Interesting Roster note

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Just kidding around a little.

I think we were all saying that last year. It's never too late for him to prove us wrong.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
hypothetically, Bates would be an outstanding WR, but i think he would be comparable to RJ Sumrall. Bates is far more dangerous coming from under center. By the way, Bates DID switch from 8 to 7, but yes only because it is the number he has donned all through life.

And for who is wondering, I think Sederick Johnson is going to be a good reciever, just not as good as everyone is playing him out to be. he will be solid for us, about like Marquis Hamilton.

Jason Carlson will be very dangerous for us this year.

Do you mean as a freshman or after his college career is all said and done?

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
keep bates and arnaud at qb.bates will probably be the more physical run-pass qb and will probaly win the qb race by big 12 conference start.
put collin franklin at t.e
use hamilton at wide receiver.it might be interesting to try hamilton at h-back.the big running backfrom florida,schwartz,should be given a shot at h-back.
there are several interesting players that could play the wide receiver position-walllace franklin,carlson,sed johnson,sumral,messiah,and houston jones.give them all a chance to become the first team lineup.
houston jones was a qb recruit out of high school and is quite athletic and could play several positions.
i would red shirt tiller unless either bates or arnaud become
injured.
if wew can find the right combination of a qb and 4-5 receivers that have glue on their hands to haul in some passes,i think our football team could surprise a few people and end up with a winning season.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
And for who is wondering, I think Sederick Johnson is going to be a good reciever, just not as good as everyone is playing him out to be. he will be solid for us, about like Marquis Hamilton.

Jason Carlson will be very dangerous for us this year.

I thought Marquis was our best receiver last year, he caught everything and has that big body, so if Sedrick can be that good I'm one happy camper.

As a whole, I have to think we have one of the best receiving corps in the Big XII.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I thought Marquis was our best receiver last year, he caught everything and has that big body, so if Sedrick can be that good I'm one happy camper.

As a whole, I have to think we have one of the best receiving corps in the Big XII.

Maybe he can block downfield also.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

In the Big XII???

I think Tech and 4 or 5 others might have something to say about that...:confused:

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
If ALL Sedrick does is equal Marquis, he'll have a hell of a career at ISU. MH has impressed me, as have Sumrall and Houston Jones. Jones hasn't had many chances in the games, but every spring game I've seen him in, he runs good patterns & has good hands, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Of course, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Euseph Messiah finally has his big breakout year & wins the Heisman this December. I figure he'll have to make about 160 receptions and 30 touchdowns * to overcome the "Who the heck is Euseph Messiah" factor, so Arnaud & Bates had better get their arms in shape because they're going to be throwing to Messiah A LOT. :smile:

* I figure that he'll only be able to get 12 touchdowns against Iowa, so he'll have to average almost 1.5 TDs per game for the rest of the season to make his 30.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
"Jason Carlson will be very dangerous for us this year."

I can't wait to see him on the field. I can't remember the last time we had someone with his kind of speed.

Can he catch a punt????
Because that would be awesome. Our punt return game last year was downright painful.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
I dont think Sederick will be everything everyone expects of him his freshman year, ive seen some wicked expectations for him just because he is a 4 star recruit. That doesnt go to say that he wont have an outstanding career, because i think he will have a very stable and solid one here at ISU. Jason Carlson should be the ONE of the top men for returning punts/kicks, WE also have Allen Bell, who really wants to return kicks/punts and also wouldnt mind playing a little offense. He was withheld from doing this last year because of out depth issues in the defensive backfield. this year he should be able to do some of those things due to our increased depth.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Hamilton will be/is an absolute stud. Hopefully he steps up in the redzone this year.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
If ALL Sedrick does is equal Marquis, he'll have a hell of a career at ISU. MH has impressed me, as have Sumrall and Houston Jones. Jones hasn't had many chances in the games, but every spring game I've seen him in, he runs good patterns & has good hands, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Of course, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Euseph Messiah finally has his big breakout year & wins the Heisman this December. I figure he'll have to make about 160 receptions and 30 touchdowns * to overcome the "Who the heck is Euseph Messiah" factor, so Arnaud & Bates had better get their arms in shape because they're going to be throwing to Messiah A LOT. :smile:

* I figure that he'll only be able to get 12 touchdowns against Iowa, so he'll have to average almost 1.5 TDs per game for the rest of the season to make his 30.

Wasn't it the Spring Game of 2006, when Messiah caught everything thrown at him, even doing acrobatic caught beneath the turf catches?

I remember thinking that he could be the next big thing. We know he can catch the ball, anyway.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I dont think Sederick will be everything everyone expects of him his freshman year, ive seen some wicked expectations for him just because he is a 4 star recruit. That doesnt go to say that he wont have an outstanding career, because i think he will have a very stable and solid one here at ISU. Jason Carlson should be the ONE of the top men for returning punts/kicks, WE also have Allen Bell, who really wants to return kicks/punts and also wouldnt mind playing a little offense. He was withheld from doing this last year because of out depth issues in the defensive backfield. this year he should be able to do some of those things due to our increased depth.

Hmm, Alan Bell on offense. That is a completely new idea to me. Just gets me more and more excited!

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Phaedrus, what can I say? I've got a fondness for little unheralded guys who overachieve. Miller and Baum at receiver, Flynn at receiver, Smith at middle linebacker, and Jack Whitver going over the middle to make catches when you absolutely, positively NEED to get a first down.

Messiah seems like a guy who punches about three levels above his weight class, and I've been looking for him to have a breakout into the mainstream for a couple of years now. Hopefully, he gets the chance this fall.

Help Support Us

Become a patron