I am going to get torn apart for this

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Re: Can we fire Chizik now? If so, who do we go after?

I would like to see anyone here argue this. Best point of the night so far.

The more and more I think about this, the more and more this is turning into Steve Alford II.

Pollard did grant him permission to interview...did he not?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

Pollard did grant him permission to interview...did he not?

Yes, but that is just a formality. No AD in their right mind would ever deny permission like that. There would be no way JP would be able to hire a quality replacement if the stigma was there that he would do something to hinder a coaches career.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Man, this is just hitting me like a ton of bricks, but in my mind, Chiz is gone. I can't see any way he stays at this point.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Frankly, anyone who thought that Chizik doesn't just see this job as a stepping stone is kidding themselves.

That being said, I'd be shocked if he ends up at Auburn next year.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Frankly, anyone who thought that Chizik doesn't just see this job as a stepping stone is kidding themselves.

Agreed, sort of. Obviously this would be a stepping stone, but after 2 years?! I at least expected him to finish out his contract. :confused:

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

I very much felt Chiz would view this as a stepping stone. However, I thought he would be leaving it in better shape than he found it. Instead, he has ran it into the ground.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I think most people thought he'd at least have to elevate the program before he could head to a better position, leaving us in a better position for finding our next coach than when we hired GC, as opposed to being one of the worst programs in the BCS.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
Another great point. Things are really falling into place aren't they?

Do you all remember how indignant we were that someone would say that our coach was overheard saying, "he wished he hadn't accepted the job here"? That he wished he had stayed in Texas with his DC job? And then Chizik's response to the accusation/rumor was that it wasn't true?
I have to say that I think and feel that those comments were true, and all he was doing, was temporarily covering his back side.
I am disappointed today. I feel especially bad for the current players, and the recruits that Gene sat down with and told them that when they make a committment to us (ISU), it goes both ways, it is a two way street. I imagine those young men are feeling pretty much betrayed today, regardless of what happens from here.

Go Cyclones

Reactions: Tornado man

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I honestly think he's as good as gone. I'm an Iowa State fan, how am I supposed to be optimistic?
Optimism would be that he gets hired. Pessimism would be realizing that if he doesn't get hired we are stuck with a lame duck coach and many donations to athletics would be cut off.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
In two seasons, are we not 5-19 under his watch? It seems we are acting as if we are losing a coach with a 19-5 record. Folks, 5-19 can be replaced......even at ISU! Gene, you need help loading your truck for your new job at All-barn, or not......give me a buzz.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006

It seems like we just went through this doesn't it?

This way JP can sell hope the next two seasons to keep the ticket sales up! JP loves it when a plan comes together.

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
I guess I'm a bit confused at all the anger. When Chizik was hired, it was thought that he was here for the long haul unless one of a few elite schools came calling, Auburn being one of the front runners for schools he would leave for. Everybody seemed happy at the idea of our coach leaving because it meant that we would have had some success. But now we're angry because our coach is being considered for presumably his dream job even with only five wins in two years?

I can't say that I blame Chizik one bit for interviewing with a school like Auburn. He'd be dumb to stick around at ISU this day and age of fans and ADs wanting instant success if he could get a job like Auburn after having only 5 wins as a head coach.

A lot of people are following the M&M thought process and not seeing how this can be "spun" into a positive and how this is a PR nightmare. Maybe I'm incredibly naive, but I don't see how this can't be viewed as a positive.

1.)Chizik likely won't get the job. If he does, what does that tell you about Jamie Pollard. Does anybody have a doubt that he will be able to bring in a quality coach after he brought in a coach that could get hired at AUBURN after 5 WINS in TWO YEARS?

2.)We have a coach that seems to be strongly considered for one of the top jobs in the country. You don't think that will resonate well when he's recruiting?

People keep saying, "He obviously wants out. He's a quitter." Who doesn't want out of nearly anywhere when "out" is Auburn? Recruits would understand that, and I think it would only help in recruiting to have a coach that is wanted by Auburn.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron