How much nba do you watch

How many nba games do you typically watch each year?

• None at all

Votes: 100 49.8%
  • Most finals games

Votes: 30 14.9%
  • Most of the playoff games

Votes: 37 18.4%
  • More than half of my fav. Teams games + playoffs

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Nearly all of my fav. Team's games + playoffs

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Hundreds of games every season.

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
This big time. There was a point in time I was a CBB-only purist and used the same "NBA plays no defense, no intensity etc etc."

Started watching a lot of NBA as the Wolves trended up, and can't hardly go back to a CBB game unless its Iowa State or the tournament. There's a lot of what gets credited as "good defense" in the college game that's just reaply bad offense with no plan, and what gets called "bad defense" in the pros that are the world's best scorers beating really good defensive efforts.

That Denver-LA finish was wild, LAC-Dallas was great last night, and if you're hung upon the "bad defense" narrative, the Knicks and Wolves just put teams into absolute blenders.
There's a lot of truth to the bolded statement. Even Iowa State's defense--which is great, high-effort, and also has awesome individual defenders--relies heavily on opposing players not being able to consistently make the correct play or make all of their open shots. If they do, the defense can look pretty bad, like it did early in the Illinois game or the BYU road game. If an NBA team tried to play Iowa State's defense as their base, it would get ripped apart by players who are able to find the open guy and teams that almost never have more than one non-shooter on the floor (and many teams have 5 capable shooters most all the time).

Reactions: simply1

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm sure NBA offenses are very complicated to people that know, but to a casual viewer it's just pick and rolls and 3 pointers, it's incredibly boring. Part of the problem I think is the players are just ridiculously good and basically everyone can seemingly shoot from everywhere so it's impossible to defend.

Reactions: Raiders70

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Need an option for "some Playoff games."

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I quit when Jordan retired both times. Lost interest. I know they are super talented . I just can’t get into the way the offense works in the NBA. It’s not bad just does nothing for me
Same. It's not appealing at all. No defense and the players are wimps compared to the Jordan era. In the last 20 years I watched a couple of Bulls games but that's it. And I only watched those Bulls games because The Mayor was their coach.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
NBA is great! Especially the playoffs.

Haters are missing out. Their loss.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm sure NBA offenses are very complicated to people that know, but to a casual viewer it's just pick and rolls and 3 pointers, it's incredibly boring. Part of the problem I think is the players are just ridiculously good and basically everyone can seemingly shoot from everywhere so it's impossible to defend.

Especially in that amount of space.

Just watching where the pass is received (they're often about perfect) and how quickly a guy can get a shot off, etc. and it really does look impossible to guard all of it especially if everyone on the floor can do it.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Same. It's not appealing at all. No defense and the players are wimps compared to the Jordan era. In the last 20 years I watched a couple of Bulls games but that's it. And I only watched those Bulls games because The Mayor was their coach.

It was pretty much always known for no defense/less intensity in the regular season with exception of a few games or maybe the last 4 minutes in a tight game.

It all cranks up in the playoffs which still happens.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I’m a Nuggets fan, but locally you can’t watch them during the regular season due to a 3-year-and-counting dispute between the broadcast partner and cable companies. But I’d watch them as much as the Cyclones if I could. It obviously helps that both are really good right now.

I enjoy the college game atmosphere more with the students, bands, and Hilton. But the actual game, I much prefer the NBA (also helps I watch the Nuggets more than other NBA teams, who play a really beautiful brand of basketball).

I watch every ISU game, and root for them like crazy, but the style is hard to watch honestly. I’m 100% on board with Otz playing that way because we win, but the NBA is a more enjoyable viewing product to me. The skill level is so much greater at the next level, I’m amazed at what they can do.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
3 point shooting in the NBA has REALLY gotten dramatically more effective. Steph really did revolutionize the game. In a way you may be right that a long pull up 3 can't be defended 100% of the time and a long pull up 3 has become a really good % play for a lot of guys.

It's weird for me to see people get excited about Caitlyn Clark's long range shooting and passing but they've never watched Doncic, Jokic, Haliburton, Trae Young, Lillard, SGA, etc...if someone loves amazing passers or long 3s this is the greatest era of all time and the NBA is where it's at.

Free throws and mid range shots have always been dramatically higher % in NBA than college, kind of the "too good" you mention, but 3s have gone next level in the past decade. There was a Cavs game a few months ago where they had a comeback win and I think they hit 6 long 3s on 6 straight possessions to end the game, not even easy shots, just dozens of guys in the NBA who can hit the "Caitlyn logo" shot any time at high %. Max Strus was the guy in that game and most have never heard of him.

Even during Jordan's era players like MJ, Magic, Chuck, Malone etc didn't really need to be great 3 point shooters. If they played in today's game I'm positive they'd all be at least decent, some of them deadly. They were all great mid range shooters. A player like Bird would be even better and higher volume. Reggie Miller didn't even take that many 3s a game compared to what top players do now.
Certainly Steph revolutionized the game, but advanced metrics played a role too. Through the 90s and 00s teams prioritized volume over efficiency.

Jordan shot 32.7% from 3 and below 50% overall for his career. Kobe shot 32.9% from 3 and below 45% overall for his career. Both shot 20-30 times a game. Those numbers nowadays are objectively average to below average, and we’d be screaming for them to give up the ball more. But teams were ok with it back then because they were the Bulls/Lakers’ best players, so the more volume from them the more points.

Golden State ushered in a new era, valuing possessions more and high efficiency shots. They surrounded Steph with Klay (and then Durant and other guys) who spaced the floor which created higher efficiency shots pretty much from everywhere, especially with how lethal those guys were as shooters.

Teams copied that formula. And now you add a 7-foot, unicorn master distributor/scorer like Jokic to that formula, you become a practically unstoppable team.

Last edited:

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
They lost me due to a confluence of the 90’s all-stars retiring. They were in their prime when I was a kid. And about that time, almost all the games moved to pay TV, and I couldn’t always afford it, just starting out.

So my interest just kind of faded.

CPG4ISU

Feb 22, 2024
They lost me due to a confluence of the 90’s all-stars retiring. They were in their prime when I was a kid. And about that time, almost all the games moved to pay TV, and I couldn’t always afford it, just starting out.

So my interest just kind of faded.
The TV thing is a huge part of it. I've wanted to watch Niang and Cavs all year, but really haven't had the opportunity on YoutubeTV until the last week.

The stars thing is interesting. I thought NFL would have a similar drop-off in interest with all the major QBs retiring in the past few years, but they seem to be picking up right where they left off, if not even more interest with this new crop of QBs.

Reactions: CyCoug

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The TV thing is a huge part of it. I've wanted to watch Niang and Cavs all year, but really haven't had the opportunity on YoutubeTV until the last week.

The stars thing is interesting. I thought NFL would have a similar drop-off in interest with all the major QBs retiring in the past few years, but they seem to be picking up right where they left off, if not even more interest with this new crop of QBs.

Haliburton never played on national TV until he won his way into it with the mid season tournament.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’ve watched less this year because the Blazers are nearly unwatchable right now, and will be next year too.
I remember a playoff series where Dame got doubled all series and it made it tough on him. They lose series, he spends off season working on over half court shots as a counter. It’s crazy the range these guys have.
The shot making and play making is something else.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
My god, it looks like Niang gave up on his meal plan and conditioning I havent watched much NBA at all this year. He looks so slow and out of shape getting up and down the court with lateral movement out there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron