I love Iowa State Fans!

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Iowa is a state with a relatively small population with $3MM, which is 30th out of 50 states. There are no major league professional sports teams. However, one huge selling point to coming to Iowa State is how huge college athletics are in this state. College athletes are treated like Rock Stars!

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I'd recommend Battles BBQ (in Campustown) even over Hickory Park. :daydreaming:

I second this, if you're looking for excellent BBQ, check out Battles. Then come on back down through Campustown and have a round with the students after we pound the Tiggers!

*Disclaimer: We'll be at the bars regardless, so come on down! :wink:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Okay and now I need a tour guide:biglaugh::yes:

Hickory Park is on the South Duff strip, as you enter town. It's enormous, where all the students take their parents, and has great food. Many go for their sundaes. Battles is right in the middle of Campustown, on Welch Avenue (Money knows where that is), and has the (slightly) better barbecue. It was founded about twenty years ago by a guy from Texas...who, unfortunately, passed away a few years ago. Still, it has great Texas-style BBQ.

I'd second that, but you have to try Hickory Park. The place is huge and has great ribs.

They're both winners.

But then, hopefully, you'll have plenty of opportunity to be familiar with both, eh, TheCity?:yes:

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Battles is the answer. At least in Ames, Iowa. :wink:

My opinion of good BBQ has changed dramatically living in Texas.

I agree. I think Battle's would be more Texas style BBQ, while Hickory Park is more of a Memphis/NC style. Battle's you can eat sauceless, and it rocks. Hickory Park relies more on its sauce for its flavor.

Both are different, but both are great in their own ways. Ames has some pretty good eats for a town its size. It also has a lot of things to do, without traffic being bad. While the culture shock for those coming from a big city is probably real, it is a place where you can actually focus on your education. I couldn't recommend ISU enough to young people looking to better themselves.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
if money does come to ISU I fully expect a Cyclone Fanatic callout in the press conference:) Something like instrumental in my decision, you know something subtle.

PS, how do I get a cool nickname, like Money or The City?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
if money does come to ISU I fully expect a Cyclone Fanatic callout in the press conference:) Something like instrumental in my decision, you know something subtle.

PS, how do I get a cool nickname, like Money or The City?

Be 6'3, run a 4.4 and make plays.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron