How did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
Serious question: How did this fan site become so co-opted by politics?

I don’t visit this site every day, but it is a surprisingly small percentage about Cyclone sports. A very surprising percentage of material is just political or unrelated to Cyclone sports. What happened and is this what can be expected from now on?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What are you talking about in particular?

The answer is because life is governed by policies, and that has been made political. You can't make or mandate policies anymore without the Facebook mob making it political

Yes, expect it.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
You can opt out of the politics forum.

Obviously the politics side is popular so the people running the site like the clicks that it brings.

Reactions: chadly82

20eyes

May 15, 2020

I don’t visit this site every day, but it is a surprisingly small percentage about Cyclone sports. A very surprising percentage of material is just political or unrelated to Cyclone sports. What happened and is this what can be expected from now on?
I opt out of In State Rivals so I don't see the Hawkeye content and the trolls it brings. YOU can opt out of the Politics forum so you don't have to see all us libs getting owned by real American patriots all day every day.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
You can opt out of the politics forum.

Obviously the politics side is popular so the people running the site like the clicks that it brings.
It is definitely this, and not that political conversations would still happen if there wasn't a politics forum. Making an opt-in area creates a place for those conversations to happen (and can be ignored by those that don't want to see it)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The biggest thing I see is personal beefs from the Cave spilling over into non-Cave threads. It doesn't really bother me, but I can see where if you weren't aware of certain personalities in the Cave you'd be confused with the reactions certain people get in non-Cave threads.

I also just think you've seen a blurring of lines between sports and politics lately that makes separating the two difficult.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
Have they considered making a sub forum specifically for politics? Then maybe invent some new technologies to somehow allow users to hide this new politics sub forum if they choose? Take it a step further and make these new changes very public and well known so there aren’t questions about it regularly? I don’t know. Just thinking out loud here.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Opting out of the political forums is the key to maintaining my hold on the thin strands of sanity that I still cling to.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
and it’s always the same side of the aisle that always brings it from the cave to the main boards. It’s never the other side of the aisle. Let’s face it, politics consumes these peoples lives. I’ve been opted out of the cave since day 1, but it’s still bad.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Have they considered making a sub forum specifically for politics? Then maybe invent some new technologies to somehow allow users to hide this new politics sub forum if they choose? Take it a step further and make these new changes very public and well known so there aren’t questions about it regularly? I don’t know. Just thinking out loud here.
That could take years and cost hundreds of lives...

20eyes

May 15, 2020
and it’s always the same side of the aisle that always brings it from the cave to the main boards. It’s never the other side of the aisle. Let’s face it, politics consumes these peoples lives. I’ve been opted out of the cave since day 1, but it’s still bad.
Yep, not gonna say it...but we know who they are. We've all seen them...elitists, nerds, libtards...talking about "The Constitution". Just shut up and play, AMIRITE?!?

• Dumb
Reactions: TXCyclones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron