on their teams. I think it would prevent private schools from "recruiting" a great team and demolishing smaller sized schools.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
from what i heard Newton is moving down to 3A once Ankeny builds a new high school. Then the conferences will go as follows:

Metropolitan Athletic Conference (this conference existed 20 years ago)
Dowling
Valley
Ames
North
Hoover
East
Lincoln
Roosevelt

Central Iowa Conference (same as the old CIC of 20 years ago but with additional teams)
Ankeny High
Ankeny North
Urbandale
Indianola
SE Polk
Marshalltown
Mason City
Ottumwa

Western Athletic Conference
Waukee
Fort Dodge
Johnston
SC East
SC West
SC North
CB Lincoln
CB Jefferson
If they let the teams in the west play each other more than 1 time they would get bigger crowds and save money on travel for everyone.

AntiSnob

Mar 1, 2009
just as an FYI, Dowling plays Valley on Friday. This is a rivalry that is ranked in the top 30 in the nation

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
just as an FYI, Dowling plays Valley on Friday. This is a rivalry that is ranked in the top 30 in the nation

Where did you find that ranking? Also, I think we are going to that game. My wife is a Valley grad and her little bro is going to Valley next year. It should be interesting to see how Valley does with their 2 returning starters. It worked out ok for them in the first game.